Is Red Bull Ring that bumpy IRL?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manfredk2, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Red Bull Ring, one of my favorite tracks, has some mighty bumps in RRE. Turn 3 and turns 5/6 are really heavy, specially when driving stiff cars like DTM 2016 or Porsche GT3 Cup.

Is this track that bumpy in real life?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Guess we always have to be careful with video footage like that. I'm not sure, but to me it looks like they might be using some sort of gyroscopic stabilized camera system, cause the car doesn't seem to move at all. Even when driving over kerbs or when shifting or braking the picture stays (almost) perfectly still, which is definitely not what you experience when driving a car (especially race cars) yourself.

I think head mounted cameras give a better impression of what the driver actually sees and feels in regards to car body movement. This for example suggests that there's much more bumps and shaking going on than the video you linked does:

3. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I love the inside curb on turn one - the one with a catapult under it! Seriously that’s one magical curb.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, there's a reason they avoid that kerb irl. :p
    (In the first vid Müller is even saying "don't take any inside kerb in t1".)

5. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Yep, it will destroy the front, underside and or wheels. What it won’t do is flip you up onto your roof instantly. It’s honestly embarrassing to the sim as it stands.

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, whoever created this universe should be ashamed of the poor physics he/she/it left us with. ^^

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    You can pretend that’s what’s happening in game but it’s not. That guy is hitting the curb directly on the inside of the turn - where as in game you can graze it on the outside with a 1/4 of your front tire and instantly be on 2 wheels.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Proof or I'll keep pretending. :p

9. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Found another video which shows DTM cars from outside: http://www.speedweek.com/dtm/video/17311/DTM-2018-Red-Bull-Ring-Rennen-1-Re-Live.html

For example: from minute 30:00 you see the cars in turn 3 heading to turn 5 and 6 (edited my first post, number of turns was wrong). There is no movement in the cars so i think the track is not that bumpy. I think its real flat irl. Did also a test with the laserscanned AC Red Bull Ring - no bumps

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So what about that vid I posted here? Like I said up there you shouldn't trust TV images too much, those are often taken using stabilized camera systems so the footage is TV-friendly (not much use for TV if the image would be a shaky mess).

11. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Saw your video but i think you should see some movement of the suspension or the car body caused by heavy bumps from the static trackside cameras (not onboard).

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    that depends on how stiff the car is and how its set up ; some cars have next to no suspension travel while others have loads

also remember over time tracks change , tarmac being a slow moving liquid ...
    also at the end of the day everything is a numerical approxamation of the sudo reality we live in , and its the same for everyone as long as we dont take into account perception of that reality

fluff and bunnies
    Andi