DTM 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wozdecky, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    … because we only have 2 out of 7 possible car racing layouts:
    http://www.lausitzring.de/besucherportal/strecke-areal/streckenvarianten.html

Furthermore, Raceroom is the only sim where you can drive / buy the Eurospeedway. So if we get a remastered version, Raceroom would has a new unique selling point on the sim racing market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't DTM and ADAC GTM use the same layout? I could not find any other important race series driving there. USP, in theory yes, but I doubt you'd drag many customers into the game with it. And wether existing owners of the tracks would buy it again - I have my doubts. Except for hardcore fans of course.

Personally I would rather see some new tracks, for instance for the DTM 92 class - why not bring one of the old airfield courses like Wunstorf or Diepholz to life? Or more modern (DTM) tracks like Adria Raceway, Brno, Dijon or Mugello? I am sure that any of these 6 tracks would sell better than a warmed up Lausitzring. But - that is just my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. ViperNo23

ViperNo23 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I'll have a cup of tea then and just wait, hope and see
    upload_2017-7-24_9-51-26.jpeg

4. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I don't known, if it was realised.
    Manufacturers and ITC agreed on the new DTM 2 l-turbo engines for 2019.
    These engines probably will be standard from a third party to keep costs at a low level and will achieve + 600 hp.
    So reglement of Super GT should be appliable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    If that's true, I think FIA should call DTM, Super GT and Supercars Australia and sit them on a table and confirm a universal set of rules. And then, WTCC should become a super cup where we see all manufacturers collide in a selection of tracks (Nords, Suzuka, Bathurst, Glen, Silverstone, Spa and more historical venues.

6. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    There was an deal flying around about something called Class One, where imsa, dtm and supergt would have a major class within supergt rules and dtm chassis. That would bring a lot of new bodies and fans to the sport. I think it wasn't finalized but hope it's the last one to die..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  7. Stefan Wegman

Stefan Wegman New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Source?

8. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Here

• Like Like x 1
  9. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Death knell for DTM if Audi and BMW cannot field more than six cars each.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    That's really sad news, hopefully they can find other manufactures for DTM.

12. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Seems there is a coincidence between new engines and Merc leaving DTM. It looks like Merc also applied the emergency brake back in 2015, which stopped development of turbo engines.
    I'm very sad about that. DTM with two manufacturers and 12 cars is a laughingstock. You can call the undertaker for DTM in 2019, if there won't join other manufacturers and ITR will keep DTM as a manufacturer racing series.
    A chance remains in the possibility @alesi27 and @TheReaper GT mentioned above, getting international. We will see.

Formula E? Sorry, I cannot make friends with these weeeese and drive them in a sim.:confused:

Sector3, where do you order your crystal balls?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  13. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I will probably go on a rant, so better to not comment....

14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I feel the same.:D Hopefully the merge with Super GT will be successful, otherwise the series is doomed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Call me crazy, but as a more realistic plan, shouldn't they just join GT masters and race multiclass a la super GT. That would bring more cars to the track while optimizing event costs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MotorMantovani

MotorMantovani Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I don't believe in DTM going international atm. Both ITR and GTA showed more interest in strenghtening DTM and Super GT regionally (sources in my post on page 4). Berger don't want to merge, rather wait for the FIA to step up and Bandoh is waiting for DTM to hold their part of the Class 1 deal.

Mercedes leaving DTM changes the perspectives but I guess ITR would not commit internationally unless they could bring Lexus, Honda and Nissan for 2019 (which I doubt, they must have their hands full running the Super GT calendar).

As @TheReaper GT said above, they could merge the ADAC GT and DTM fields into a multiclass race, which would give them a roughly 40-car grid. I don't see it happening in the short term but it would be a cost-effective measure, the problem being that GT Masters is run by ADAC and DTM by ITR.

17. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    It's a growing trend for car companies to scale back on motorsport spending and focus on fewer series, particularly those that make more commercial sense to their brand. Mercedes has become the force in hybrid F1 engines so I guess it was only a matter of time before Formula E became the focus. Large V8 power units are becoming less relevant sadly.

It's a real shame, though. As much as I criticise DTM for losing touch with its touring car roots, it's still a great silhouette series. With BMW returning a few years ago and the grid looking healthier with 24 cars, the DTM looked to be in a good place. Sadly I cannot see another manufacturer coming in to replace Mercedes. Much like the WTCC, DTM was heading down the path of increasingly more technical cars with higher costs.

Not sure the DTM can survive in its current form without either a proper link-up with Super GT or a return back to basics (a modern equivalent of the DTM 92 pack). I'd love the latter but can't see it happening.

If DTM does die completely then at least TCR Germany is in a very good place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    My English is not good enough to express my feelings properly, but I'll try:

The growing of GT3 and TCR always reminds me how professional autosport - in the classic sense, with works teams/manufacturers and factory drivers - is becoming less and less popular, which makes me sad. Because if you look at these categories from a distance, they seem pretty good, the fields are big, diverse and they provide close competition, which is good for the drivers and good for the fans. But on the other hand, these whole situation is forced by the concept and the regulations (BoP and other restrictions). These categories are the answer for the lack of interest from the manufacturers and big sponsors. So racing is no longer the competition of the finest engineers and the best drivers of the world, but more like an entertainment form mostly for semi-professional and amateur drivers. And in the end an important part of racing - at least to me - is missing from them. Of course, from a sim racing point of view these things don't matter at all. But as a long time racing fan, I'm really sad how the GT1 beasts disappeared, and I'll be disappointed too if TCR will be the only popular form of touring car racing in the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Very eloquently put.
    Unfortunately the world is governed by money and so is motorsport. This is why the GT1 monsters died and why the same will happen to the likes of DTM. Just too expensive and it's why the likes of the more budget friendly TCR championships will prosper.

Even GT3 will go the way of the dinosaur sooner or later, the price of those cars grows every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Difficult to argue against your purist's view of motorsport. It all comes down to money in the end. Manufacturers are going through tough times and aren't as willing to fund big factory projects across multiple series. Motorsport is a big money sink with little financial or commercial return, if any.

GT3 has proven very successful because it keeps the costs down and the competitiveness high. That's what private teams are looking for. TCR is copying the GT3 model but I doubt TCR will be the only popular form of touring cars going forward. BTCC is doing brilliantly right now and the Australian V8 Supercars are as good as ever.

Your English is excellent, by the way. :sunglasses:

• Agree Agree x 1