EDTracker - Anyone using this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Not Lifting Off, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Been using one for a bit over a year, if you're on a single screen it's a very cheap way to massively increase you awareness on track and because it's essentially a joystick input to opentrack it doesn't have the same delay in movement you'd find using FacetracknoIR or similar solutions.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yeah, thats the thing I miss a bit with the EdTracker as that would give a better 3D-Effect. That gave you an effect like watching thru a window, as close objects move faster with your movement than distant objects.

3. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Am thinking of getting one of the pre-made ED Pro units, where did you get the Velco strips from to attach it to your headset and what size strips did you need? I've used some smaller strips like those for temporary fastening of some cables to my bike, but haven't seen any larger ones locally. With the headphones I'm currently using (Teufel Aureols) using a velco strip like that would compress the foam in the headband a little, but I think it should still work.

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i'm just using rubber bands to fix it to the headphones. it doesn't move a bit. Didn't think it would work so well with the rubber bands at first.

5. Rally-RacingIvysaur

Rally-RacingIvysaur Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I am going to order it next week.

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Laptop power supply cable tidy!

7. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I must be doing something wrong here. I put the whole thing together, pretty straight forward. But I can't seem to get the gui to see it. I can see it in the control panel. Makes
    The standard windows conneted sound when I plug it in. There's a red light inside the box. So it should be working.
    Any suggestion?

8. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Try flashing it with the latest update? Rescan the ports in the edtracker software/wait to plug it in until after you start the software?

9. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Arduino drivers installed? Have you allowed the gui to download the sketch (firmware) disable firewall to allow connection to server. In the gui select scan ports then the 2nd from top drop down should be showing your tracker, the red light indicates power, the green and orange if you can see them are tx/rx.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thanks NLO you are a wealth of help and info
    I'm getting a
    "Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Board at COM1 is not available"
    error message
    I must have ruined it while soldering it, I only have a red light.
    When I plug it in, I get a yellow light for 1/2 second then nothing but the power led.:(

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  11. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Dont assume its ruined maybe a short or solder splash or something not quite connecting, check all your solder points for clean contact or runs\shorts.
    Im gonna say driver issue, mine is id`d as an Arduino Leonardo in device manager, does it show up under ports\com ports?
    This is mine in device manager and in ET Gui
    [​IMG]
    Hope it helps.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  12. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Ok no luck yet. I had checked all my connections as I went along. I double checked the visible welds again. It is not the best looking, but is solid none the less. I did have 1 or 2 pins that for some reason took an extremely long time to take the weld. That's why I'm kinda wondring....
    Also, I'm using a gaming laptop. Which uses a universal com port. could be causing a problem. But then again it does say Board at com1 is not available.

13. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Another thought if there is a port conflict, change the device com port, dev manager\ports\arduino properties then on port settings, in the advanced tab you can change the com port, i had problems with opentrack not working if mine was on certain com ports.
    Try a different USB cable.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    So the arduino-driver is installed and the Device is listed in the Device-Manager? At least any USB-Device within the "Ports"-Branch?
    Different USB-Cable can be a good tip. Some USB-Cables are just for Charging a device.

15. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everybody for all the help. I had to sit down with a jewelers loop (fancy magnifying glass) and ended up re-soldering 8 of my welds:oops::rolleyes: And it's working!!! :smiley: Super excited. I have to say in my defense, I haven't done anything this tiny in about 20yrs:eek: and am a little out of practice:rolleyes:. Anyway, I'm at work doing this in between customers so back to work. Then download and install open tracker. :p Then calibrate it at home.:sunglasses:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got it sorted.

17. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    If anyone else is thinking of getting one of these or having problems, I found these vids very helpful.

initial construction

debugging

calibrating

18. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    There is a potential conflict with the g27 wheel. Make sure you don't use joystick com1 like they show in the video. I did and lost the clutch and H shifter. I had to uninstall and then re-install all the Logitech drivers to get them back.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  19. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Ha, go me, strike one off the bucket list!
    Finally.

• Like Like x 2
  20. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Where do I put this file?
    Thanx for sharing?