Load-cell brake sensitivity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A Warringa, Jun 30, 2021.

1. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I have CSL Elite LC pedals. Just did a race with the NSU TTS and braking was very difficult, I just couldn't feel the point where my wheels were about to lock up. I either brake too carefull (in other words too slow) or I simply lock up my wheels.

I lowered the brake sensitivity to 0% and that makes it better, now I have to push my brakes further before they lock up, but still.. it's almost impossible to brake right on the edge of locking up.

For load-cell in general, is 0% brake sensitivity recommended? Maybe any other setting tips how to improve my breaking?

2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    50% is recommended because at 50% its linear :)

My loadcell is set up so that i just reach about 90% with normal force i put on the pedal but i still reach 100% but with more force. In addition to this i somtimes lower the brake pressure a couple % for cars without abs...

3. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I actually didn't know that sensitivity setting was the linearity :) At 50% the brakes lock up too soon, way before I'm getting at the part where I have to use some force to brake. I tested some other cars and so far it mostly seems to be the case with the NSU. I will mess around with the brake pressure, thanks :)

4. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    What elastomer springs are you using?

No. I am not going to ask you to switch. I have the same pedal set and I just want to see what you are up against. I'm guessing that you are using the 65 shore springs?

I normally use the 85 shore springs, and when I am running those I have the brake calibrated to 50. With the 65 shore springs I calibrate the brake to 40.

In game I run the brake linearity at 75%. With the 85 shore springs, I like the brakes to be touchy.

With the 65 springs, I like 50%. It does take a lot of pedal force to lock the brakes, and rev matching is a little harder due to the pedal travel. But its liveable. As long as I planned ahead with the NSU, I didn't lock the brakes up. When I had to panic stop, then I locked the binders.

My other brake settings are as follows...

65 Shore settings
    (Controls, Advanced tab)
    Brake Lower Dead Zone - 5%
    Brake Upper Dead Zone - 92%
    Brake Sensitivity - 50%
    Brake Release Rate - 80%

85 Shore settings
    (Controls, Advanced tab)
    Brake Lower Dead Zone - 5%
    Brake Upper Dead Zone - 92%
    Brake Sensitivity - 75%
    Brake Release Rate - 80%

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  5. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback Wilko, I use the 85 springs. But it was the NSU that locked up way too easily, I tested other cars and in those the braking was perfect. I took Andy's advice, lowered the brake pressure with 4% and that immediately fixed it. Still need to brake carefull in the NSU, but at least the brakes don't feel like an on/off switch anymore ;)
    But I will certainly try your 85 settings, hopefully that will make the braking even better :)

• Like Like x 2