Paddle/sequential shifters vs H shifters

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von Azfalt Raser, 22. März 2016.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    In cars that have an H shifter, are there plans to implement an update to replicate heel toe downshifting when people use paddle or sequential shifters?

I don't have an H-shifter, but I felt as if using my paddle shifter was an advantage because there didn't seem to be any "lag" from trying to heel/toe downshift. I could row through the downshifts pretty quickly in game, compared to how long I remember from using the heel/toe method in a real car.

Then I found this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +460 / 0 / -0
    What we need is some kind of balancing.
    BOST, balancing of shifting technique.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    "BOST"? Not familiar with that acronym.

As the video indicates, the act of downshifting using an H-shifter tends to make the car more unstable.
    Perhaps, implementing the throttle blip, no engine drive or engine braking during replicated clutch use would also create this instability, Then the driver skill will come more into play.

The H-shifter upshifts are already replicated for paddle/sequential shifters. I'm thinking some H-shifter people can upshift faster/slower than the replicated upshift available for the auto shifters. So we have that time variation. It would be the same for a replicated downshift. Some H-shifters may be faster, some may be slower.

Unless I'm a dumb*** and it's already in the game and I just haven't noticed it. :oops:
    If I am, feel free to point that out.....the dumb*** part. I won't take offense for putting up a useless post :confused:

4. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +460 / 0 / -0
    No that would be somthing new i guess :p

Upshifts is rarely the major challenge . Check out the video, he is fast :) But it`s another thing to do it for thirty minutes during an online race.

• Like Like x 1
  5. _Stu_

_Stu_ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I like the way he's got the telly on lol

6. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    cool Sim racing video - i may be wrong, but i get the impression this guy does not practice heel toe often, as it gets alot more natural and enjoyable with practice - less fatiguing. I wont argue with it slowing you down, but the fun once you have it down is worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I agree.
    And I want to get a shifter for my Thrustmaster, so I can experience that fun!!!! Doesn't matter how much I'm slower, it's the racing experience I'm after.

To be fair, I haven't actually tried the Thrustmaster shifter, but from what I have seen, it just doesn't seem like it's very solid or gives you a realistic feel? I don't know. Never tried one. But I don't think I have ever owned a real car where I could shift with just a couple of fingers on the shifter knob in all gears.
    Can anyone chime in, if they have one? I'm sure it does the job.

But.... I see some of these specialty (full metal) sequential shifters and some of them look like they have a realistic action/sound and feel to them. Are there any custom H-shifters out there that someone has tried?

8. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I always operate the shifter in my real car with just two fingers. That is how it was taught at my driving lessons, which were already quite some time ago. They explicitly warned me against using the full fist. They were not racing lessons though.

9. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I use a TH8A and it works quite well, a lot better than the Act Labs shifter I had back in the day. It's fairly solid and pretty precise going through the gates (again, much better than the 'ole Act Labs) and you can tighten or loosen the resistance of the shifter stick with a little screw on the side of the shifter housing. Of course it doesn't feel like the real thing, but hey: there's no gear box attached to it ;)
    There's probably better H-shifters on the market, but they will cost you a whole lot more than the TH8A.

And btw: I can shift with 2 fingers on the stick in my real car as well, at least when moving the stick to the bottom gates. For the top gates and reverse gear I need 3.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Guess I'm looking at premium, custom equipment that I couldn't afford anyway. I had better look at the TH8A. I didn't realize the resistance could be adjusted.