Slow penalties do not make sense to me....

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von Stefan Mizzi, 25. Dezember 2015.

1. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I think that slow penalties are not realistic and do not make sense to me. This does not happen in real life.

At times, people end up crashing in each other as cars stop abruptly in the middle plus it can get frustrating and ruin some nice battles.

In my opinion, this should be dropped and instead the time is added to the final time/position.

Also, if a driver then overtakes another by cutting the track, the game can detect this and either give him a stop and go or time penalty at the end if he does not give the position back.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Unrealistic I agree, the way I've found to get round them is take foot off gas, you make the effort to slow down and in most cases you won't get a penalty and you only lose a fraction of the time, keep your foot down and it's the potential end of your race, most annoying is getting bumped off then receiving a penalty on top, sickner but not sure how other than time penalty at the end of race it can be done, anything else is gonna involve some serious logarithms and code crunching.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    it is not realistic for sure, but i cant see any better solution at this moment. unfortunately there is no logarithm which can say 100% accurate that you cut the track in purpose or not... basically you can turn it off in single and multiplayer (severside ofc) as well. However it is a good idea to implement other penalty systems as well, so you, or the server admin could have more choices to go with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    true, but somehow we still get slowed down no matter if we cut on purpose or not. slowing down creates accidents and ruins battles apart from being unrealistic. many times I run wide, get slowed down and rammed into a wall. other times I'm having nice battle and I run wide and slowed down. Fun ends....

I would always give the position back if I took an advantage. If one doesn't, the game can know. I don't thing that the algorithm needs to be very complex.

Time added to the final result would make more sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    But we already have a better penalty system. 3 cuts = stop and go like in Race07. This worked perfect but nobody uses it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Slow penalties make sens how they are implemented in Assetto corsa IMO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Jll02

Jll02 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    But could one not abuse this?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    The thing is, you and i and other dudes trying to handle this as is supposed to be handled, but unfortunately not everyone is like us. Many ppl around doesn't care much about fairplay or real racing, they just logon, join a multiplayer race hit couple of ppl, flying through chichanes, spin you out on purpose etc..., than logout without any bad feelings... so against them on a public server the slowdown penalty is fine imo, at least it takes them out of the pack, so they cannot bother others that much. And on a closed community server, where ppl trying to have actual racing, the admin can disable the slowdown, and they can make their own rules for penalties. However as i said before, i think it would be great if there would be more built in option for penalties.

9. DTMexperiencesteam

DTMexperiencesteam New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The penalties should be only for places where you can gain time by cheating and cutting a turn...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    One thing I don't get is the 1.4 seconds or whatever it is actually takes like 5 seconds.not sure what scale they are using??

I would prefer say +5 seconds to total lap instead, depending on corner, too. When I get a penalty it's because I butchered a corner, not because I want to cheat, but I hate the slow down and worrying about being in the way when it happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    slow downs for running wide just need to be less harsh I'm fine with how they are for cutting it makes sense but if you run wide you are not gaining much if any time so their is no safety advantage to forcing them to be served immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +460 / 0 / -0
    I would prefer a less drastic slowdown. A slowdown which reduces the engines power by around 5 procent for 20-30 seconds.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I believe that happens because you're keeping your foot on the gas so it keeps applying time. If you lift off the throttle you should get the actual 1.4 seconds or whatever the penalty is.

Simple solution to this, ghost cars that get a slow down penalty so other drivers can just drive through them instead of trying to avoid them. I believe there's already functionality for ghosting cars in R3E, hopefully they could just apply it to any car that gets a penalty. May not be "realistic" but it would make it far more useable and prevent the crashes caused by someone serving a penalty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I just was in a race at SPA and went a bit wide at Eau Rouge......got an immediate slow down.......and you can image the wreckage!

Race ruined and over for most. Luckily it's just a game :) Slow down penalties do not make sense most of the time.

Zuletzt bearbeitet: 28. Dezember 2015
  15. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    And sometime I get a penalty for about 3 seconds and while I go slower the penalty gets more up to 4 or 5 seconds..

16. DTMexperiencesteam

DTMexperiencesteam New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The same situation at SPA today for me. All out of a sudden a car just stops in front of me in the main straight - I crash into it some 5-8 cars crash into me. Race over for most players.

Some horsepower reduction by 20% for ~20sec. would seem more reasonable than a complete stop.
    Now its like the rest of the guys get punished because somebody else decided to cut a track as they get involved in unnecessary crash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    penalties dont make sense at all in reality , there is no game intelligent enough to judge all of the parameters of when you go off track ; run wide on own , pushed wide by opponent; contact from opponent ; avoiding crash etc etc ....

better to run on servers which are monitored for races , and then the staff/mod applies any penalties after the race

in SP there is no point having it on as the Ai are never penalised

Andi

18. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Slow down penalties make sense when implemented correctly (irregularities aside). What doesn't make sense is leaving the penalized car un-ghosted, which leads to the chaos you experienced. If your car had been ghosted you would have served your due penalty but none of the other drivers would have had their races ruined.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jll02

Jll02 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Simraceway had a very good and complicated track limit system.
    Perhaps it was more primarily designed for hotlaps, but during a lap (not during a race lap, however), if you went off track, it would calculate the speed at which you went off, taking into accountother factors as well, before adding a suitable amount of time penalty to your lap (a couple of tenths to two whole seconds). During a race, as long as you slowed down appropiately, you wouldnt get penalised for going off track in some areas.

20. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    This is supposed to be a simulation. I don't know in which racing series, the ECU can be triggered so that the power is cut down for x seconds. Kills the immersion for me a lot. As would ghosting out cars (obviously).

Race07 already had a in my opinion near to perfect penalty system.
    You cut once, you get a warning and your hotlap is not counted.
    You cut twice, you get another warning and your hotlap is not counted.
    You cut a third time and you can go into the pits and serve a stop-and-go-penalty.

That's pretty much, how most real series handle track limits aswell. Can't be that hard to implement as Race07 did have it that way...

To be honest I can't believe that there are some many completly unrealistic proposals for a simulation. Not an arcade-game!

• Agree Agree x 4