Bug - Stop telemetry output when pausing or viewing replay

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by VFX Pro, Dec 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    For example, when pausing the game or going into a menu while racing, the butttkickers keeps vibrating super hard.

2. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    This is on the app developer, the game indicates when the game is paused, and the software should then stop driving the buttkicker.

If telemetry would stop, then it would affect all other applications, like i.e. dashes, and g-meteres would stop working when the game is paused.

3. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    @Winzarten I have to disagree. This is from SimRacingStudio....

Sorry for the issue you're having with Race Room. Unfortunately, Race Room continues to send telemetry while in the menus and there isn't a way for SRS to detect if you are in the menus or not. RaceRoom Racing Experience telemetry is buggy and results in it always being active. This will cause the platform to pulse/shake while in the menus. It can also result in a sharp spike in heave as a vehicle is loaded or "dropped' on to the race track or when resetting from a location on the race track. Reducing heave will reduce the shaking but also impact the normal driving experience. When resetting, its recommended to try to have the vehicle on level ground.

@Alex Hodgkinson ?

4. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    https://github.com/sector3studios/r3e-api/blob/master/sample-csharp/src/R3E.cs#L684

These are the fields in the R3E shared memory that indicate if the game is paused, or in menu. These are working, I'm using them myself in my app to detect if the game is paused.

Not sending telemetry while the game is paused is stupid, and causes problem for other applications.

This also bollocks. In my experience r3e shared memory has been one of the most reliable, well documented, and easiest to work with from all the major sims... especially after the big overhauld few years ago.
    There is even a discord channel for app developers, where devs are presents, and devs can ask question. And get answer either from the helpful comunity, or the devs themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  5. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Great info @Winzarten, I will pass it back to SRS.

6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    As said previously. This isn't true at all. My shakers run through simhub stop shaking in menus and on pause. What you have there is bad software.

7. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for confirming it doesn't happen with other software!

8. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well... There is another issue with telemetry. The motion is running while watching replays, so trying to click on buttons with mouse while the rig is moving everywhere... other sim racing titles don't do that.

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Again. That's on your software. Line 686 of the shared memory output says gameinreplay true/false. So it's up to your motion software to read that and deal with it. Surely you have an override button anyway?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  10. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @ravey1981, I will see if I can find the person who created the SimTools plugin and report the problem.