eSports WTCC - Round 10: Macau - Review

Discussion in 'Esports WTCC' started by Robert Wiesenmüller, Nov 13, 2017.

?

Who was your hero of the Macau event?

1. Gergo Baldi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Norbert Leitner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Alexander Dornieden

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Barnabas Toth

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Andre Fossto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Alexandre Vromant

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Bence Banki

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    For the final race of the eSports WTCC season, the drivers went to Macau. The Asian street circuits provided the ultimate challenge. And Division 2 started with a bang: Felix Maillet ended up on his roof coming our of the second corner, and several cars were caught up in incidents. At the front of the field, newcomer Adam Paal cruised to a dominant victory after making no mistakes, winning by over 10 seconds ahead of fellow rookie Laszlo Nagy and polesitter Sascha Gemeinhardt. Corentin Pointeau and Stanislav Repakov rounded out the top 5 in their LADAs, making this race the best one of the season for the Russian manufacturer.

[​IMG]

In Division 1, Alex Dornieden, Márk Nándori, Jan Stange and Gergo Baldi all still had a chance of winning the championship. Baldi, 28 points back in the standings, needed a strong qualifying, and he delivered with his third pole position, ahead of Bence Bánki and Kevin Siggy Rebernak. The other title contenders were close together, with Dornieden fifth, Stange seventh and Nándori eighth. Disaster struck for Stange though, as a technical problem forced him to retire even before the start of the race, bringing it down to three contenders.

[​IMG]

The start was clean for the leaders, and Baldi managed to convert his pole position into the lead ahead of Bánki, Leitner and Dornieden. Nándori moved up to fifth, but he was struggling to keep the pace and got under pressure by Rebernak. Behind them, French drivers Alexandre Vromant and Cyril Cherry had a strong showing, while Wisniewski, Schulze and Fossto were fighting over the final points. Just before the halfway mark, Rebernak passed Nándori for fifth, and six minutes before the end, Nándori's championship campaign ended in the wall in the Lisboa corner. At the front, Baldi, who needed the win to stay alive in the championship, was getting under immense pressure by Bánki. Bánki tried it on the final lap into Lisboa, but hit the outside wall with his Citroen and dropped all the way back to 20th as a result. Baldi brought the win home ahead of Leitner, doing everything he could, but Dornieden's 3rd place meant that it would be a tough task for Baldi in the second race. The rest of the top 10 was completed by Rebernak, strong rookie Cherry, Wisniewski, Vromant, Jaroslav Honzik, Andre Fossto and Barnabas Toth.

[​IMG]

After the top 10 were reversed for the start of the second race, Toth kept his lead, ahead of Fossto and Honzik. Both Dornieden and Baldi survived the first lap, being 5th and 7th respectively. A bit further back, Bánki drove a crazy opening lap, gaining 10 places. Dornieden was looking set for the championship, when he ran into big trouble. He hit Vromant coming out of Melco, who spun and blocked the road for a bit. When they recovered, Dornieden tried to pass Vromant around the outside in the final corner. Vromant sent Dornieden wide, and the whole field bunched up. In the chaos, Baldi hit the outside wall coming out of the first corner, and bounced back into Dornieden, who crashed into the wall at a high speed and had to retire. Baldi was the only championship contender still standing, but he needed a win. Down in seventh place, he was struggling with a damaged car and kept losing places, eventually dropping to 9th.

[​IMG]

At the front of the field, Toth had a clear lead over Fossto and Honzik, but the man of the hour was Bence Bánki, who gained position after position. Shortly before the end, Vromant overtook Honzik for third, with Bánki following swiftly. Toth won the race ahead of Fossto and Vromant, the first podium of the season for all three of them. Bánki crowned his great drive with 4th, ahead of Honzik, Rebernak, Leitner, Wisniewski, Baldi and Blueber Racin from Hong Kong, taking the final points of the season.

[​IMG]

The standings are still provisional at this point, but Impact Racing's Alexander Dornieden is 18 points clear of Baldi, therefore the confirmation of his championship title should only be a formality. Gergo Baldi (Wauters Automotive) showed a superb second half of the season and finishes in 2nd, ahead of Jan Stange (Impact Racing Team), with Márk Nándori and Norbert Leitner (both Oscaro eSports by SDL) rounding out the top five. If you have missed the racing action from yesterday, you can see it again here:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Norbert Leitner

Norbert Leitner Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    5th place in the championship for me is good.
    Before it started I wanted to be in top 5, and I am happy to achieve it.

I want to thank you for everybody who organised this series, you did an excellent job.
    Streams from the races was also great with Rob and James commentary, and Lewis with the highlights videos.

It was a great experience for me with these WTCC cars and Raceroom, it was very hard to find the balance in driving the Honda Civic and find a good setup for it.
    The field was very competitive through the season and I had great battles in some races.

Hopefully more eSport championships to come :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  3. Dirk Knatz

Dirk Knatz Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    First of all congratulations to Alexander Dornieden for being the ESPORTS WTCC Champion.

I`d like to thank EVERYONE who´s involved to make this Esports wtcc series like it is.
    Sector3 Studios, Raceroom, FIA WTCC.........
    A big hand to the livestreams and highlight videos. Thanks Rob, James and Lewis!!!

Hoping the Esports wtcc go´s on next year.
    It was hard work, but great fun to race against that damned fast guys.
    See you soon.

KEEP RACIN

• Like Like x 3
  4. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    My words after this season.

I started simracing on Race - The WTCC game, I watched several WTCC races live and almost all of them online or on TV, at least in the first years. And now all of a sudden, I was given the oppurtunity to organize a simracing competition for the real league.

[​IMG]
    2007 hotlapping hard in the Oschersleben paddock

So what I wanted to do is to organize a championship in the best way I can.
    Some things were pretty new for me, in others I was experienced, or I took some inspirations from Virtual Racing or TouringProSeries. But I still remembered the TCOne league and how that went from great to bad real quick, and so my aim was to always deliver everything in time. Results, Standings, Penalties. Every race with stream, preview article, race report, graphics, pictures, track presentation, highlight video. No excuses.
    There was some downsides for me: The sometimes crazy and overagressive driving, the penalty debates and of course the lack of information on the live event, where I can ensure you Raceroom is working on but some things are out of my control. But there was also a lot of upsides, I think we produced some great racing and showed our passion to a lot of WTCC fans. Ok, we are not the International on Dota 2, but when I look on the WTCC Youtube channel, more people watch our races than the real thing :D
    And I am also proud on the quality of streams and content that I could deliver this season and that I could keep my promise to do everything in time. But of course this would not have been possible without the help of other people. I want to thank the whole Sector 3 and RaceRoom team, especially @Georg Ortner cause without him I would have never had that oppurtunity. Also big thx to my friends James Kirk, Mike Bell and Lewis McGlade, to the extra stewards, and to the people from WTCC. And of course all drivers and spectators.

• Like Like x 12
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
  5. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your hard work in the last months!
    You put our „hobby“ on a new level.
    And the live-streams with you Robert and of course also James were the highlights of the last weeks!
    Thumbs up!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Dencs Attila

Dencs Attila New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Big thanks to everyone who worked for the first official WTCC eSport Championship. It was an enjoyable touring car racing on a high level.
    I really hope that there will be another similar eSport in the future. :)
    Finally, is there any information about the Final event?
    It would be nice to hear anything about it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1