Getting the most out of my system and its Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan84, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Hi All

Below is the current spec of my PC.

I'd like to know what can be done to improve the visuals and running performance of Raceroom?

[​IMG]

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Run at 1080 x 1920 and put visuals at medium. Also change number of visible vehicles to 15

3. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I'd much prefer to see more visual cars.

In what area would you say the system was lacking? I dont mind looking for another CPU or adding more memory.

4. Pastor_Chris

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Your cup is fine, if you want better visuals you need a new gpu.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    lol I just purchased this GPU. What if I purchased another GTX970 to run alongside it?

6. Pastor_Chris

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I have a r9 270x which is worse than your card, and I can run at least 60fps on medium settings. You might just need to tweak your visuals. I don't think r3e supports sli

7. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I have very similar specs to you and I get 60 FPS + with everything on max and running about 30-40 AI.

I also have in addition in NVidia control panel 4x sparse grid supersampling on to enhance application, not override for more quality. Plus I'm running reshade.

I'd say you maybe just need to do quite a bit of tweaking and optimisation if you haven't already. That being said I used to tweak the life out of Windows 7 but Windows 10 I pretty much leave stock.

Are you running shadow split on or off in RRE?

The only other thing I could think of is that your system memory is a bit low for Windows 10 (IM 'non expert' HO)

8. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Im getting good FPS at the moment (avg is 80). I was just keen to know whether anything couldve been done to improve the visuals,

Also found how that turning off my other screen appears to have improved things slightly. I still get the odd dip in FPS when surrounded by loads of cars.

I made this a couple weeks back

9. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I have the same specs except I only have a GTX960 and the game runs smoothly (60+ FPS) with 80 AI, everything maxed out and visible cars set to maximum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    What FOV is that you're using?

11. Shenmue_X

Shenmue_X Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    When you said that, do you mean turn off normally the screen or completely disconnect the screen from windows (=stop to send the signal to the screen) ?

12. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I have some specific question abou GPU. Can i use external card from nVidia while my internal is from ATI ? My question is because i have MacPro. Don't want more to use ATI GPUs in the games and thinking about to buy external GPU for it (will connect it via Thunderbolt)

13. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Completely disabling it.

It only improved things (Frame Rate) slightly.

14. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I think I was using 1.5x. I cannot remember as I've changed to 1.1x since then

15. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I have the same specs as well (i5 4690k and GTX970), and I'm pretty sure I can easily run everything maxed out at 90+ fps.

What eats the framerate is antialiasing. And at 1920x1080 you need antialiasing, or else it's just no point in maxing out the details...it'll still look like crap, in my opinion.

So I ended up using 4x SGSSAA, LOD bias -1, ingame 4x MSAA and FXAA, FOV 0.9x. In order to maintain a steady 60 fps I had to set shadows to medium, everything else is at high, as far as I can recall.

SGSSAA really works well for getting rid of shadow flickering!

I can guess that many would disagree with the FXAA, but my main reason for using it is that the shadows for some reason look much better at medium when you also use FXAA, as they are smoothed out a bit, rather than being all blocky and jagged.

Turning off shadow split will also gain some performance, but for me the shadows look really cheap without it.

This all pretty much boils down to personal preference and compromise.