Just Terrible!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pastor_Chris, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    From my own experience i can not agree with this, i can understand it though.

The problem with learning is that if there are to many variables which you have to control you get nothing right! To have a car which is more forgiving you can concentrate more on timing in steering, throttle, and most important braking.

The DTM 1992 cars are good for a second or even a third round of learning: Weight balance, traction loss, etc.. Because you know the track and the input it needs you can concentrate more on the car.

Learn with the default setup, don't mess with it until you're confident that the car and track is a known factor, only then you can make a judged decision to make changes. The setup is important but needs some reading of what to change when!

Eventually these things come together in you as a driver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Don't be discouraged, it took forever to complete a valid lap.
    Cars I used to learn effectively: WTCC: Seat, then the BMW in order to learn how the RWD handles. Then I moved to DTM 92.

3. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I learned better on FWD cars for some reason. Honda is tough to control, but I didn't have too much issue. I went from them to DTM 14 and ADAC. THE DTM 92 cars are cool bc of the different styles. Merc and BMW were the best for me to learn from....preferably the merc since it is a touch "slow". I ended up putting it all together with the 92 cars.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  4. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Let me explain what I meant. I started off racing in proper simulations with GTR2. I got to a level where I was decent but those types of cars never suited me, and even now GTs and high downforce cars are not my strongest. The problem with driving them, and learning with them is that there is that you need to learn the basic mechanics plus how the cars' behavior changes as you go faster and there is more downforce generated. That makes them ultra dependent on how close you are to the racing line, how exact your turning points are, etc. Basically the margin of error is much, much smaller. Add to that the lack of feel to what the rear of the car wants to do under braking and in slower corners. I found this to be much less of a problem in R07 with the WTCC cars and learned the rest of the mechanics of how to drive instead of focusing on not making mistakes.

5. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I too have a hard time with the GTs but only the GT3. I find the BMW and RUF GT2 are a blast and they feel closer to DTM's than faster GT3's. I haven't tackled the GT1 class yet.

6. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    The replies i made were for the original remark :) (see quote)

What i read further in some replies it's more: How can an already medium to good driver even become better, faster laptimes. And there are a lot of valid points there. But that is not the real issue here for the topic starter.

If i analyse my own adventure in sim racing then it's utmost important to get the basics down, keywords here are timing, flow, good race line, etc.. It's easy to forget by experienced drivers that the simple basics can already be a struggle for some. But the simple basics are easy to learn if you (at first) stick to the basics :D

It's unbelievable how much speed you gain if you are on the racing line with the right timing, any car is then much easier to drive. And that is still my advice to the starter of this topic: restrain yourself in driving: don't throw your car in the corner and think that is the fastest way to do it, but feel the flow. Ease in and ease out (like breath in and breath out) :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Sparkyplug

Sparkyplug New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree with rik

I've been playing sim racing games on and off since gtr 2
    Today in a wtcc race in a Cruze around monza a track I know very well after owning the game for 2 days out of a field of 16 I finished 4th could of been 3rd I was rather happy with this!

Then I decided to do an sp race in the same Cruze on Moscow raceway a track I don't know and thought for some reason I would go flat out straight away! Took me 5 laps without setting a time before I thought what the hell am I doing?

My point is you can be in the best car for learning ever if you don't know the track well enough you may as well be in a van :D:eek:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I actually took off my loadcell on my g27 and put a progressive spring on there. Helped a lot with breaking (I broke my leg two years ago and still hurts in cold weather). I chose the M1 procar, and was able to set some laps. I thought it was relatively easy to drive (compared to a adac car or dtm)

9. Sparkyplug

Sparkyplug New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Intresting I might have to google that upgrade? I've never been a massive fan of the brake pedal on my g27 infact in the past I've used the clutch pedal instead! So what area is it you struggle with corner entry hitting the apex or corner exit?

10. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Entry mostly. I think it boils down to the fact that I do not know the tracks that well

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fr13del

fr13del New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No way, thats me! XD
    Every corner a fight for my life...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry i suck too, but i'm actually starting to see improvement. I run middle pack lately in public races, while before I was always dead last. It gets better, just keep practicing, and try to have fun doing it instead of stressing over lap times. Smooth laps without wrecking will eventually = faster laps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps it helps to check Project Sim Racer by TheSimPit. Even if they only drive iRacing, but the driving basics are all the same in every sim.

You can also check the Driving School videos at TheSimPit.

• Agree Agree x 1