Cut Track Warnings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terlingua_RS, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Terlingua_RS

Terlingua_RS New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way to turn off cut track warnings? It's really getting annoying when I'm on a good run and the tire goes over a little then invalidates my lap. It happens in real road course racing and to a certain amount expected. I don't know if it's only in practice, but it seems worthless to me. Playing it on a dedicated server.

2. Cabriojoschy

Cabriojoschy New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What benefit would this feature have? Your laptimes wouldn’t be comparable, when you can cut everywhere you want. I‘m pretty sure it would be much stricter in real life, if it would be as easy to control as it is in a sim.
    Every sim has some „strange“ cut warnings, but disabling them wouldn‘t be beneficial at all

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You can only turn it off during races.

4. Terlingua_RS

Terlingua_RS New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thank you

5. Terlingua_RS

Terlingua_RS New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You get a cut track warning for going 1/8" over and touching a blade of grass or pavement that's beyond what the track considers "outside" the racing pavement. I'm not talking about cutting across the track to cheat a better lap time. When you practice, you push the car to the limit to see how hard you can go. When you slide too far off the track well, you know you've gone too far and remember that for the next time. What good does it do to invalidate my lap time. How do I know if what I tried works??? I'm not going around the damn track on a parade lap not touching the sides like I'm playing a game of Operation and a buzzer goes off when you touch the metal edges . BZZZZT You Lose ! try again on your next lap. Oh but don't slip off the track again or your next lap will not count either. That's BS ! Road course racing uses all of the track and if your wheel slides into the grass a little and you can collect it up and keep going, well that's just racing. I'm looking to improve my lap times like anyone else would do, but if I get a "your lap will not be counted " It gets in the way of trying to improve each lap time.

6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    OK...
    There are track limits. If you violate them your lap is invalidated and does not count anymore. This is how it goes and it's surely not going to disappear. You want to be able to cut and have the lap still count no matter what? Track limits are part of the rules. If you remove them, lap times are meaningless. I fail to see how anybody can not comprehend this. o_O

If you think the track limits are too strict at some corner, then report it and if the devs think the same it will be made less strict in a patch. But you will still have to learn the track limits and live with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I understand the mans frustration, to a degree.

What would be actually good is to do what iracing does.

Mark the lap as not "competitive" or something, but actually time it.
    I honestly also hate the fact that you lose a lap time completely, even if you had two purple sectors, and on the third you get absolutely nothing for it if you invalidate it.

Just make it visible, but not usable in competition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Technically you can see it once youre back on the car setup screen where you can compare two laps and choose any lap youd like (valid or invalid). While driving you can also get a decent idea of the laptime when looking at the hud while crossing the line but obviously that wont be really accurate but its something. Agree tho that itd be better to still get the exact lap time immediately and/or at least keep the delta running for the rest of the lap

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but when youre trying to get your groove on, to understand the flow of the track, you dont really want to get out, reset your car just to be able to see it.

A visible last lap, albeit invalid, should still be available while driving.

From the user experience;

its just frustrating not to see it. Id say even demotivating (OP is pissed as well!) to play. Even when youre pushing for time... sure, invalidate it, but let me see it and compare it.

Make me go for another lap, rather than making me quit, cool off, and reset to be able to see it and compare it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Terlingua_RS

Terlingua_RS New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    100% exactly my feelings and well explained

11. needlessfox

needlessfox Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    there is also an Tracklimits Issue on Daytona (seen at actual Multiplayer Online GTR3 ...), first sharp left turn, when driving right side of the virtual bestline, you'll get tracklimits penalty sometimes - almost not even touching the right tracklimit.

needlessfox

12. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Ha, I knew where @Terlingua_RS was coming from, but didn't reply yesterday because I wasn't sure.

Track limits aren't an issue. "Invalid lap" is not an issue.

The issue is that once you went beyond the track limits, almost all timing goes off, the delta goes off, and it's pretty annoying to be denied any useful information about your pace for the rest of the lap (and if it happened in the last corner - for the rest of your next lap).

I don't remember any other sim that does it the way R3E does. They usually just "grey out" your lap time, but the timing keeps going, it's just your lap is not saved in your "best lap" stats.

I don't see any reason why R3E does it like that other than maybe some technical limitations. If every other sim, including the old SImbin titles, can keep the timing running surely it can't be too complicated. This is not how it works in real life either.

And I also don't understand why it's still like that and why most R3E drivers seem to be okay with it. In other sims I feel so relieved when I go beyond the track limits and still see my delta. Do people not feel the same? Or is it an issue only for kinda hotlap-focused players?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Given the fact that the lap times are there in the car setup menu afterwards even that seems unlikely. Dont know whose area of work thatd be but maybe @J-F Chardon can comment or ask somebody

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terlingua_RS

Terlingua_RS New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Define "CUT" That word is has negative connotation that implies , in this case that a driver is trying to cheat. Like lets say Daytona road course. The driver is going to "CUT" across from turn 2 over to the entrance of the super speedway to improve his lap time. Of course that's not what I'm talking about. In the sim, having your wheel over the line by an inch is considered the same as cutting across the field is what I'm saying. There either needs to be a buffer and widen that zone or have a toggle to shut it off in practice so that a driver can continue around without losing the lap time where it is easy to see.. What I "fail" to understand is why is it so important to have it during practice but you can turn it off for a race? Why is it that I have to be careful not to have my wheel go beyond the rumble strip during practice because when I race, that's what I will most likely be doing and it's ok? The only reason I see that it is that way is to train you to stay on the track. I get it, but at some point a driver has enough experience where he doesn't need to be told this and should have the option to shut it off. It changes the way a driver runs the track during practice vs the race. By forcing the cut time penalty it forces me to focus on staying within a boundary, more than I should. It slows me down and discourages a driver from trying for the rest of the lap. Because I had it where it invalidates the next lap too. And man, that really fires me up.