Bug Incidents in logfile not matching ingame

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Racki, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    We had a race in Hockenheim with DTM92 on saturday.
    It came up, that reporting showed up to 90% going-off-track laps. (see here under statistics https://www.raceapp.eu/rrvgt#/Events/1125?tab=stats)

However ingame there were no penalties or warnings shown (yes, they were turned on)

In after race talk we found a suspect issue which all drivers with high invalid laps did the same: Driving corner 1 behind the curbs but still on the okay area.

I can't say yet if it is specific to this turn or a general issue. Maybe the testers can keep that in mind when doing their standard testing.

Attached Files:

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You can go off-track without receiving a warning (like when going too wide in a corner). As long as you don't gain time the penalty system will not consider handing out a penalty because you didn't gain an advantage. You just failed at keeping your car on the track surface. ;)
    But in terms of rating systems, going off track can still be regarded an incident, that's why the system will log it.
    I'm not sure there's much that can be done about this atm, except stricter cut track rules, which isn't going to happen for a multitude of reasons.

Idk if it would be possible to create in-depth logging options, so the host can decide which events should be logged and which shouldn't, but then I assume you could also easily exclude those incidents from your statistics report and only count laps in which an actual cut penalty was handed out as invalid...

3. Racki

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply and insight. I see your point.

What would be interesting for me is to report all incidents which did cause a time advantage and warning/penalty therefore.
    I havn't seen any other values for off track apart from the 1. I know there are severity levels for crashes so maybe severity levels may be useful here too...

Apart from that more log details for the indicent are on my wishlist too... Where on track did it happen, who was involved in the crash, timestamps of the events and so on.

4. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hello @Racki

The incident reporting in dedi doesn't work based on cut rules. It looks at what you're driving on.
    Are you on tarmac or are you on grass.

If that part of track should be driveable without giving an off-track incident, then we can fix it from art side by changing the material.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Actually @Racki we just looked at the track, and the material you drive on is allowed only for 1.5 seconds.
    If you drive on the off-track material for longer than 1,5 seconds, then it's considered an off track event by the penalty system.

There are two ways out of this issue:

- Make this 1,5 seconds longer to allow for this
    - Invalidate the laptime if you drive on off-track longer than 1,5 seconds. Right now the issue I see is the difference between two systems that validate your lap and log an off-track event.

6. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Aaand I think I'm leaning towards invalidating the laptime after those 1,5 seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Racki

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Well, at least it works as designed :p
    I think too, that logfile and in game events have to match. Therefore I guess it is required to show a penalty/warning when leaving the 1.5sec area and invalidating the lap.

It would be nice if there will be an indicator in the logfiles if each lap was invalid. In former versions of RaceApp I used the minimum of all laps to calculate the best laptime. Until I found out that this value might not match the best lap from the logfile. The issue was logically an invalid quick lap.

8. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Yes, we're adding a valid or not boolean to dedi results for an upcoming patch.

We're also adding new data to the dedi results:
    - Start Position
    - Start Position in class

And then for each lap we're adding:
    - Sector times
    - PositionInClass
    - Valid

It's currently in beta, some are not in yet, so no precise ETA on when these changes will be pushed to you guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. Racki

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    That's amazing!

Since I have you right here now... Is there any way to query the server for session status?
    A kind of live timing per API would be over the top. To know what session the server is running and if there are any joined drivers would be a start :)

10. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    All our dedicated server API is documented, while the dedi app is running, you can access http://localhost:8088/swagger-ui/index.html

Have a look in "ProcessState" part of the json. You'll see if the dedi is running and how many players are on it, etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
  12. Racki

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon one more question please to the updated logfile content :)

What is your definition of a valid lap?
    I've looked at data where the drivers had combinations of CollisionWithATrackObject, CarToCarCollision, GoingOffTrack and LosingControlOfTheVehicle. Some of these laps were invalid but most were valid.
    I couldn't find a logic what really causes a lap to be invalid. Some invalid laps didn't even have an incident.

You can see the example here: https://www.raceapp.eu/esr#/Events/1272?tab=race
    Use the buttons (invalid / impact / cut) at the laps table and expand the row details by clicking the small arrow at the front

thank you

13. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    @Racki A lap is invalid if the player did one of the following:

• Drove with 3 wheels outside of the limits (you can have your lap invalidated even without getting an incident for going off in grass or gravel or going "off the track". The incident reporting was made to be based on which material you're driving on instead of if you're outside of the allowed limits. That has its pro's and con's, but it does what we wanted it to do.
    • Made repeated contacts with a wall (suspected wall riding).
    • Went over the speed limit in the pitlane

So all in all you can find your lap invalidated without incident points simply by riding a curb a bit too wide. And vice versa you can get incidents without getting an invalid lap by simply making contact with a track object within the cut limits, or going off the track (on gravel) but still on allowed area (because maybe there's no time to be gained going there)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018