Low FOV vs High FOV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OlivierMDVY, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    R3E uses vFOVx ... a multiplier of base vFOV (Base vFOV is 58° for single screen and 40° for tripples)

So for your setup you need 0,5x base vFOV in game to have mathematicaly correct FOV ... which is basically vFOV=29 (setting you should have in AC, rF2, AMS and other games using vFOV)

And for tripples it was 0.7x 40° = 28 (I guess it was 0.73 but R3E is rounding it to 0.7, 0.5, etc .. so vFOV=29) .. same vFOV as with single cause single screen running on tripples is basicaly the same as using only middle screen from tripples ...

What you could/should do to improve your experience is to move closer to let say 80-90cm and have nice 39°- 35° vFOV (0,6x in R3E ) .. if you can go even closer (70cm --> 44 vFOV .. 0.7x) .. I would go as close as is technically possible with maintaining eye comfort.
    Cause right now you are not taking advatage of that nice screen size .. you are basicaly on the same settings as me with my small "25 monitor and 50cm viewing distance .. respective worst as for me it is already °35

All considering you wanna run 1:1 mathematicaly correct FOV settings

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  3. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @le_poilu sure .. I think he is using another calculator (if he get 0.53 instead of rounded 0.5 projectimmersion is giving (and R3E using) but he wanted explanation what FOV values in R3E represents ....

4. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thanks.

I used the project immersion fov calculator afew years ago. When I originally set up my triple screens.
    This time, I used the iRacing fov calculator for my single screen.

It's all Greek to me.....no offense to any Greek drivers. :) "Degrees"..... Can't believe I forgot that.
    I'll just try Raceroom's "0.6" and go from there. I miss my triple screens already.

I'd love to move closer, but tv stand is against the T300 servo already. My arms get trapped by my chair's armrests if I move closer to the wheel. I need to dig out my old racing seat and mount it to something.

Thanks again.

5. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Olivier MDVY for starting this thread. It has been very helpful reading everybody's comments. And it got me thinking and experimenting with the FOV.
    I'm using a 46" screen, and have got the bare bones minimum gpu clock speed to run this sim. So any where I can reduce system requirements is a plus. And as it turns out FOV has a huge impact on video FPS. I've been running between 0.9 to 1.1 because I use peripheral vision in construction and mountain biking. And that seemed right to me. And with all graphic setting set to low I got a wide range on the performance. bouncing some where between Literally 45 to 100 fps. And in retrospect not very realistic car handling to me at least.
    So I bumped FOV all the way down to 0.5. WOW such a huge difference. I was running a consistent 120 FPS. But everything was so close. I felt boxed in and the turning was almost impossible with any speed, and no mirrors. Which I rely on a lot.
    So after fiddling with it for an hour or so I've settled on 0.7. The cars handling feels so much closer to my reality. Cornering is especially improved. And the view is much more like driving my own car. I can see the rear view mirror and read my display without needing the hud. And I was able to bump some of the details up to medium. Sweet. And the frame rate has settled down between 70 to 90 fps
    All in all a nice improvement to my experience.
    Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  6. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I too encountered that. The handling seemed to compliment the correct FOV but, I couldn't "look ahead".
    Sometimes, I had to just guess on my line and hope I ran across the apex of a corner. On a course I know, it's not that bad of a problem, but it would be a nightmare trying to learn a new track.

The thing I did like about it is that speed seemed to slow down. It was easier to place the car, apply brake/throttle....if only I had better peripheral vision.

I know there is software out there that can be used to move images on multi-monitors.
    I wonder if there is any benefit to using a 21:9 monitor, then having a smaller monitor on the left side (as if looking out the side window) and just not bothering with the right side monitor. 2 monitor setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I feel like I must be the only one that has issues with this website and its recommendations. Using that FoV calculator, it is saying that I should use 22 degrees in most sims... That's crazy low. Like, absurdly low.

I normally use between 44-50 for most games although it varies on the car I use and whether the view is somewhat obstructed or not on my single screen. For reference in R3E, I use 0.8x which gives around this same FoV on my monitor.

