H-shifter gear engagement problem

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von Arcson, 8. Februar 2021.

1. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I recently upgraded my pedals and since then I have some serious problems when it comes to engaging gears properly using my H shifter. More often than not, this happens, ruining my pace:

I believe this is an effect of lifting up my clutch pedal too quick...? I tried to compensate it playing a lot with various settings (reaching extremes) such as:
    • Setting clutch upper and lower deadzones, sensitivity
    • Setting throttle upper and lower deadzones, sensitivity, release rate
    • Changing function of clutch pedal loadcell using calibration tool from linear to exponential (to grow slow/fast at the beginning/end as the pedal travels)
    But unfortunately this is keep happening. Maybe I somehow missed some perfect settings? I never had such problems with my old T3PA setup and I've been using H-shifting a lot. At the moment the gear engage smoothly only if I make the transition from clutch to throttle REALLY carefully - which is nearly impossible to focus on every time while fighting on the track.

I'd be glad for any suggestions :)

Zuletzt bearbeitet: 9. Oktober 2021
  2. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Even though I created this thread some time ago I didn't get rid of this problem. The frustration in fact led me to being reluctant driving H shifter cars. I'd rather like to find the solution instead as I really like manual shifting, so here I am again.

What I easily found out is that different H shift pattern cars are differently sensitive in terms of this... clutch slip? behaviour. For example Porsche 934 or Nissan R90CK seems to be quite tolerant regarding my accelerating & clutching timing, while the whole DTM92 or Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964) is nearly undriveable (see video above - as I switch to higher gear the revs oscillate for a second leading to me losing time every time it happens).

What is the direct reason of this effect appearing? Is this clutch being disengaged too fast? Too slow? Acceleration applied too fast while still having a clutch pedal pressed a little bit? @Alex Hodgkinson, if you don't mind tagging you here, as you are bound to know what I'm asking about :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 9. Oktober 2021
  3. SuperMonacoGP

SuperMonacoGP Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    agree, I tried every possible combo of clutch sensitivity and pedal curve - he sprints - but i feel exactly the same, dtm cars are nearly undrivable for that reason.

4. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    I've been using a TH8A H-shifter with Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro for more than 3 years without this kind of problem. I sometimes have misshifts but I know it's because I shift too quickly or don't press the clutch pedal enough.

Have a look at this video with the BMW M3 DTM 1992 (onbard camera with inputs at 1:40):

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1.948 / 0 / -0
    The behaviour in the first video looks suspiciously like auto clutch may be switched on and interfering with your clutch pedal inputs. Are you sure it's disabled?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    This was exactly the case! Under 'Transmission' settings it was 'Manual + autoclutch' all along. Changing this option to 'Manual' solved the problem for good!

I have no idea when exactly I got this changed, but it definitely had to be around the time I upgraded my pedals resulting me blaming the new set and looking at wrong places. Thank you Alex, I can now enjoy H manual shifting again ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1.948 / 0 / -0
    Glad I could help!

What it was doing is holding the clutch open for much longer than needed and letting the revs drop too much, hence jerkyness when the clutch was released.

• Informative Informative x 2