Multiplayer unplayable because of high ping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sebbl, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

for me the multiplayer is quite unplayable. My ping goes through the roof although my connection normally is stable. It's the most extreme when a multiplayer race with a lot of player starts. My ping then goes up to 500-1000 and you can probably think of the chaos which starts because of that.

As said I don't think it's the stability of my broadband connection. I can play rFactor/rFactor2/Race07/etc. without any problems although my internet's quite slow (250 kB/s Download, something around 35 kB/s Upload).
    I don't think the dedicated servers I run on are the problem aswell as other drivers on the servers don't seem to have these sort of problems. At least not in this extreme way I got them.

Could it have something to do with the P2P-mode of R3E? At the start of the race everyone's bunched up and I guess most of the traffic goes through P2P because of that. If I understand the P2P-principle correctly, that means, that my connection has to upload my data (position, velocity etc.) to ALL drivers, which could sum up to a lot of traffic, which might be too much for my 35 kB/s upload.

Maybe someone can help finding the problem or it can help the devs making the game more enjoyable for players with slow connections.

At the moment I can't pretty much race online at all and it's quite disappointing as I've played rFactor for 6 years now without any problems and at the beginning my connection was only half as fast.

greets
    Seb

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Hi Seb, I know these problems well and that's the reason why I don't register for any race-event atm. For example I had a MP race at Zolder starting from the middle of the field and I had terrible lags and disappearing cars at the start. So I waited and let the field pass until I could see the opponents again and continued. As soon as I closed the gap to a bunch of several cars I got the same issue again and again. I always join servers with a ping around 50-60 and most of the times it's stable even with full grid. But I have the feeling some tracks are precedented for this issue. Furthermore since the latest update it got worse for me as I now also have timewarps sometimes. That means my car is jumping 1-2 seconds ahead but later during the race it jumps back the same gap. So I tend to focus more on SP for now although I like MP very much.

3. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    How fast is your internet then?

I've got the timewarps aswell, exactly as you described.

Singleplayer is not an option for me, the last time I played against the A.I. must be >5 years ago. Since I started racing against H.I. (human intelligence ;)) fighting with the computer is just 3 levels lower.

I only did competitions so far as I was waiting for the dedis to come out, but right now it doesn't even really make any sense to start an online race as the bad connection just ruins the race for me and probably a few other drivers.

Would be nice to know, if it's got something to do with the P2P, then an option to turn it off would be nice. As stated above even with older Simbim-titles everything was ok despite having this slow connection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I think we have exactly the same bandwidth. The provider cut down the 6000kBit to 2k to provide a stable connection. Since then I don't have any disconnects and a constant max download rate.
    The bottleneck could be the thin upload but I have no idea which kind and amount of data is being transferred during MP. The bandwidth should be sufficient but it seems it's not.
    Yeah, you're right. :rolleyes: Not really attractive to me either. I just had to configure my wheel again because of the Logitech profiler and chose for this a leaderboard competition ;)

5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    @Rella and @Sebbl have you guys been having these issues for a while now? Few weeks or few months? Or is this something new?

Also, when you guys are having these issues in MP, what servers are you joining? The official RaceRoom servers, or is it a custom user dedicated server?

I've noticed on a few occasions some very weird things happening in the past couple days on some servers, and generally it seems that it happens on the custom servers. High pings for everyone, lots of teleporting, etc.

I think this was pointed out in some other threads recently, that perhaps the problem isnt on your end, but instead that the server host doesnt have enough bandwidth on their connection to host an MP race. I know this sort of thing is an issue in Assetto Corsa where the host needs a decently fast connection if you want any decent amount of people to be able to connect and have a good experience.

