Administrator Rights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fl0wf1r3, Apr 30, 2016.

1. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    why do have to start raceroom as an admin on windows? I am using w10 x64. Normally I am not using admin rights in my profile but raceroom always wants to start with admin right. why is that necessary? my UAC is set to the second highest level

thx

2. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Interesting as I'm also running Windows 10 64 and mine does not start with administrator rights. Is it possible you have some launch options set that are affecting this?

3. SludgeDetector

SludgeDetector New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Try dropping it to the lowest setting in UAC if you haven't all-ready tried??

4. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Shouldn't be necessary. They stated they're using the second highest whereas I'm currently using the second lowest but the only difference between those 2 settings is one dims the rest of the screen and the other doesn't. Setting it to the lowest setting would only turn off the warning about admin rights across their entire machine, which I doubt they want.

5. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Where do you have Steam/R3E installed? FYI, I wouldn't install any games to Program Files (and ...x86), these folders have higher OS security controls in place and if the developer isn't careful to properly utilize the users' profile for modifiable files you will run into security privilege issues (administrator permissions required). Modding files can also cause issues with games in this system folders.
    Yes, security can be lowered (UAC) but that isn't a good solution in my opinion if you want (and should) maintenance best security practices.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  6. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Wow, thanks a lot for the information. IF two profiles on my pc, one as administrator and one as a normal user. I think I installed the program in the administrator profile. When I'm in my normal profile and that start raceroom, I get a window asking me whether I want to run it in my user profile 2 or 1. Sorry for the confusion. 1 is the admin and 2 normal user. Every time I have chosen to profile 1. Now I have chosen profile 2 and the installation routine started. Obviously it didn't install anything and the program started, it works. Yes, I have installed the program and the normal program files folder on drive C. Perhaps, I should deinstall it and reinstall it again on drive D. Is it possible to do this without downloading everything again. Interesting situation, it never happened before :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ok,fixed it :) puu, I don't know why, but I had this problem before with Steam. Steam always wanted to start with admin privileges. I changed the security settings of the Steam folder to fix it but it didn't help. Now I changed it back. Normal permissions for "user" again :) it works now :) but thanks again !!

upload_2016-4-30_21-38-28.png

• Informative Informative x 1