Lada set to leave WTCC at the end of 2016

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Matej Lakota, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    ... and so it will disappear. Bye, bye WTCC ... I will not miss you :).

PS: Lada had a good season in 2016 ... but Lada will never become a real world car manufacturer and they know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's it now. The beginning of what will be a very quick end for the WTCC.

Former WTCC boss Marcello Lotti surely saw this coming and was very wise to create a lower-cost alternative to the WTCC with the TCR class of touring cars. TCR already has a dozen or more manufacturers building cars to TCR spec after only a couple of years of operation, so it's quite clear which way the wind is blowing.

If WTCC goes to Class One in the next few years then it ceases to be the WTCC as far as I'm concerned.

I know I am highly unlikely to get an answer to this but I would love to know Sector3's take on the situation. Simbin/Sector3 has been synonymous with the WTCC for a decade.

Go get TCR as soon as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    LADA will focus on Russian series

5. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Lada Vesta for WTCC was mainly built by Oreca.
    So it might have been the decision of Oreca to withdraw from WTCC.

6. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I liked the idea of the TC1 cars. After all, the World Touring Car Championship ought to have the fastest, most extreme touring cars (without being silhouettes).. Some of the top drivers are still here as well. However, most of the tracks don't fit touring car racing and the racing itself has been pretty weak compared to BTCC, TCR or even the S2000 WTCC era.

We'll see what happens. Class 1 regs, I don't know. That union with SuperGT is still ongoing. The drivers themselves are a lot different as well. History has shown that traditional touring car drivers don't do that well with the modern DTMs.

Might be best for everyone to return to some ETCC format with the TCR cars and manufacturers.

7. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    DTM is a touring car series in name only. There's little physical link to the road cars they represent. The cars are basically an open-wheel with a silhouette bodywork stuck on top. Most DTM drivers come from an open-wheel background and it is increasingly used as a stepping stone from junior formulas to (and from) Formula One.

Class One would be a disaster for the WTCC. Personally I don't see where WTCC goes from here. Adopt TCR regs? TCR International already exists so I don't see the point.

The WTCC is living on borrowed time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Bruno Ornelas

Bruno Ornelas Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Indeed the WTCC is in troubled times, Honda have been faltering in their commitment and they might leave soon if there's no more manufacturers, of course, if they manage to getting the "old" Citroens racing next season and Volvo adds another car it could be interesting depending on what drivers are there. If it's a competitive championship, that could revive the championship somewhat therefore maybe entice another manufacturer to join although right now that doesn't look very likely...

Class One is hardly a touring car series, I mean there's pretty much nothing of the original car there. Also the costs would skyrocket compared to the current formula, manufacturers are already scaling down on the DTM, why would they come here? They could probably be interested in selling customer cars(to dillute costs) for use in the so-called WTCC but those cars are high maintenance, what private teams would invest in that? It would be yet another championship encroaching on the already crowded GT3/LMP price/performance level.

TCR makes more sense but the current manufacturer focus would have to be dropped which in turn would make it complicated to keep calling it WTCC as usually only manufacturer-focused championships are given World Championship titles by the FIA.

9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    A missing classic beneath the "old" DTM would be the "old" BTCC for sure....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
  11. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I have enjoyed the BTCC when I can watch it.

I also enjoy DTM, although not really touring.

Odd to see the WTCC now, how did they get here? what were they trying to do?

13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Hey, with joker laps coming S3 will have an excuse to add rallycross.

15. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The following tracks are off the calendar:

- Slovakiaring
    - Moscow
    - Paul Ricard

Good luck creating a full WTCC experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2