If you guys are having this problem on the official RaceRoom servers, maybe make a note of which one, and list it off in here? The RR servers generally have a name like "RR #20" or something like that. Easily distinguishable from the user created ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Lags are not totally new to me but earlier it was rather an exception and now it seems to be the norm. This warping is new and also that on Norisring the counting of the laps was totally messed up. I read in the chat that several players had lag issues but I can't tell you if it were official RR servers. I just took care that the server ping is around 50 and Iam not alone. I will try to test some RR servers. Sorry in advance if I'm lagging ;)

7. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Haven't tried RR-servers since the patch, but before that I had problems aswell. Especially at the beginning of a race, pings were high and most of the time I was kicked back to server lobby in the first lap. I read that others had similar problems too, but hoped that this was fixed with the big patch.

The servers I drove on have 1GB connection I think, so that shouldn't be the problem as long as it's configured right. Plus other drivers on the servers only had very few problems (well - except me lagging all around...). So it seems that this problem only affects a few people who I belong to.

I was on teamspeak with them and my TS-connection was bad aswell at this moment. I could understand everyone else without a problem, but others couldn't understand me, so I think it's an upload-problem. I think, that the traffic due to the game takes already up so much bandwith, so that's not even the tiny bit left, which teamspeak has to have to function properly.

If I'm not mistaken in other games - older Simbim titles aswell - every client sends "one package" to server with its own information and every client gets e.g. 24 packages - one for every other driver on the server.
    In RRRE however - at least when everything is bunched up, like on the start of a race - I have 24 P2P-connections, so I get 24 packages but I have to send out my own information 24 times aswell - one package to every other driver.
    That's my understanding of the P2P-system, which means that download-traffic is equal to the "old" system but the required upload-bandwith is a lot higher - probably too high for low speed internet connections.

A word from the devs if this understanding is somehow correct and if the problems which come from that will be addressed would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  8. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Just tried 2 MP races. First one on the RR #37 (ping 51) and I could see most of the cars but had several timewarps what is annoying when you have a close fight for position. At the beginning I saw in the timebar and the map that I drive parallel to another car but couldn't see it. Later sb else left and wrote he had terrible lag. Sometimes single cars popped in and out. The 2nd race was on P1-Gaming server and qualifying was stable and I could start from pos 1. But after two corners on pos 3 always as a Mercedes came close from behind terrible lag started and I had to leave few corners later not to destroy the race of others. Like this MP is not playable for me atm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    This here seems to be a new problem after the recent game update. Im pretty sure this has been reported and the devs are looking into it. I have also experienced this and it's quite an odd thing to be driving on the track alone, when you have the icon on the map saying there is another player there, yet you cant see them.

As for the other issues both of you guys are experiencing... It seems like it is happening on a variety of servers. Im not sure what the issue could be here then. I figured it was the user created servers being at fault here, but that might not be the case.

I wouldnt really know what else to ask to gather any more information on what the root cause of the problem would be.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with similar experiences and come up with an idea.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Is this occurring on just dedi servers or official rr servers as well?

I have a suspicion it has to do with a p2p system bug as i had a problem recently after the patch were player were flatout disappearing when ever I got close but were perfectly stable at longer distances. but I havent had these problems recently

I actually have stopped having warping player issues just recently in fact I had some very close stable races.

11. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    @Sebbl Did anything improve on your side? Just tried once again a MP race and everything went smooth in practice and qualifying. But as soon as I am in the starting grid terrible lag starts and I have to leave.
    I would highly appreciate a statement from developer or official side if anything was changed regarding the netcode because it's really strange to me that I have such terrible lags since the update. :confused:

12. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    is this before or after the lights go out? because every body i talked to gets lag before the lights go out but it clears up before the green

13. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Well, I tried 3 or 4 races on different servers tonight. Were between 4 to 12 drivers. I definitely had warping on all servers (~1-2 times per lap). Pings seemed to be quite okay, especially with low number of drivers.

I did get punted off in quali quite unneccesary though, as if the other drivers just didn't see me. How does RRRE handle newly joined drivers? I know in Race07 it was possible that one couldnt see those who recently joined the server...

The last race race was at Shanghai (yep, pretty low fps) with I believe 12 drivers and I had lagging again in the first half lap. Didn't try further then because of the lags and low fps.

14. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Both.
    At the beginning when the flying camera shows the starting grid the opponents disappear and I just can see my own car after few secs. In the race where I started from P1 the first 2 corners were ok but as 3-4 cars were near me terrible lag started. In the race yesterday starting from P3 terrible lag started already from beginning. This indicates imo that it has sth to do with the synchronisation with cars near you. Also the other race showed this behaviour where I stopped to let the field pass and could see all the cars clearly from a distance. But as soon as I closed the gap terrible lagging started.
    From the number of replies here it seems it doesn't affect so many people. But I had many smooth MP races before the update. Maybe I already consumed already my MP capacity for this year and need to purchase the MP15 pack.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Another try, 4 cars on Sachsenring including me. Ping of server around 50, ping of other player was 44, but as soon as I came near to him the ping jumped to 2445 (yes, twothousand) and the car disappeared. Weird, isn't it?! :confused:

16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I think we can agree here that this is some weird behavior you are experiencing when trying to play online. Certainly when your pings are so low, to be having these issues whenever someone gets close to you is weird. Although I would have no idea how to help.

What might help out though is if you could attach some log files which the devs could look at to see if the problem is on their end, or perhaps some other issue.

Relevant log files can be found at C:>Users>(Your name)>My Documents>my games>SimBin>RaceRoom Racing Experience>User Data>log.

The files to include would be labeled as "Game_(some sort of date)". As well as "MWTransport_(some sort of date)". The files further down the list are usually the most recently played, but you could figure this out by looking at the date of the file. If you can remember exactly what day the problems occurred, and then attach the file for that day, that would be great.

If you cant remember the exact day and corresponding log file, what you can do is start the game from Steam, go into MP, and try a race to see if you have the issue. Once you have the issue, exit the game, and then find that log file. This way no other junk that isnt relevant will be included. If you open one of those log files and see some weird characters, that's alright, the files are just encrypted. The devs will be able to decrypt them fine.

Im sure this would be good for the devs to look at once they are uploaded here. Otherwise I can try to pass those logs along as well.

I'll attach a photo showing where the log folder is and the files to include.

Cheers

R3E log folder.PNG

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    @nate Thanks for your time. I uploaded the logs that should include yesterday's MP race but I left after one lap due to the terrible lag.
    What is strange that I have two Raceroom folders and tend to uninstall R3E and install from scratch. But this should have nothing to do with the MP lag and would mean 12h download for maybe nothing.
    There is a folder "RaceRoom Racing Experience" and the other one is called "RaceRoom Racing Experience Install 2" with the same folder structure. The last one contains logs till May and also a MWtransport.log with more than 600MB!?
    [edit 15.06.] added another log - contains DTM15 competition and at the end the first lap of a MP race at Laguna. Pings of other cars varied from ~40 to ~900 up and down. That means all cars had this ping, so either the whole game was stable or every car very laggy. Thought it will become stable after a laggy beginning but was still terribly laggy after one lap. Can't drive a single MP race any more.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hey @Rella, thanks for attaching those files. Those should definitely help out deciphering the issue.

Im pretty sure I have had some MP races and have seen you online a few months ago... and you are way too fast to not be able to enjoy MP right now. ;)

I wont be able to make out anything of these logs however, but I submitted a bug report for the devs. Usually they get to looking at these sorts of issues pretty quickly, especially issues that prevent people from being able to play without trouble. I cant speak for the devs, but I would expect some sort of update by the weekend. At least from my experience.

@Sebbl, if you have any logs that you can attach as well since you are also experiencing a problem, that would most likely be a big help.

I hope something can be figured out to remedy whatever problem is going on here. Perhaps, in the meantime, just know this will be looked at.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    @nate Thanks again for your support ...and the flowers ;) Very likely that we met earlier as most of my km in R3E are from MP. I'm curious about any feedback from the devs regarding modified synchronisation or whatever.
    For now it seems we have to focus on SP and I saw that @Sebbl is doing very well in the DTM15 competition. Curious how the following race of the top 20 will work.

20. Frankymoe

Frankymoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem. I think on public server my ping is good, but on dedicated server the ping is bad! I would be grateful for a solution.