BMW M235i can't handle Norisring...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cobak, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Cobak

Cobak New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Do you have the same problems passing the first hairpin on Norisring with BMW M235i? I can't get through it without setting back on the half and then turn into the rest... No way of setting steering to more responsive layouts... using amateur on 100% steering. But this corner is not passable like with every other car I owned =(

2. nhill40

nhill40 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like understeer, is that right?

I have not tried this particular car/track combo, but I am familiar with the car and the track independently - my tips would be as follows (in order of difficulty):

1) brake earlier so you are sure you are going slow enough for the fronts to "bite". There is a reason most road cars are setup to understeer - because it's very instinctive to correct (i.e. slow down and understeer will stop)

2) carry braking further into the turn (i.e. use "trail braking" technique). Many people think trail braking's main purpose is to allow you to apply the brakes later...while that is certainly true, an important other benefit that is often omitted is that trail braking keeps the cars weight shifted over the front tires during the turn in phase, thereby improving grip. This technique takes a ton of practice though, so have patience with yourself.

3) move up to "get real" and start messing with setup options. If you are indeed getting understeer on turn in, I would recommend shifting brake balance towards the rear a few clicks - it's possible your fronts are simply sliding too much as you approach the corner and wanting to plow off the road. If the understeer is also evident mid-corner (i.e. once you are for the most part done with braking, you've got the wheel turned as much as you're going to turn it, but you have NOT begun accelerating), the easiest/most obvious setup change to make would be to soften the front anti roll bar a few clicks until you start to feel more mid corner "bite" at the fronts.

3. nhill40

nhill40 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Got a few mins of free time tonight to try the car/track combo out - really no problems making T1 in the M235i. Post more details and maybe someone can help you out.

4. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0