Question Braking performance & susp. settings

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Azfalt Raser, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Does changing suspension settings affect braking performance in R3E? And how significantly?

I watched the dev stream with Bruno Spengler and for the life of me, If I try and brake at the locations he's braking at, I go straight off the track. I'm probably a good 20m longer in my braking distances.

2. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    imo yes makes a difference

3. Kondor999

Kondor999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Makes a big difference. Just finished a race using the BMW DTM 2016 with stock suspension settings. In the braking zone for turn 1 at Nurburgring GP, it's pretty bumpy and I started getting a nasty front-back oscillation as the fronts and rears took turns locking up. I softened the dampers up and it stopped doing that. I was able to brake later and harder as a result.

BTW, I've actually had this exact same thing happen in a car I used to own. It was a supercharged 2002 Honda S2000 with coilovers. If I dialed up the stiffness too much on the dampers (especially the rear), it would get skittish under braking in *exactly* the same way. So, when it happened in-game, it was shockingly familiar.

I was yelling at my wife: "Hey, I remember this! This is what Christine always did!" She named the car Christine because I was so obsessed with it when we 1st met ;) Can't tell you how many times I spun that car at the track. Eventually I added a big front ARB and made the rear dampers as soft as possible. Anyway, the cool thing about this story (I think) is the sensation I got through my wheel in-game was truly identical. If you've ever waited too late to brake when slowing down for a hairpin in real life, you know it's not a sensation you really ever forget.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Been there, done that....only on 2 wheels. Strangely enough, although my Ninja bike was a total loss (I had a spare), I was more angry about having destroyed my superbike signature series helmet....then again....that racer ended up paralyzed.....

- cue radio voice - "It was at that moment, he decided to take up Motorsports with 4 wheels....."o_O

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kondor999

Kondor999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Ha! My story is very similar. I used to have a GSX-R 750, one night around 2am in 1998 I hit a plastic bag on a long high-speed left-hander in Columbia, SC and nearly laid it down going over 100. I actually, for real (not figuratively) p*ssed on myself and decided I needed a new hobby.

I used to call my S2000 "Motorcycle Methadone". Because it satisfied the urge, but kept me out of trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    lol I soooooo know the feeling. RIP 5 - Suzuki or Ninjas ...............Hello Honda Goldwing and SCCA.:D

Even in cars, halfway through my last event, I was full speed, saw a yellow flag zone, and before I could react, my water pump blew. While doing endless 360s, I almost took out a couple corner workers (I just saw corner workers running in every direction). :eek: Not realizing why I had spun (I thought I hit a patch of oil), I continued my lap, saw my engine overheating, got out, and had a Nigel Mansell moment when I almost passed out from the heat trying to push my car (Mondeo touring car wannabe) across the finish line...... 5th to last. Honestly, I think I was more scared at that moment (almost hitting the corner workers), than I was when I impacted a guardrail at 110 mph - even with the injuries I suffered.

Hi Raceroom. :cool:

The final straw for motorcycles came when I was driving down the freeway at 70mph. My faceshield was slightly open for fresh air in the 100 degree heat. I saw a large black dot follow the roof line of the car in front of me. Suddenly, it flew into my helmet and hit me below the left eye! I lowered my head to avoid it and my faceshield snapped shut. The impact snapped my head backward. It felt like being hit with a rock. My eyes were watering, it hurt so darn bad.

Then.....BZZZZZZZZZZZZ. OMG!???? FML!!!! It was one of those giant bumble bees. It hit my face at 70 mph and didn't die. I think I ended up crossing 8 lanes of freeway traffic (back and forth) steering with my body weight, trying to rip off my helmet. I just can't convey how big it was. It actually found it's way out of the helmet and flew away, before I could my helmet off. I sat on the shoulder of the freeway for 10 minutes trying to recover.

Like this comparison.....

Not this:
    [​IMG]

BUT THIS:
    [​IMG]

I mean this kind of size: [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  7. Kondor999

Kondor999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    LOL dude that is awesome. Yes, I guess every motorcyclist is just one story away from strongly considering doing something else. Sad to say, but *nothing* has been quite as awesome as a warm summer night on back roads near Atlanta GA, carving up some empty 2-lane at 1am. It's something you can never share with anyone, but man is it pure and wonderful. You can accelerate harder than any car you could ever realistically afford, and it's all so...raw.

Sh*t! I feel a midlife crisis comin' on!

• Like Like x 1