Similar cars to BMW m235i?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leto Tirdania, Jan 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, I will try your FOV to see how much difference it makes. Because right now it feels like I need way more than +5 degrees to have a comfortably wide field of view... Hairpins are a bit of a pain. :expressionless:

2. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Just use this: https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/

If the HFOV is smaller than maybe 50-55, it might be better to go hood cam and a unrealistically large FOV.

Also, with a realistic FOV on a single monitor, you might need to practice certain tracks again. The reference points change, especially in hairpins where you don't see through the entire corner.

Personally, I'd rather play without FFB than without correct FOV. It makes such a massive difference. I find it much, much easier to judge the small movements of the car, crucial to handling.

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it gives the same numbers as the in-game FOV screen, it's 58-59 for me. I was just surprised that your FOV is only 5 degrees wider than mine and for you it's excellent. Wasn't expecting such a difference, that's why I want to check it out myself, out of curiosity.

4. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I had a 32" 16:9 before my current monitor, where correct FOV was slightly smaller. That was alright too, although every additional degree horizontally is appreciated when you're on the limit.
    Of course I wish I had more than 63 HFOV but it's enough to not limit my performance. In cars like Praga R1 it covers the entire windshield and some of the pillars to the sides - combined with a virtual mirror and radar it's fine.

5. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I am using cockpit view with larger FoV on the small screen, but with camera pushed all the way forward to the dash. That way most of my screen real estate is taken by the road, but I still get the right feeling of looking out of the car from the driver's seat, rather than being disconnected from the environment a bit by the external cameras.

6. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Sure, that sounds like a compromise between cockpit with correct FOV and hood cam with standard FOV (88 HFOV). But if you tried moving the seat all the way forward with correct FOV, it will probably feel very strange.