Problem Game fails to start after latest update

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by spacejazz, Jan 26, 2017.

1. spacejazz

spacejazz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks

After the update last night (southern hemisphere!) the game fails to start. The small RaceRoom splash screen appears, then the screen goes to black with a mouse cursor, with no loading images. Ctrl, Alt, Del shows the dump error message.

Ran 'Cache file integrity' and all is well. Restarted PC. Updated GeForce drivers, to no avail. It was performing just fine until the update (son and I were having a hillclimb challenge. I was losing :\)

Windows 10 home
    i5 6600
    Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3
    8GB DDR4
    GTX 960

No overclocking.

Cheers
    Ken

Attached Files:

2. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Try this posted by another user

fixed - found an old post on steam from Hannes about going into regedit and removing any instances of compatibility mode from
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers . I had three references to the rrre.exe in there , probably from different attempt - once deleted it was fine.

3. spacejazz

spacejazz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Andy

Appreciate the post. Sadly that registry location only had a key referencing AMS (automobilista).

Anyway, what're you doing on the forums. You need to be out pimping yourself so you can afford the 2017 SP 'Blade!

4. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I wish lol

5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You could try deleting your user data folder so the game makes you a fresh one.

Go to my documents/my games/simbin/R3E/. Copy that entire folder and paste it to your desktop momentarily so you have a backup. Then delete it. You will lose all of your controller settings, car setups, replay files, audio/graphics/menu settings, etc... and will need to reconfigure them. Perhaps there is something in there that is the problem. If that doesnt work, you can take the folder you copied to your desktop and paste it back in the location you deleted it from to restore all your previous settings.

Recently, someone had a ton of screenshots that the game was trying to load and this was causing a massive slowdown. Deleting that entire folder would remedy this if you also have this issue.

6. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a programmer here to verify but crash dump and my google fu tells me it could be NVIDIA drivers. You could try uninstalling your old ones and make a fresh install of the latest and hopefully that works!

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. spacejazz

spacejazz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi nate. I appreciate your post. I tried your idea before Kitsune had posted and was shattered, just a little, when the result was the same. However I did find some stupid orphaned files from previously installed software so I got to clean my drive a bit, so cheers!

Kitsune, I think you just leveled your google fu. Your solution worked and the game now runs as intended. Thank you very much.

Now if you wouldn't mind creating another hillclimb run, it'd be much appreciated :)

Thank you all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Ooh, nice to hear you got it working again. And thanks for trying out the suggestions. :)

9. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome and enjoy the (hill climb) racing!

10. testdriver69

testdriver69 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    but i had that too, i just killed raceroom task a few times an did some tab in / tab out an back it was.. no idea where that came from ?!?

11. XR Freestyler

XR Freestyler Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Processor i5 6600K is at 100% on all 4 Cores since the last Update when i play R3E. Framerate is over 190fps up to 300fps with the GTX1070 working at 35%, but there are Lags, cause the Processor is working too hard....

Specs:
    Win 10
    asrock z170 extreme4
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200
    MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G

12. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Could be related to our new replay system. Or related AI. So, do you play with AI on or off? What kind of session?
    All details are welcome (and really helpful)!

13. XR Freestyler

XR Freestyler Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Single Player - Training with 20 KI at Oschersleben / Audi TT Cup 2016
    Multiplayer with 4 Cars on Track - Canhard R52 at Portimao etc.

Always all Cores at 100%

14. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Edit: Never mind I was not reading properly.

15. XR Freestyler

XR Freestyler Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thrustmaster TX

Edit: Ok, now your Question is gone...

16. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was an issue related to Fanatec but it turned out to be a Project Cars thing. Sorry! :oops:

Only thing I could find was CPU bottlenecking the GPU but people seem very divided on that topic and to be honest, R3E shouldn't really eat up all the performance of your computer.

Also read that the 6600 CPU can sometimes show 100% even though it doesn't actually does anything but since you report some lagging that doesn't seem to be the case either.

Maybe we have recreated the issue I read about with Fanatec and Project Cars haha! Just to make sure there actually isn't a problem could you try running the game without the Fanatec stuff?

Another thing to test is turning V-sync on.

17. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Tried V-sync yesterday in hopes of better matching my FPS to tv/monitor HTZ (only 59htz :(), bad experience. Although the FPS remained lower with V-sync on (60-65 FPS) the studdering in certain parts of tracks was bad. Promptly turned V-sync back off, all is good. I need to check my CPU usage now that this has been brought up.

18. XR Freestyler

XR Freestyler Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Same here with V-Sync

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    @spacejazz if your problem is fixed can you change thread title from problem to resolved please , helps us keep better track of ongoing bugs , thanks matey