Assetto Corsa Competizione

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, May 31, 2018.

1. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Have you updated to the ACC release Nvidia driver? Not a fan of the game, but it's running just as shit as before for me, not worse :D

2. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I have installed 430.86 Nvidia drivers for day one support of final release of ACC (I was using 419.35 wih 0.7.2), and it worked just as before, not any better, but not worse either.

Maybe you are a tad to high on some graphics settings, you need to be almost on lowest everywhere even with descent HW...

To get 90fps in almost every circumstances with 130% VR Pixel Density (good tradeoff for "clarity" vs performance) here are my settings (VR pixel density shows 100% grayed out because I ran 2D for screen capture...):

upload_2019-5-30_15-23-48.png
    upload_2019-5-30_15-24-3.png
    upload_2019-5-30_15-24-18.png

3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ah, two guys were faster than me. :) I had uodated he driver, yes, but it seems the deinstallation went not clean. However, I just have posted the following ovcer at Kunos'S forum, it explains the problem - and how I solved it. Its not just the new driver, but a clean reinstallation of the old driver as well. nVidia gives bad avise there.

[quote ]
    As I said yesterday, i had tremendous performance issues with 1.0 where in 0.7.2 everything was fine.

As some may have read somewhere and others maybe not, it is recommended when updating ACC to delete the MyDocuments ACC folder. - I did that, but it did not prevent the drama last night.

Also it is recommended somewhere - I did not read it directly but heard second hand of it - to update the driver for the gfx board. I was on 416.xx, and updated to 430.86 by uninstalling via Windows panel, rebooting, and installing 430.86, rebooting again, et voila. It did nothing for me last night, it all was a mess.

I had just updated the game, not reinstalled it from scratch initially. This morning however, i also reinstalled it from scratch. - The mess was still the same. Curse volume rose to a new level.

I then talked to somebody on the phone, an old former collegue and kind of a buddy, or not buddy, or - well, its complicated, lets leave it to that I got his advise to not follow nVidias own installation rules on their website (they say what I did above: Windows panel etc etc), but to use the DDU tool to uninstall the driver. I thought these times it were out of mode to still use this tool, last time I did must have been WinXP times.

I just uninstalled the 430.86 driver via DDU, and reinstalled it again after a reboot, and rebooted, and went into the sim - GRAPHICS WORK FLAWLESSLY NOW, smooth frames, no stuttering visible at all, menues not stuttering as well, everything is fine.

If you are in VR and am hit by graphics performance apocalypse, it might be a chance to check this way out even if many say it is not necessary and a little bit outdated in Win10 times. For me, it solved what before had turned the sim into a dead body for me. It now is back amongst the living and looks and performs the same - to my eyes at least, in VR - as 0.7.2 .

I can now go into it and start doing what other already were able to do yesterday. The problem seems to have been unclean GFX driver deinstallation. nVidia should know it better - and give better advis eon their website.

If others try this and can confirm success, we owe it then to Kunos to declare them innocent over this one issue that obviously then would be beyond their control and responsibility. Moral of the day: neither use Windows Panel to deinstall graphics drivers, nor install the new one just over the old one (as some people seem to do), but use a dedicated 3rd party tool (DDU) to do a clean install. Just nVidia's recommendation on their website is insufficient: I followed it in the past and was lucky, but this time I got heavily bitten by it.
    [/quote]

4. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    That's quite an adventure :laughing:
    Seems Windows and Nvidia mysteries can't be solved!
    I haven't deleted anything prior to the 1.0 update, just driver update and it was working as expected. At least you found ways to overcome the issues you had, but I can understand the frustration while it was not working at all...

5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Back in the Windows XP days everything was better, and also the climate still was safe. LOL

6. Pales

Pales New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    What a disappointing launch. Lacks critical refinement in all areas, has not fulfilled what was advertised (driver swap motion capture and pit animations), AI are unable to overtake slower traffic and career mode is so bland.

