Why I feel the tracks are so small and narrow in the screen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yy31913872, Jan 20, 2024.

1. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello! I'm new to this game, and I love this game's physics, large numbers of the cars, tracks and the competitive prices of the packs.

But there is 1 problem that is I feel the tracks(including the curbs) are so small and narrow in the screen even I adjusted the FOV to 70. So I do not have 100% confidence to sure where the exactly my front tires are on the curbs in cornering to make a faster. My screen is a 4k 55". I have tried many tracks in this game, and I feel the same.

I do not have this problem in other games(such as ac, acc, rf2, Iracing), I feel the tracks are big and very clear to see in every cornering in other games.

Could anyone tell me do you have the same feeling? How could I adjust it?

Thank you so much!

2. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use the cockpit view

3. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind Raceroom is using horizontal FoV numbers, so setting it to 70 won't get you same FoV as 70 in AC-ACC-rF2, which are using vertical FoV measurements. But it seems that's not your issue, as you would probably have an opposite problem.

You seem to be using quite a high FoV, which does in fact make the track seem to be a bit more narrow. Try to use the calculator to align the FoV settings between the sims you are using.
    https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure what you mean. Have you tried adjusting FOV and seat position in Raceroom so that you have the same visibility as in other games?

5. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much! The FOV I'm using is 56° in my ac and 54° in my acc, the view looks clear and good. I tried the FOV-Calculator you sent, it equals to 84.5° in raceroom, but I feel the tracks are small and narrow in 84.5° fov in raceroom. The distance is 150cm(59") between my screen and my eyes, then the FOV-Calculator recommend FOV of RaceRoom is 44.2° for 150cm distance. The minimum FOV can be setted in RaceRoom is 60°, I can not set it to 44.2° and I do not like the FOV even 60° because of the view is too narrow, I can not see the steering wheel at all. So I will still set the FOV to 70-85° in RaceRoom, and try to sit closer to the screen to get a clearer view.

Thank you so much for your help!

6. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will still set the FOV to 70-85° in RaceRoom, and try to sit closer to the screen to get a clearer view.

Thank you so much!

7. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I have no experience for triple screens, I belive triple screens has a better view in some long corners than single screen. I may try triple screens if my this single screen is broken someday. I see a lot of people using triple 32”16:9 and looks good. I'm not sure if the view may look narrower if using triple 38" 21:9. I believe triple 32" or 40" 16:9 is wonderful.

8. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Your mention of not being able to see a steering wheel makes me think you feel like FoV is too small, which is weird, because usually sensation of a narrow track is tied to FoV being too high.

Assuming your 55inch TV is 16:9 format, equivalent of 56 FoV in AC would be 87 in R3E, which is quite high, given the distance you sit at, but if you're used to that, it might help. You can then move your cockpit camera forward/backward/up/down with the seat movement options independently of the FoV to finetune the exact view you wish to have.

9. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    It would be great to see some pictures of how the various games look like for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I mean in-game seat position. This is what my suggestion was about:
    - Pick a car that is present in ACC and Raceroom (and the same version of the car if it's Evo/Evo2 versions), take a screenshot of how ACC looks for you.
    - Pick the same car in Raceroom and start a driving session.
    - Go to Settings - FOV, set 85 FOV (because that would be the equivalent of your 54 in ACC), then press "Enter calibration mode". Here you'll be able to adjust car seat position to make it look closer to ACC screenshot. Also, you can click "Advanced FOV" toggle for more options.

11. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! Sorry for my poor English. Yes, you are right. I think the reason is the Fov 85 I setted is too high for 150cm distance, so I feel the track is small, narrow and the opponent cars are small as well. We do not like Fov below 70 because of I can not see the corner in whole to find a good braking point sometimes in Fov below 70. So I will still set the Fov to 70-85, and forward the seat position to get a lager track view on the screen, or I can sit closer to the screen.

Thank you so much for your help!

12. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend setting the FoV to be consistent across all your sims. Therefore 87 horizontal here if you like your AC/ACC settings of 56 vertical and use 16:9 screen. Adjust the ingame seat position afterwards.

Using different FoV across multiple sims will make it harder to judge distances and braking points. Lower FoV makes things look closer, so you might brake earlier than necessary, opposite for larger FoV.

13. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have just tried the 2 games(acc, raceroom) and screenshots both, actually I feel the sizes of the track on screen are almost the same after compare. So I may feel the tracks in both games are small for me, the reason is I sit too far (150cm) from the screen or the Fov I set is too high. Now I find the solution after all your guys' help. Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

14. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I will adjust that as your said. Thank you so much for your help!

15. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Great, happy to help. The view now seems quite consistent, but indeed lowering it in both games would give you more realistic sense of scale (with some trade offs in side visibility).

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    There's also a way to remove this excessive yellow tint in Raceroom, if you want. It's so noteceable when you compare it to ACC side-by-side.

Go to Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\Shaders\dx9\fx\moods, you will find several .mood files. Copy default.mood to something like default-backup.mood, then pick any other (I prefer standard_day) and rename it to default.mood. This is a preview of how all these moods look:

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    You can also mess with the colors etc using your GPU drivers. At least in AMD drivers I can adjust contrast, saturation, exposure and white balance for individual applications. For R3E I shifted the balance very heavily towards colder tones, increased the contrast, increased the saturation and slightly decreased the exposure to compensate for the higher brightness driven by the contrast settings. It made the game look far more natural without touching the mood files (neither of those is very good imho). I suspect nVidia drivers will have similar feature somewhere.

18. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, sorry for my poor English. Do you mean lower the FOV would give more realistic sense?

19. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yes, correct. You are sitting quite far from the screen, so "optimal FoV" would be much lower than what you are using. It is not necessary to reach this "optimal" setting which you can find through the calculator, but slightly lowering the FoV will get you more realistic scale.

Just keep in mind again, whatever settings you settle on, keep them consistent across the simulators using the calculator of the horizontal/vertical values. Consistency is more important than reaching the most realistic setting imho.

20. yy31913872

yy31913872 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I never know this before. I may try it in the future. I like the default excessive yellow tint so far, the yellow tint protects eyes more, make me have a pair of good eyes to use a higher FOV in long distance from the screen. HaHa!