Similar cars to BMW m235i?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leto Tirdania, Jan 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Leto Tirdania

Leto Tirdania Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I mostly crash when I try other random cars than the BMW m235i, especially the fast ones.
    I am very inexperienced.
    But I would like to drive other cars for variation, but very intimidated by the amount of choices. It would take me weeks to try them all, hence this post.

So which other touring cars do you suggest that I should be able to handle if I can somewhat handle the m235i? I have bought most cars in Raceroom.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Try Mazda MX-5 or Merc GT4.

What kind of crashes?

3. Leto Tirdania

Leto Tirdania Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Crashes in corners. I tend to either brake too late I think and not able to turn, or I turn but slide out.
    Or I turn but not able to keep on the road after the turns exit.
    Plus more problems, all related to corners.
    And yes, I try to follow raceline, but its not easy.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I´d suggest the Audi TT Cup as it has standard ABS and traction control and is ront wheel drive so you are not likely to spin out.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    The BMW M4 GT4 is very closely related to the M235i. Very similar layout, similar weight distribution, same type of suspension setup, also has ABS & Traction Control. It's a nice step up without being very different.

However, judging by the issues you're having you may be better to stick with what you know for a while. Try to build consistency with it so that you can do lots of laps back to back within half a second.

You're probably struggling as you've not learned about using track side markers as braking points yet. Identify something before each turn such as a meter marker board, a trackside tree or a fence post. Use it every time you approach that turn as a reference point and you'll find it much easier to do the same thing lap after lap.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you're going to fast into the corners. Definitely try braking earlier and turn in at slower speeds. Once you get used to driving dynamics of racing sims it should be easier and more understandable for you.

While in sim/simcade career modes it quite common to start with FWD cars, I don't fully agree with it and would advise sticking to easy RWD cars because RWD is what you'll usually be driving in racing sims. FWD won't solve the issue of coming too hot into the corners, no matter with or withour ABS, and it can create driving habits that would be hard to change when you eventually would want to drive RWD cars.

FWD cars are worth trying, of course, but if your goal is to get used to how cars drive in racing sims, I'd stick to RWD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Karol Mały

Karol Mały Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Good advice above.
    You can also try the NSU. The power is not overwhelming and the platform is quite balanced and manageable.
    Good car for learnig the basics of racing dynamics at lower pace.
    Also often appears at rookie ranked servers where you have fun with it in the "wild" :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps one thing to consider before looking at the car is the input device setup? Are you using a wheel, controller or keyboard?
    All of these can be configured to provide slower or faster reactions at both lower and higher speeds so before changing car it might be worth adjusting the settings like sensitivity, steering lock, degrees of rotation for wheels etc till you find a comfortable setup that allows you to reach the consistency @Alex Hodgkinson mentioned.

One reason for trying the Audi is that as with most cup cars, car setup options are limited so you know you can´t go too wrong by fiddling with these-

• Like Like x 1
  9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Silhouette cars I like a lot.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Maybe for hotlapping but I find there is something off with their tyre deg/grip in races as the rear grip seems to go down a lot, so maybe not the ideal car for a beginner.

11. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Since he is inexperienced, perhaps, his FOV is not setup correctly, also compounding the problem of not "judging" the proper braking point/distance... @Leto Turdania please confirm your FOV (in settings) is adjusted correctly... make sure your monitor is as close as possible from your wheel.

• Like Like x 2
  12. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I do not doubt your experience, I still have a lot of fun with it, even in the race.

13. Leto Tirdania

Leto Tirdania Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the replies, very helpful.

14. Leto Tirdania

Leto Tirdania Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I like the BMW M4 GT4 I can brake sorta the same places on the track as the m235i. Thanks for that suggestion.
    I also found out what head offset in POV meant. I thought it had to do with head position in the car, but it was my real position in relation to my monitor, the UI could have clarified that better. Anyway that helped maybe a little bit with my perception of speed and distance. :)

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    FOV preferences are subjective, there isn't one "correct" approach. There's mathematically correct FOV and then there's FOV that works best for you.

For example, for me I found out I only prefer mathematically correct FOV when it's 60+ degrees, i.e. on a TV or a big monitor. In other cases, I use a wider FOV than what calc says.

16. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, mathematically correct FoV is overrated imho. Realistically you can only achieve it on a very large screen sitting very close to your face, on everything else it will be extremely restricting your side visibility.

What I DO think is very useful in terms of FoV is having it set up consistently across all sims you play. That way you'll be able to judge the distances the same way everywhere, at which point it doesn't matter whether things are at correct scale or not, brain is pretty good at adapting to whatever FoV you choose to stick with.

One thing to slightly complicate FoV setup is the fact some games take horizontal FoV, some games take vertical FoV, so for example on usual 16:9 screen the 65 degree Raceroom FoV (horizontal) will be matching 39 degrees in AC/ACC/rF2 (vertical) etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    This is definitely not the case

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Well, let's imagine someone who doesn't have a full fixed rig with a big screen mounted on it, but someone simracing on his regular PC, with something like G29/T300 clamped on the table or wheelstand. I'd wager a guess that's going to be most of the simracing audience (excluding even larger, more casual audience on gamepads and keyboards with laptops etc).

Lets also assume the person will have 27 inch 16:9 screen, which is a very common size of the modern gaming screen. His head will probably be around 70cm from the screen, which would result in a "correct" hFoV of about 46 deg, which absolutely WILL limit his side visibility to a point where he would have trouble seeing into apex in tighter late apex corners. Even with 32 inch screen, which is pretty large PC screen by the general standard, the correct hFoV is still only about 54 degrees.

It's winter, the next time it snows and you need to drive somewhere, only clean up the rectangle the size of the common gaming screen on your windscreen, and report back whether it did or didn't limit your visibility. Because that's pretty much what the "correct" FoV simulates.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I don't know why some people disagree with you.

Currently I'm on an 34" ultrawide monitor that sits right behind my wheelbase, that results in 58-59 degrees hFOV and even that is basically on the edge of what I consider acceptable for me. Anything less and I'll absolutely go for custom FOV instead of the mathematically correct one.

20. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Same here, but with the monitor 65 cm from my eyes it results in 63 HFOV. It's excellent. However, with a 27" 16:9 70 cm from your eyes, I'd just recommend hood cam with the standard 88 HFOV.
    Cockpit view on a small monitor with a HFOV that's too large is awful in my opinion.