Lost performance!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Feb 18, 2019.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    For years I've been able to max this game out at 4k and get a comfortable 60 fps but just recently I can't run R3E on the same driver I've had since December last year and now I had to change driver and instead of 60 fps I'm now at 25 - 30 fps :( WTF is going on?
    I've tried multiple drivers but now my GPU is sitting at 99% usage instead of 70 and fps are crawling along?
    All other Sims seem fine except AMS also stopped working on the same driver R3E stopped with also.

2. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Scratch this !
    I've been going round in circles for 2 days trying to figure this out and as a last resort came here to vent . I also just (always try to avoid it) installed the very latest nVidia driver 318.91 (been using 399.24 and 417.22) and it fixed my performance !! That's a first for me as new drivers usually are avoided but in this case it's a good en ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    nVidia do like to release a driver or 2 or 14, bloody ridiculous as most are just individual game updates but, be warned, they do slip quite a lot else in now and again. I know it's a pain in the arse but a speed read of the release notes is always worth it, as a seemingly minor release has the ability to cause catastrophic consequences. There is always typing the driver info in your preferred search engine before taking the leap, as any issues will be right at the top of the pile. Throw in individual hardware issues and you get to realise what a minefield it is. Glad things are back to normal!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's weird , i had been using the same driver for a couple of months but been stuck into AC due to SOL and hadn't tried R3E or AMS for a while, (although i had played both on the same driver fine) and just the other day wanted to play AMS but it wouldn't run, so tried R3E and the same thing , so started troubleshooting . Only fix was either a old driver, but performance plummeted . So took the chance on the latest one and bingo ,perfection !
    I don't usually go for latest drivers and always check Reddit for a performance check before leaping, but today i saw no other choice .

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I had this also, performance became terrible. Installed latest Nvidia driver. Fixed instantly.

6. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I'm still on 388.71. I know it's pretty ancient, but everything works (AMS, R3E, rF2, AC) perfectly and I'm scared to touch it.
    Now I'm tempted to install the latest driver. Is there any benefit to download 418.91 or should I stick to the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Hard to say, if it's working its working....that said I got better graphics performance after the update (compared to before the problems started).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I just went ahead and installed the newest driver. I created restore point so if it turns out to be problematic I will just revert to the old version. Need to test it now, will report if there are any issues.

9. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Whack on the latest driver, if it doesn't work revert back. Benefits to be had using the latest and greatest, just make sure you have a good driver uninstaller, guru3d.com have a selection, remove all of the unwanted driver and bung the old one back on, no guarantees of course as there is definitely some form of sorcery involved, I'm yet to get AMS running again although using nVidia's latest creation, unlike others, who have, Witchcraft I tell you!

10. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I'm always using the latest nVidia driver and i have never got problems with any game, not with my latest pc and not with my previous pc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    So far, so good. I experienced no issue running short 30 min races in both AMS and rF2.
    I had a stutter followed by a freeze after few laps running Raceroom. After short investigation I noticed Power Management Mode changed to Optimal Power somehow for R3E (in nVidia 3D settings). I've changed to Max Performance and while I didn't have more time to run another 30 minutes stint, I run 5 laps in Practice with 28 AI. No issues so far. I'll test some more today.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Just finished 30 minutes offline race in Raceroom, with 30 AI. I think it's now pretty safe to say latest nVidia drivers run fine on my system. Add me to the list of people that have no issues.
    Thanks guys for reporting. Without you, I'd be probably still on old 388.71 :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I also always keep my GPU drivers up to date and until just after New Year ,my newly acquired F1 refused to work, wasted hours going through codies forum suggestions, after 2 weeks I was granted a Steam refund, as I had only managed 2 mins in game. A one off I thought, well entered RD's Mini cup (won't go into details as was a disaster) no problems for 3 rounds, round 4 was missed due to a triple monitor stand upgrade turning into a total rig rebuild which overrun so I dibbed out. Finished rig (no touchy PC at all and all cables are marked and go back in to the same slots) ran a bit of RR, as you do, couple days before race day, thought I'd better practice for coming race but no matter what I tried AMS would not start, so missed out on round 5 and kicked out for not giving enough warning! :rolleyes: AMS has never run again. o_O Moral of the story is..................... it's all bloody Witchcraft, a lot of people know a lot about a little bit but being so vast no one know's it all, so we believe what we are told, like 6 men walked on the moon, building 7 collapsed in support of it's comrades and Brexit means Brexit. The plot has most truly been lost, in the biggest pile of Bullshit! "Just press reset and the system will start as it should" said by who? Guy Fawkes or Bill Gates. That's how I update my drivers anyway! ;)

14. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well apart from running an always online game, offline. ;)

15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Ams not starting at all doesn't sound like a GPU problem, more like corrupt game files or something. I agree though, getting things working does feel like plaiting fog at times....to old for all this....(only 37 lol)

16. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Heh, yes, I meant Single Player:D

17. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    As I said in OP I couldnt get R3E or AMS to start on a driver that I had been playing both with, and was pulling hair out with frustration until I decided to download the latest driver only to be greeted with better performance than I've had on any driver before! Even benchmarks show improvement!

• Like Like x 1