I expected more..

7. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Are the pit crews gone, if changing tires?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    There Broken and will be back soon they say

9. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Sound is up there with Raceroom i'll give them that FFB with my Sparco wheel is great.Not like Racerooms is just so good.
    Now UE4 crashes more than 12 crashes today whole beta had none what so ever...
    even streamer's having same issue's.
    Join a Mutilplayer race crash! Someone joins the server Crash!
    But after uninstalling and deteling everythink from ACC and Unreal then reinstalling been flawless as like 0.72.
    Curbs are like ice on some track's.
    Tyre model is great i do like how you have set's for the weekend and limited amount to use wisley.
    over all feel is great.
    I personally think ACC should of been DLC for that Sol mod

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    First two hours done. No gamestopper,s no crashes. Did lonely Practuce laps, then Race Session Practice to mimic track days with aI traffic. There are several design decisions that I would question, but the driving, FFB, physics feel superior to me, very, very good. Sound is also top class. The AI has become more stingy at level 85, aggressiveness 85, also is not shy anymore to overtake slower cars, definitely improved.

Needs quite some bug-squashing probably, more finetuning. The amny complaints about the kerbs I do not understand, I find them very believable, and I did not spin due to them that much, althoigh i tend to abuse them a lot. That they loose grippiness when beign wet, is logical. In rain: avoid those kerbs...

I got some feedback to my advise with DDU, but at their forum the majority of people rrplying said it did not solve their issues. I'm sorry for those lads, but I say its worth to tr yit, it has solved my stuttering issues for sure where just a enw driver and clean install of the sim alone did not do any trick for me.

I did not try MP, that does not interest me, alhtough it ironcially is the main focus of ACC. The system will make the sim the to-go-sim for multiplayers not interested in iRacing's way of doing business, once it works reliable.

Frames in VR are locked to 45, but what should I say: it cannot get any smoother and fluid than what I see in my Rift.

Spa and Silverstone look very good, the other two tracks also do. All ten tracks there are now imo play at the top of the list in their visual presentation. Nothing left of the sterile track environments in AC1, they have learned from the criticism.

The cars are very different from each other they all have their typical characteristrics, it seems, and "spleens". I like that. The cockpit immersion beats everything else on the market currently.

The release went supoptimal, and they are not at the end of the development road. Still, this is becoming something great, I think. The measuring bar for any sim coming after ACC in the forseeable future has been risen to a quite challenging height. The scope is limited compared to AC1, obviously, but what it does inside this scope, it does much better.

Sector3 better looks very closely at their decision to go with the U4E, it seems that thing is a beast and not easy to tame, especially in VR. Kunos staff repeatedly has hinted and implied that the engine is giving them huge challenges. The VR in Raceroom now imo is very, very good, it would be a shame to compromise that.

Rocky road to 1.0, yes. But right this moment I think: this is becoming benchmark quality. Its not yet there, but on its way.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Brilliant game. Need some tweaks, but the VR immersion is sensational.

Just wanna put on my mirrors ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Drove race practice at Spa, starting at dawn, and then driving into the night, with 29 other AI crazies. 90 minutes long, just driving into the night.

Unbelievable. The light effects, the immersion, the illusion to be really there. And Spa at dawn, with its lights coming to live, is a piece of beauty. Tracksides at Eau Rouge and then looking back at the buildings and pitboxes - breathtaking.

Before, I raced Silverstone in rain. The gloomy feel of the place was unbelievable. The water effects on the windscreen are sugar. The change of the track and driving was too good to be true, the altering of the driving line is not just advertising slogans. The track constantly changes. Their model on that seems to work phantastic.

I have had not a single crash despite full carfield, 29 AI cars.

A simulation to get lost in. This is maybe going to redefine the genre. Surely its "next generation". I have mirrors at 240 meters, full detail - hard to not get destracted by what they show you with all that light show going on.

