Problem Cyclic FPS

Dieses Thema im Forum "Community Support" wurde erstellt von Azfalt Raser, 15. Juli 2016.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    As the title says, I am running into some sort of issue with "cyclic fps".
    Any suggestions?

Using an AMD HD6970 graphics card....
    On Low settings, I am getting 140-160 fps at 5760x1080 resolution.
    On high settings, I was getting 30-46 fps at 5760x1080 resolution.
    I noticed a slight stutter before, but my fps was such that, it didn't significantly impact my video at lower resolutions.

So I started to play on high settings.
    Then this problem started..... I expect differences in fps while driving around a track, but not when sitting still.

Sonoma Raceway Long version/DTM 2015
    In this screenshot, My fps is cycling through 36fps to 18fps, every 3 or 4 seconds (center monitor of 5760x1080 setup).

I am not moving. This is not the only location this happens.
    --------------------------
    On possibly a related issue: My mouse left click speed has started cycling every 3 or 4 seconds.
    It's normal, then it goes to super click speed. I may click a total of 10 times, but 12 or 13 is registered.
    So I have to be extra careful going through the UI or I might end up in the wrong menu or wrong track or change something by accident.

Same when going through my windows files. Yes, it happens in Windows7 too.

[​IMG]

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    Interesting finding. Usually I'm using vsync, so I couldn't have noticed this till now.

Which gpu driver are you using, do you maybe allow it to update automatically? Cause, as far as I'm aware, AMD stopped supporting the 6000 series in their latest builds and recommends using the beta version 16.2.1, this one: https://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/n...on-crimson-16.2.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb27.exe

I noticed the CCC asking to update it several times after upgrading to Win10. It did also do this under Win7 but I disabled the auto update function.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I actually did an auto detect from AMDs website and it gave me the last driver available for the 6000 series.
    I disable all autoupdate programs by deleting the autoupdate.exe files after I install the programs.
    Nothing worse than being halfway through a race when a window pops up telling you it's time to check for updates.....or your computer/internet starts lagging from an autoupdate behind the scenes.
    Actually, there is something worse....virus scan running in the background. :mad:

After spending all day (and all night) testing various resolutions and in-game settings, I think I may have found several causes.....

1) USB hub failure
    My keyboard, mouse, headphones keep shutting off randomly now. Explains the strange behavior of my mouse.
    It all started after I started using my new Track IR. I tested everything this morning on Twitch and everything worked flawlessly. After unplugging the Track IR, my headphones, mouse and keyboard are randomly not recognized. Could be a coincidence.

2) CCC settings were too high?
    I had created a raceroom profile for max quality and forgot to change it back to default. In conjunction with the High settings in-game, I think that was just too much for my gpu at 5760x1080 resolution. I'm surprised I even got as high as 46fps at certain parts of that track. Try driving the esses at 17 fps. I think that's where that screenshot was taken.

I was astounded that I could get 160fps in raceroom from an old 6000 series graphics card
    @ 5760x1080 resolution!!! Track dependent of course.

The best setting I found was:
    Leave CCC at default setting
    in-game:
    Turn up Anti Aliasing to 8x
    Track surface detail HIGH
    Turn everything else off or set as low as possible.
    welll...I set my mirrors to medium.
    It's the clearest, sharpest, blur free video I have ever seen in Raceroom.
    The shadows were hiding my impact.....errr...I mean braking points anyway:p
    I'm putting out so high fps, I don't notice a drop of 20 fps.

If only Crossfire support *sigh*.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    If you are running high graphics settings and are getting this sort of frame rate variation... I wonder if you are being severely gpu bottle necked. I imagine you are at this point.

High settings for 3 monitors requires a fairly decent amount of power, and probably more than your gpu has. I imagine those settings are completely maxing out the gpu and taxing it more than it can smoothly display frames on screen for you.

Some fps variation while standing still is completely normal. I recall getting a 5-10 fps variation standing still and never think much of it. Although I play with an uncapped frame rate around 100 fps.

Try lowering your settings to medium or so and see if you can maintain 60 fps. In a sim, higher frame rate is always better as opposed to better looking graphics... Since the frame rate directly impacts your driving performance via input lag, etc. (Where low fps has a lot more input lag and a lot higher frame time than high fps, affecting your steering inputs)

Edit:

Umm... this is probably one of the main culprits. 8x AA is EXTREMELY taxing and should only be reserved for very high end gpus. Especially on a triple monitor setup. I imagine you are reaching your Vram limits with this setting... and that would absolutely explain why you are getting a big fps variation.

For reference, I use 2x AA in game with an Nvidia GTX 660. Any more and my frame rate tanks.

Further edit:

It seems like you found a workaround with different settings you are happy with :p That'll teach me to reply before reading all of the related comments :rolleyes: Oh well, maybe this can still be of some help.

Cheers

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    If you look at my screenshot, there is a couple of animated people - clapping. I think they're the culprit for the cyclic fps.:D I do have a bottleneck...for sure. I'm at 100% gpu usage once I load into the pits....on Low settings.
    And Nate...I always appreciate your insight and suggestions. :cool:

As a side note: Keep this in your memory banks.
    I'm certain it's my Track IR that has created my USB "Power surge" warnings. Plug it in, everything works (keyboard, mouse, wheel, 2 sets of 7.1 surround headphones & Track IR).

Unplug the Track IR, headphones immediately lose connection & not recognized. Keyboard and mouse randomly lose connection. Luckily my wheel has not been affected.

Plug in Track IR, everything works again. Go figure!:confused: