Problem Drift-Car Audi R8

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Cobak, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Cobak

Cobak New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how the developers think you can challenge the GT-Series with a drift-car, but they may know, as if you ride the "Audi R8 LMS Ultra" you will have to learn it. This car has definately nothing in common with the GT-Series... anyone agrees? I'm driftin and driftin and driftin... every halfways good lap, without cutting the lawn, is more luck than practice. I would like the devs, to test it again, and reconfigure... Thanks!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have to disagree here. I am racing this car in all it's derivates for a long time now, and after some relearning because of the physics update, I can race the R8 without 'drifting' around the courses now. To achieve that, I had to remove some input lag problems. I removed a usb hub that caused massive input lag and disabled vsync while limiting the fps using nvinspector to about 61 fps (on a 60hz screen). Further, the car needs a proper driving. For avoiding the slipping you have to know the track and braking spots and you have to drive a proper line. You should avoid turning too hard into corners with too much speed, to force the car into corners on a bad racing line, as this makes the R8 slide over the front tires and understeer a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I had the slipping behaviour myself after the last GTR3 physics update. But in the end I had to relearn the car's handling, optimize my controls so I can race smoother line. Last but not least, I am racing using an Xbox 360 gamepad and, if I can handle the car using a gamepad, it should also be possible with a proper configured wheel.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Cobak

Cobak New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If I would at least have a wheel... I'm using a joystick and amateur-difficulty, having no problems with any other cars... especially BMWs can be ridden as hell, providing real good laptimes... but the Audi R8 is a piece of crap, if you have to challenge any other car of the series.

4. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I suggest using at least a halfway proper gamepad with analogue mini sticks and triggers. The 360 gamepad is cheap and does a great job in R3E.

For your joystick... If you have problems like this one, you can also solve them by tweaking the controller profile. As long as your device is an analogue one, you should be able to make it enjoyable. What is your value for steering deadzone, steering sensitivity and return multiplier? And, what steering lock did your use? If not using a wheel I suggest a steering lock of 8 in any car. If you can't get around hard turns because the car can't turn hard enough increase the three analogue ranges until the car can do it and keep these values as low as possible to get maximum accuracy.

5. Cobak

Cobak New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sure it's analogue... we're not in the 90's... I will try to give it a setup as you told... but if you look at the leaderboard, you'll see fast that this car seems to be in the wrong league as it has been setup by the devs.

6. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I will check the leaderboerds again... I always found that with the Audi it is not as easy to get good lap times as in other cars because of it's heavy understeering. You absolutely have to race a good line, then it should be competitive. I am racing in get real and with other GTR3 cars my times where almost the same as with the R8.

Edit: After a quick look into the leaderboards, the Audi seems to be competitive.

http://game.raceroom.com/leaderboard/?track=1691&car_class=class-1703&driving_model=1

http://game.raceroom.com/leaderboard/?track=3870&driving_model=1&car_class=class-1703

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    What do you expect from mid-engine car? Of course, it will be more floaty than you expect. Keep practicing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    A proper configured controller works great in R3E...

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what the Audi feels like on Amateur but on Get Real (with T500) it seems fine to me. In fact initially the Audi always feels nice and planted to me. Its after a few laps, when I have to be careful as the a$$-end will want to come around at times. Maybe its the tires overheating or maybe it's me getting too confident and pushing too hard but it never feels drifty to me. I always use default setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I experienced that I have to steer carefully and not too harsh because of the understeering. Also, the Audi understeers when accellerating too early in corners and this way the tyre wear is higher. If you can avoid slipping over the front tyres by accellerating at the wrong spots, it should be fine even after some laps. I had a very dirty driving style at first with sliding and drifting... that felt like pushing but in the end I was faster when racing a clean line without slipping tyres.

11. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    :D

12. Cobak

Cobak New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    With my Stick it's the most trickiest car so far... others don't let me suffer this way. But I really forgot about the Mid-Engine. I think a Wheel will help me out of the problems I'm having...

13. merlin59

merlin59 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have a G27 and this is always my car of choice. It can be tricky to drive but it's not what I would call drifty.

14. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Used to be my favourite car but am finding it hard in r3e find corvette easy and faster ?

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Well, if you arent already aware, the Audi R8 GT3 car was actually developed with the help of Kelvin van der Linde. Who is an ADAC Audi driver.

Not only did he offer his feedback on how the car handles compared to the real one, he also provided some data to use to help better reproduce the car for R3E.

So, real world racing data, and the feedback from the driver of the real car... I think that is pretty sufficient to say the car is fairly accurate and shouldnt have any major handling flaws.

What you are feeling may come down to using a controller... and the controller sticks being too sensitive. I would spend some time in the settings menu tweaking some of the controller settings to see if you can get a more comfortable setup.

I dont use a controller all that much, so I cant really offer any specific advice on what would feel good. But with some patience and practice, you should become more comfortable with the car. :)

16. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I can't really tell about joysticks as I don't have one, but with an average modern gamepad the car is fun... And yes, you have to get used to it as it's handling is less forgiving than some other car's handling. Improper handled, it feels like a drift car. I learned that myself with the new physics.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes, indeed. In GTR3/ADAC I use the Audi most of the time but changing to any other car on a track I know well I am nearly as fast as in the R8 after the first few laps and can be faster after some more laps of practice. So, if you just jump into GTR3 for the first time without lots of practice, I think you will be faster in almost every other car at first.