Some rough-around-the-edges design decision of theirs, but these issues all are secondary only. Their base course is so right and correct.

Just why are so many people complaining about the kerbs, I dont get it.To me the balance between spin-risk and safe-to-use-if-your-speed-is-right feels very reasonable and convincing. And yes, Kerbs should try to kill you if you flash over them like a berserk and in the wet.

Mind you - one track still coming with the next - free - DLC for the new season pack, Zandvoort that is, and I think a very few cars. There are not many tracks in this then, eleven alltogether, but most of these are tracks I really like to drive on, boring Monza and boring Paul Riccard being the only exceptions.

No MP done by me so far, its not my thing. But the rating numbers seem to work, and are changing for me. Its nice to see that the Safety Rating reacts when I have had a longer period of close racing with some cars and no accidents and contacts. I think Minolin got the balance for the whole system very right. It does nothing for me as single player/non-multiplayer, I know, but I appreciate the principle idea and execution.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I'm finding the Sim to be tough to drive. Every so often I begin to slide, and then when I try to catch it, things get ugly really fast. It's a mix between my poor skills and the wheel not telling me enough. One thing I can improve upon, but fixing the other is going to take money I don't have at the moment. First world problems, I know.

That aside, the title is just brutally realistic and I appreciate that. It really humbled me, and I now have more respect for those who can sim race at 10/10ths.

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a comboination of overdriving the car and suboptimal brake-balance. Have brake balance control on your wheel. Push less. And be aware that in changing weather, but also within "rain", the track surface conditions (wet, dirt, temp) and ideal line positioning are slowly but constantly changing.

If AC1 and now ACC again taught me one thing, then not to overdrive the car and pushing it beyond my skill. And before AC I underestimated to change brake balance on the drive. I now do that often during a stint to see how the car feels (they are differently vulnerable to wagging the tail), with degrading tires I do it even more.

And then the basics of avoiding spin: brake in a straight line and have the car settled again bwefore turning in. Avoid kerbs or carefully test which kerb can be used and which better not. Be less aggressive, brake earlier. You can loose speed early before a turn and accelerate again, or you loose it late in a turn but then accelerate late in a turn again. I find the first method working better for stability, but also for my lap time. I think many people - online - brake too late and push things too far, with the forseeable results. Seyffahrt in his videos sometimes had said that as well on user videos he watched: stay away fromt eh kerb, he said, be slower in turns, you try to drive too fast in turns.

I find spins not too difficulöt to catch in ACC as long as the spin happens below a certain treshhold speed. If speed is above that criterion, spin cannot be caught. But is that really a surprise?

There seem to be some buggy kerbs however, that can easily have your rotating on place if you spun out and came to a standstill right on top of them, the last chicane before the finishing line at the old boxes at spa for example, on the left, inner side - happened to me twice, it was difficult to get back on track. Well, bug does what bug is.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  15. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Puh, my PC only can handle 20 opponent, which is ok in one way. Tried yesterday 29 and got stuttering on my 1080GTX i7 8770

But everything else is phantastic. Sitting in my office and waiting for 12 o clock to test the 2018 spec Bentley in Spa.

16. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Can't agree with that. Sound is a step above in acc.

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    My System is quite similiar to yours, just that my gfx is factory-overclocked and that I have 32 GB RAM. I assume you have gfx settings all at supermax-highfidelty high? I mean I do all that in VR! If you are on screen (single?), you should be able to reach similiar results: all cars, that is.

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The Lexus I think it was. It should be thrown into prison for brutalising the ears, and accoustic vandalism. Or was it the Nissan?

19. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This just convinced me I need to give acc a try

20. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I'd borrow someone else's first or wait see if there's a demo being released. It's ok if you're happy with driving GT3 cars around the same old tracks we always have, looks ok but to get it running butter smooth it's possible to end up with just so so graphics. Best thing is its loading time, so if you fancy a bit of GT3 racing in the rain, it doesn't take long to fire up!