Problem FPS and CPU load affects FFB

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by hugotwowheels, Jun 30, 2022.

1. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I'm using:
    - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads)
    - AMD RX 570
    - BenQ EW3270U (4k, 60Hz, Freesync)
    - Fanatec GT DD Pro 8 Nm (same as CSL DD, latest beta firmware, INT 1, NDP Off, rest standard)

I'm using RTSS to cap the framerate to 58, with Vsync enabled. This gets me a perfectly smooth picture with no input lag.
    The problem is that sometimes my FFB goes clunky, notchy, and generally feels like it has very low resolution. I've tried troubleshooting but can't find the exact reason.

Capping framerate very low, like 42, ruins FFB. Running 40 AI opponents also ruins FFB, despite high framerate. If FFB goes bad during multiplayer, restarting the game and the wheel helps.

Is this a game thing that I need to figure out? How do I get the FFB to run as good as it can? When everything is working, the FFB is the best I've ever experienced by far.
    Or is it a Fanatec thing? Do I just wait for new firmware? Or downgrade?
    Or is it a CPU affinity thing? I tried it quickly yesterday, separating the CPU pinning for RRRE executable and the browser executable - seemed better with 40 AI cars!

Anyone got any ideas? This should be affecting you too, but if you're running a smoother wheel (less detail), more smoothening in the settings, or just aren't as sensitive as I am to FFB, you might not notice it though.

This doesn't happen in ACC, where FFB seems to be decoupled from FPS. I enjoy the FFB in RRRE a hundred times more though, especially when it's working well.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Stop using RTSS. It does not play nicely with raceroom.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I've suspected that... But I have to use some kind of FPS limiter. Without it, I either suffer from input lag and stuttering (v-sync) or stuttering and bad tearing (no v-sync). Without FPS capped at 59 or below, VRR (Freesync) isn't activated, and frame times are fluctuating.
    Are there better alternatives to RTSS? I've tried the AMD Chill feature with same results.
    Spending 3k euro or something to ignore VRR, to maybe achieve similar smoothness at 144Hz+, isn't really an option.

Anyway, I kept troubleshooting, and stumbled upon CPU Lasso in the OtterHUD thread. Pinning RRRE64.exe to the last real CPU cores (no hyperthreading) and dash.exe as well as rrrebrowser.exe to the first few CPU cores, I managed to see what the problem is. As soon as the CPU cores responsible for the game and FFB get overloaded the FFB quality suffers immensely. This happens now either with OtterHUD enabled, with a bunch of overlay, or with loads of AI opponents. Since I'm only playing multiplayer, and can live with everything except the OtterHUD radar, the problem is kind of solved.

I just wish I could have more OtterHUD overlay... And also I'd love to understand how FFB is implemented in this game, how it correlates to CPU load and FPS.

Sure, I can buy stuff and upgrade to get overhead, but it's more satisfying to understand and optimize the gear I've got.
    (As soon as a new graphics engine arrives though, I'm upgrading.)

Edit: It seems to be quite simple really. RTSS framerate cap at 58, V-sync, VRR, very little OttoHUD overlay, gives me perfect FFB and experience overall. It all seems to be about not saturating the CPU, since the FFB can suffer greatly despite having high FPS overall.

Edit: Nevermind, I was running the HUD in 4k resolution, which it apparently isn't made for... Now with 1080p HUD and 4k in-game, the FFB is perfect and I can have as much overlay as I like.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got things sorted. You can run in 4k on an rx570? At decent graphics settings?

5. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!

Oh yes, the game looks good. I run 2xSSAA (much nicer than 8xMSAA) at 4k 32". Capping FPS at 58 with RTSS gives me perfect fluidity and frame timing, with no tearing at all since I got both V-sync and Freesync enabled.
    What I have to sacrifice is 4xSSAA and reflections. Shadows are on lowest, shadow split is on, and this looks good so I don't mind. Reflections have to be sacrificed entirely. Also, since I'm on a single screen I prefer hood view, which is much easier on the GPU than cockpit view.

I'd have to spend 400 euro to enable 4xSSAA and reflections. I don't mind the way the game looks and runs now so I'll just wait for a newer game engine until upgrading.

My only issue has been the FFB degrading because of my Ryzen 5 3600 bogging down. With OtterHUD at 1080p instead of 4k instead it's not an issue anymore.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  6. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    1. When you increase your resolution, the GPU can't draw as many frames per second, and the load is lightened on the CPU, because it is calculating updates for fewer frames in the same amount of time.
    2. When you decrease your resolution, the GPU then draws more frames per second, and the load is increased on the CPU, because it is calculating updates for more frames in the same amount of time.
    3. Sounds like you need to lighten the load on your CPU so the FFB can run without any difficulties.

• Like Like x 1