Opinions on New Tire Model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Allan McMillan, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I was able to get the Volvo 240 up on two wheels at Raceroom Bridge track but it didn´t roll. That´s another car with a higher centre of gravity and also very much body roll. The effort required with the 2 4x4 touring cars to turn them over is very low and not even at high speeds or touching medium kerbs or sausage strips. I guess as a BOP method it is quite efficient but is it intended or a glitch?

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It is

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, couldn't find anything about that in your link.

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    1st paragraph

Andi

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Well, then it complicates things even further...

From what I found, Group N cars didn't have ABS and they had 5-speed gearbox. 6-speed gearbox that Alex talked about in that thread is for Group A.

Looks-wise they didn't have side exhaust and usually didn't have a side lip. And then of course all these liveries and wheel rims are under question, they represent actual cars that were Group A, not N.

Probably it should've been just BOPed down to match other cars (or them BOPed up to match Nissan). After all, DTM92 were also faster than those touring cars, but they are now all BOPed to the same level.

Upd: Wild idea for future features: ability to switch between "original" and "balanced" performance for your selected class.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The Touring Classics used to be in the same PI as DTM 92 but the last big physics update 2 years ago changed that. I didn´t know they were back on the same index, indeed the classics don´t have ABS so they should be a little slower.

The Nissan might have a 6 speed gearbox but 6th is about as much use as any gear over 5th in a McLaren GT4.

7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I compared these three cars (Volvo, Audi and Nissan) on Nurb GP in Michelin corner (left hander after esses). They all want to roll over in a quite similar manner - same line, same speed. Audi is more sharp in how it wants to roll over in less expected situations, but the car in general feels more sharp than the other two, so it can still be a matter of driving approach.

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what PI they have now, but most likely not the same. I kinda missed the moment when they were split and thought they still have the same pace.

Well, just because it's useless doesn't mean it's now correct :D

9. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    the bias is just a random number as we dont know what master cylinders are in it, heck fwd cars dont even have working prop valves in this. as long as it feels good the number can be 31-69

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Allan McMillan

Allan McMillan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The new track limits are much more intrusive, however, and on tracks like Spa it is really hard to set valid times, especially when racing as there are so many corners where the accepted line is no longer valid and deviating is just weird.[/QUOTE]

Agree Vale, Have been disqualified a few times in multiplayer of late because track limits. Hockenheim , Portimao turn 1 both brutally unforgiving .

11. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Agree Vale, Have been disqualified a few times in multiplayer of late because track limits. Hockenheim , Portimao turn 1 both brutally unforgiving .[/QUOTE]
    yeah weve been playing with random combos to start the year. you can get slow down with 2 wheels still on the track, and i cant work out how the limits are being triggered or why they are the way they are now, but i have a suspicion its the center point of he car on the white line

12. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    wrong

Andi

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    yeah weve been playing with random combos to start the year. you can get slow down with 2 wheels still on the track, and i cant work out how the limits are being triggered or why they are the way they are now, but i have a suspicion its the center point of he car on the white line[/QUOTE]

Centre point isn't a thing. More likely a wheel is touching a material that is tagged as illegal. Please report any anomalies, the rule is one wheel on the track, any penalty for anything else is a false positive and needs fixing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I think someone needs to go round the tracks on the speed limiter to test this as it is hard to judge when running at full speed. I feel the corridor in Raidillon is too strict and that Spa in general is one of the more stringent tracks - you can see in races now that many people can´t manage a single clean lap but are not clearly abusing the run offs either. The first turn at Red Bull Ring is also strict but the issue there is if you take it too tight you hit the inside curb and that either puts the car up on two wheels or pushes it out to the left and over the line.

In both cases you really have to slow down a lot more than feels natural to make a clean lap.

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Felthat was doing a lot of testing for track limits.

In single player, when I think it invalidated the lap wrong, I always check it on an instant replay, and so far in majority of cases I was over the line. If you find wrong track limits, report here or on Discord.

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I am sure it wasn´t just released with no testing but there are two separate issues.
    1) qualifying laps being invalidated - not such a big issue.
    2) race laps being invalidated - sometimes it is "cheaper" to take the penalty than drive the accurate line, especially in non ranked races where rep doesn´t matter.

From my own experience I´d say Spa and A1 Ring are the two main ones where this is the case. Raceroom Bridge is the opposite as the penalties are often stricter than the cut merits. Zolder first chicane is also a tough one but it was like that before.

Chicane are the main culprit on most tracks but on Spa it´s almost every single turn except for the bus stop.

Ok or even lenient ones in my opinion, I have driven since the update: Monza, Zandvoort, Donington National, Hungaroring, Sonoma full, Mid Ohio, Sepang, Portimao, Hockenheim, Bathurst, Nordschleife, Nurburgring, Road america, Laguna Seca.

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Non should be any more lenient than others. The limit is (or should be unless there is a bug) the line. If people can't stay within the limits that's on them isn't it?

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I should clarify that lenient is in comparison with what we had before. Take the last chicane at Monza, for example, it´s now easier to cut and keep a valid time than before.

At Zolder and Zandvoort, on the other hand, it is now harder to cut the two fast chicanes there, before it was over the top how much you could use the kerbs and still keep the time.

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It is what it is. The new limits will be staying as they are. with any bugs corrected as they are spotted. People will just have to get used to it. There are options for those running servers to implement drive through penalties if they want to punish cutting.

20. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i suppose its just me ; but i have always tried to stay within track limits white line rule ; and now im finding that yes i loose the occasional lap time , but with the tyre update etc im still slightly faster lap time wise than before
    I think its just getting used to the new lines you need to run and honestly none of those lines feel off to me

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1