I cant even begin to imagine how heinous 22 degrees would be to actually use. Nor have I ever heard of anyone running that low...

Any thoughts beyond, "Well, this is your mathematically correct FoV, so anything else you use will be wrong." ? I know of people using FoV's of 65+ and that is obviously wrong, but 44-50 seems to have the same scale as real life on my screen...

8. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Hitting the apex. That brings around another point I rather miss from GTR 2. Which is the ability to set a variable for looking to the apex when cornering. I really found that helpful. And in fact true to life. When I'm driving my truck, I don't just stare straight ahead. I actually look in the direction I'm turning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Tried narrow or small FOV and really do not like it ... maybe it is not realistic but I like a large view with large FOV and drive from the cockpit so I want to see as much of mirrors as I can. I leave the narrow FOV realism for my IRL driving. Also I go faster and more accurately around the track with bigger FOV.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I have a single monitor and used to run something pretty close to the correct FOV for years because everybody is always shouting people down who use wide FOVs as doing it wrong and how they'll never be good at anything.

Recently, some settings got screwed up and my FOV ended up much higher than the correct one. My laps were suddenly faster and more consistent, and I greatly appreciated the extra SA gained from having a bit more peripheral vision.

With a triple monitor setup, I think you should unquestionably use the correct FOV setting, as you are not losing on peripheral vision and have nothing to lose. However with single, after switching to an incorrect FOV that's much higher than it should be (0.8), I can't go back to looking at the game through binoculars. I think there's a lot more room for argument for correct or wide FOV when it comes to single monitors than people say there is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ^ Exactly this :) A few people are almost evangelical about these sorts of topics - and I am not saying on these forums because I do not know. But it always amazes me, the inability to fully understand that every individual finds the balance of things, whatever they might be, for themselves and can happily use them even if they are vastly different from the next joker ;) Your observations re triples vs looking through binoculars on a single monitor sums up my experience exactly - well done :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. francis52132

francis52132 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  13. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Hi, just wanted to drop by and let you guys know that I'm using the perfect FOV, and that all you others are doing it wrong.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  14. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely. I advocate for the usage of "correct FOV" due to the benefits of using it, but also make clear that everyone should use what they're comfortable with and enjoy the most. For sure single screen users can be at a bit of a disadvantage when using a close FOV and should adjust accordingly. I use triple screens and start with the "correct FOV" but then tweak to my individual liking which is usually a little bit higher than the calculated value. There are tangible benefits to using a close/low FOV, but the value of those benefits is up to the individual user to decide.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Yup, this has been a great thread. It hasn't changed the way I find the best FOV for myself, but nevertheless, it has provided some sound information on the subject.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    So let's bump up this topic for the new comers :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I think everyone agrees....

- There is a correct Field of View (FOV).

- The calculated FOV is dependent upon monitor size, number of monitors and eye distance from monitor/s.
    Calculator LINK HERE Some sims have an FOV calculator built right into it as part of the setup.

- Single monitor users have "blind spots" when using a "calculated FOV" due to horizontal field of vision restrictions.

- Multi-monitor users have the benefit of a wider field of view which reduces blind spots and is much more conducive for the calculated FOV.

- Ultimately, your FOV depends on user's equipment and/or preferences or whichever brings about faster lap times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    One think to note, a HUGE advantage R3E has over other sims is it somehow manages to convey high speed even at low FOV settings. I shoot for realism, so I'm always using fairly low FOV. In other games low FOV generally means your car feels super slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    This being a game and a sim, the fov issue is between a rock and a hard place. You'd want a high fov because you are faster with it and you want to be fast because this is a game against other players. You'd want correct fov because its a sim and it should be realistic.

I drive with 1.1x with 3x27inch at 73cm of distance eye to screen. I lose time when going lower.

20. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Going faster or slower with a higher or lower FoV is completely personal. When I first switched to a low FoV I was slower, but now I'm significantly faster with a low FoV than a higher one. Trying to say that everyone is faster or slower with a certain FoV is just incorrect.

• Agree Agree x 2