Any Dummy's Guide to how to interpret FFB?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael L, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Is there a "dummy'guide to interpret FFB and its effects on the car" somewhere? I searched but couldn't find any. What I like to read is how to feel the car from the perceived ffb, as I was never sure what I felt was correct. Something like 'when turning, if the steering goes light from heavy, you are understeering' or something to that effect.
    I'd appreciate any pointer as I was never sure how to interpret it correctly.

Thank you!

2. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Since I never drove a race car IRL so I have no clue how is understeer or oversteer supposed to feel, or how does the effect of losing the back end or spinning around affect steering force...
    That's what I'm trying to learn. Thank you.

Driving a car to/from work and on road trip didn't really teach one about race car performance :)

3. carlos de hoz

carlos de hoz Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I think with the new update. Little understeer or oversteer you can feel, in theory someone tested .different steering wheels and they gave them some values, which should be correct, so use the default, and if you don't notice anything, try another game and value yourself, in the end this is a matter of taste, a true-to-reality ffb, it would be bad enough. to report some forces through the steering wheel that sits on your buttock would no longer be true to reality, I prefer non-reality

4. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks but I wasn't talking about the update. I read here that some can "feel the weight transfer" or "correct the oversteer by feeling it". That's what I'm trying to learn how to feel what they feel.

5. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Laps, laps and even more laps is all you can do. The way one person interprets what he feels will be different to someone else. The different wheels will also have an effect on that feeling.
    Sorry, there is no substitute for getting in and doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I understand that. I drive the same car on the same track just to learn but I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I understand that everyone feels differently but the ballpark should be the same. E.g, one can't treat a light steering wheel as understeer while the other treats it as oversteer, in a complete opposite way. It's this ballpark that I try to learn. Otherwise I just don't know what I don't know. Thanks.