Lotus Evora GT4: size of steering wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SchlesiM, Jul 20, 2021.

1. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a silly question, but I'm just curious: is it possible that the steering wheel of the Lotus Evora GT4 is a little bit too big? I mean it really seems to be unnaturally huge (even more if driving with VR). I really like the Lotus but it's giant steering wheel somehow bothers me.

I searched for some pictures of the real car and it seems that there are different steering wheels for that model, with different sizes. One of them (the red one in the pictures) also appears quite large. But I'm not sure. What's your opinion?

Lotus1.jpg

Lotus2.jpg

Lotus3.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    If that was me, the steering wheel outer diameter would be 13-14 inches. How far off is it from real life?

evora-wheel-size.jpg

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If looking on a normal screen the wheel and hands can appear bigger than reality because they are closer to the camera/eye point. This is also affected by the FOV setting you have chosen. Not sure how that translates to VR as I don't use it.

The comparison @Maskerader gives should be a decent approximation.

I'd think in reality the wheel will either be a 300 or 320mm rim.

4. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]SPARCO P300. 300MM

5. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it could help? You can also increase/decrease the complete size of the cockpit/wheel by assigning buttons to world scale size (if I remember correct, not behind my rig now)

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    So it's really a bit bigger than it should be...

7. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    fov will have a huge impact plus what you're describing is a 320mm wheel which is even more common than 300

8. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm aware of this function and already configured my world scale to the right adjustment. Especially for that reason I noticed that some steering wheels seem really huge (e.g. Lotus Evora, BMW 235i) while others have a very realistic visualization.