Roadmap 2024?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reneaun, Mar 29, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I know but still its what the people keep requesting or what theyre listing as reasons why they end up choosing other sims. So even if they mainly race in ideal conditions, if theyre doing it outside of raceroom that still doesnt help raceroom
    Also agree, but for there to be good racing you need to get people driving (or come up with an industry leading ai). Looking at the multiplayer participation over the last few years you unfortunately cant help but notice things getting emptier and emptier and at this point i dont see how that trend could be turned around other than updated graphics/weather/night time/etc

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    While analizing why something fails, it's not enough to ask "why it's not popular?" and try to find one or two main flaws to focus on, but also ask "why WOULD it be popular?". An empty playerbase is like a default state for a game, it's natural. For a game to become popular it has to have good features and their combination needs to be good and/or unique enough to compete against other similar games.

It would be good to have night, weather and better graphics, but from this list, up until a month ago, iRacing only had night and it didn't stop it from being one of the most popular sims out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Sorry but your analogy to itacing miss the fact they run on a better dx11 engine

I have done the RRE mood graphics hack plus spent time to set RESHADE feel to what I like on top but you can’t deny that the base game engine is mega outdated

and if you want to make apple to apple comparisons to other popular sims they all run on minimum dc11 and deliver night rain and massive graphics bells and whistles compared to RRE

really I like the Game for what it has and I bought the full set back in 2018 with some additional content since but my time playing it has reduced massively

I am hoping VR that now runs mega smooth on my rig will help me coming back more frequently though

4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I guess you mean there can be performance advantages with switching to a newer engine? Sure, but that's only one of the points. When people talk about Raceroom graphics engine, some of them mean bad performance, but some of them mean that it looks bad or doesn't support certain gameplay features like night or rain. This is where my iRacing comparison comes in: it also looks bad and didn't have rain until a month ago (15 years since the game's release).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What I mean is, basically: Raceroom doesn't have a USP - unique selling proposition - and will not have it even with a newer engine. It will be better, yes, but it will still be a game that, for the vast majority of simracers, is "just there". People play AC for mods, ACC for perceived accuracy of GT3 racing, iRacing for multiplayer and perceived accuracy of simulation, etc. This is why they are popular - not because they don't have glaring flaws, but because they have something that they do much better than any other game.

Until Raceroom finds a similar point in which it will be king, and manages to bring it to people's attention, it will remain among the least popular racing sims. Not saying the devs shouldn't work on the game, I'm just saying that new graphics engine is not as big a solution to the game's popularity as some people present it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  6. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    @Maskerader
    At work now I will give you detailed feedback tonight

game engine is not only about graphics I will explain later my thoughts more clearly

7. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I think the multiplayer needs to be completely re-worked, which isn't going to happen. For me, it needs proper splits so you don't get 2000+ drivers in the servers with drivers on 1500 or less. Licences would be another good addition; they add a specific goal, which I believe many people enjoy. I suppose another option would be a partnership with LFM, such AC has done.
    Le Mans Ultimate only has one mp option for each rating class per week, and that seems quite popular.

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Actually it does. The USP is it is the only totally free to play game, so together with the low system requirements, this makes it a very accessible game. The problem is in player capture and, above all, retention.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    @Maskerader good point regarding the USP, but creating a new one for raceroom kinda feels like an even bigger challenge than some form of graphics update because as youve listed a lot of it is already covered by other sims
    I know that ones been bothering you for quite some time ;) and i think when ranked was first introduced that ultimately was the goal but that too only works with enough people playing. As is the rookie servers are the only thing with somewhat decent participation but if you go and divide a 20 driver server into 3 or 4 splits you once again only have a handful of drivers per server which doesnt make for a great race either.
    Regarding your other 3 suggestions im personally not a fan but if they manage to bring in more people that might be a sacrifice im willing to make :D

10. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I was meaning the overall Game engine

so it does capture the Graphics that are on DX9 looking outdated and pixelated if we leave it as it is, the CPU usage being single threaded so not taking advantage of modern CPUS, the day&night transition being impossible as RRE don't make us of an adequate lighting model, rain implementation not achievable either, VR performance also not taking advantage of modern GPU in few users reported scenario
    that's already a lot of things that concretely most of the competitors Sims have achieved
    still in few mins I will put my VR headset on and go for a spin to bring the RRE love back:D

11. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    think we need to clarify ; as with most things ;
    we need the api updated to a higher level to spread the game usage across the cores
    the physics side of the game is as far as im concerned is one of the best this doesnt need changing ; and if by moving to a different graphics motor we end up like automobolista 2 then ill stick with what we have

ps ;

the graphics engine is capable of rain , as is the physics engine

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Till then can i expect to get my 60 frames back as it was before the big FFB update.As it is now i don't play it anymore because NO FUN!

13. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i get over 60 fps ; everything maxed out most of the time and your system has more punch cpu wise than mine

so i have no idea why you dont

Andi

14. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure where I would have mentioned the Physics engine being a fail in RRE?

and I will not enter a fanboyz type of discussion in regards to AMS2 or behind the lines, the Madness Engine itself.
    graphically it was super in PC2 in both desktop and VR, only the aliasing left a lot to be desired. with the under the hood physics, there was a bunch of cars that were terrific to drive and a lot that were just a pain.
    Custom FFB tweaking helped to sort this out to some extent.

Now what Reiza has taken and made out of this Madness Engine now in AMS2 is nothing short of a dedicated superb progress

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    PS the graphics engine is capable of rain , as is the physics engine
    Ok then how about make it happen?

16. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Me too for years.:(

17. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Im quite curious, how did it end with automobilista 2?
    Also capable of rain at night?

18. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I'm not speaking for Andi,but i have
    no problems at all @1080p 60 hz v-sync everything on high - - full grid.
    Just perfect in rain and storm,wich i do not prefer as much.Night raceing too.:)

19. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested to hear your thoughts Andi, what do you mean?

20. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Probably the Jekyll and Hyde effect of AMS2's looks. Some areas it looks amazing, and in others it's meh. The game looks great, but when people are going on about how AMS2 is some sort of beauty queen, I scratch my head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.