Ai "weight" in relation to collisions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leper Messiah, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm really getting back into R3E after a pretty long time. Having a blast, but I'm still getting one issue that wound me up back in the day. I.e. the way the Ai feels like it's driving a tank when I'm in a collision with it, specifically rear end taps (I'll STRESS the "tap" as I'm not smashing into the Ai, just little "love taps" that happened often in tin tops), in these situations 100% of the time I'll lose control and pretty much spin off the track while the Ai trundles on it's merry way as if nothing happened. In pretty much all forms of motorsport I've watched (tin tops of course) the car in FRONT will have various levels of losing control and the car behind suffers only a damaged front. At the risk of mentioning the unmentionable, I had a race at Brno in Project CARS at 80% and had a little tap on an Ai, the Ai was shoved wide quite a bit and I went wide a little bit, no spins no real drama other than half a second or so dropped for both Ai and me (maybe a second for the Ai). Not perfect but loads better than what would have happened in R3E (which would have been I spin out and Ai trundled on it's merry way again).

Is this ever going to be addressed? Not a deal breaker but can be a monumental PITA at times!

I don't know if it's related but I feel the Ai has WAY different braking to me, like it can brake VERY late VERY hard, even if I brake early I can often still "tap" the rear of an Ai and have the "spin of doom". (Ai usually set to 95%)

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    This may work may not, in your controller profile have a look for this line :
    FFB jolt magnitude="0.0" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
    I would imagine -2.0 would be the weakest and 2.0 very strong, dont know havnt tested it, but may be worth a try.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmmm before I understand what you mean but since the latest update, I feel if you hit an AI car you both spin as before it would only be you. So I'm sure this has been fixed as far as I'm concerned. The braking thing I just don't see sometimes I can even out brake the AI a bit too easily (ai around 100), only the m1s did I feel the AI can out brake me frustratingly. No other cars?!

4. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    AI cars being like tanks is still there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    So the theory is that the jolt in ffb is making me spin? hmmmm, I'll try that out!

6. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well as far as I was aware (as I span) the Ai got round the corner ok in the incident yesterday, so not sure if it's fixed....even so the car behind shouldn't spin at all surely? I'm certain that roles reversed and the outcome is similar, Ai has minimal consequences and I spin out. Which is what usually happens in reality, but not what happens when I rear end the Ai.

Regarding braking, I was in the ADAC '13 cars...do they have ABS? I don't run with aids (even if the series allows it). Does the Ai utilise aids?

7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Both issues are still present. Collisions are still funky and the AI can stop real quick at the end of a braking zone.

You'll still spin with a pad so I can knock that theory on the head right here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up on that James......I just wish someone would crack a Racing Ai plug in and license it to anyone who wants it!!

9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
  10. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    hmmmm I had a reasonable race last night v 95% ai ADAC '13 at Oschersleben, I did actually manage to spin out an Ai so maybe it has improved a bit. But the race highlighted some really bad Ai. I was lapping a Corvette (yes I need to up the ai next race!) and it span at "turn 4", no biggy and nice to see the Ai make mistakes....BUT as I passed him (and I slowed down to hug the inside line) he just rejoined the track full tilt and t boned me!!

Also despite not having tyre wear and mandatory pit stop NOT ticked the Ai still pitted in a 30 min race. No idea if all of them pitted or if it was to repair damage. But I won by a mile so I think all cars pitted. Oh and lapped cars still seem a bit too aggressive at times. although not as bad as I remember (IIRC they ALL fought when being lapped in the past, some seemed to submit last night)

I'm not singling out R3E, Ai issues are in most sims I play. But How hard is it to have multiple Ai lines on a track, I realise it's more work but would surely solve a lot of issues with a bit of logic to help the Ai decide which path to follow. i.e. fwd and rwd may have different lines, more and less powerfull cars will have different lines, there needs to be a line (or two) for safe returns to the track after an incident and or being lapped (where the awareness of the Ai to other cars is also increased). You could also have different lines for wet and dry?

As I say I understand it's a colossal amount of Aiw work, but it would surely help and drive (heh) Ai to greater heights?

Interesting, are they full size or RC size vehicles? Wasn't clear in the article. I wonder if an "ai" devoted to racing round a circuit will avoid incidents? ;)

11. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Thought it was full size, running on tracks as formula e and going 300 km/h max.

As for aiw, I wonder if all the race data from humans (leaderboards, SP/mp races) can't be used somehow. With all the talks about deep learning and such...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Cool I'll keep an eye out for that then!

The problem I see with human lines is that I would imagine there's a vast difference between people....that would add even more complexity......but I DO like the idea. Imagine the ability to get the Ai to learn from the Professional racers!! ;)

13. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm I'm not sure the weight is such an issue now, I did a practise session at Spa, outbraked an Audi going into the bus stop and there was a Nissan further down turning in and with me homing in like a rogue nuke....needless to say the extra squeeze on the brakes (as I exclaimed an expletive) locked 'em up and I tapped the Nissan's big ole butt and it span out while I went on my merry way. So maybe not tanks any more?

Flipping loving this game at the moment!

14. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Posted this ages ago, well simillar, the ability to pick a ghost time\line and tell the ai they are expected to keep within x% of this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The hard part is that AI must react to others naturally as well. So it cannot be rails.
    But AI coding I think is a lot of magic value tuning. Maybe one could use real data to find good values for that. Just brute force simulating races over and over self modifying code. But just thinking loud, no clue if that would really apply.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I think this is the holy grail of Ai "reacting naturally". Games haves pretty much got the "follow a racing line at various speeds" pretty much sorted (give or take!) with the suggestions of "learning" lines from players to help further refine it, but it's the actually "racing" and the untold millions of calculations a human brain must do over a course of a race. The more I think about t the more I think it's a daunting task for anyone to attempt, especially as the user base will pick up on the slightest issue and complain vociferously (me included!). We'll see how those Ai controlled race cars will fair....with everything devoted to Ai (a luxury simgames just do not have!).

17. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Sounds a little like the ai learn mode used a while ago, give it a car a track and tell it to find the fastest path possible, making the car go around the track relatively speaking is the easy bit, the intelligence, the natural behaviour is where the coder earns his corn. You only have to watch the ai to see how unnatural they look racing with each other, they look digital\rigid\square they are either on or off with not a lot inbetween.