My thoughts on a (not very happy) milestone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam Jonas, May 9, 2016.

1. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone!

I've arrived to a milestone - I have more than 200 hours in the game, so I thought I'm going to write down my opinion about some things.

First of all, I've registered to R3E in the very beginning - I clearly remember that test phase, when you could buy cars for 'free'. I really liked the game at the time, although it didn't run very smoothly on my actual computer (AMD Phenom II 945X4, 8 GB DDR3, HD 5850). Because of school, I stopped simracing for a year - when I returned into simracing again in 2014, and played with R3E in the end of 2014. The software's developement were very promising that time - and I had to say, it improved that time a lot! And I was very happy about that. The good updates kept coming - until the end of 2015. Since you introduced the DPS system, you screwed up the game's physics totally - first, the DPS, then with locking the setting up possibility of differential... Well, I will be honest, but for me the game now is totally UNENJOYABLE...I'm not driving, I'm struggling with every kind of car - the GT3 class was pretty good, as well as the DTM class, now it's a big piece of....I leave on your fantasy what should I write here. And mainly not because of the DPS system - mainly because of locking the setting-up choice for the differentials, and some other parts...

That's one thing. I would bear that I'm struggling right now with the cars - you know, practice makes purrrrfect...I mean, perfect. But in 2016, you think it's right that to use a 10-years-old DX9-based engine? For me 'developing' means something gets better and better - but for God's sake, this software runs much worse right now then 1 year before! Yes, you read right. WORSE. I know my PC isn't the best, but seriously, everybody should buy a freakin' i5/i7 to run this game smoothly? Really? I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy a completely new/halfly new PC just because of this game....

I'm playing with SimBin games since GTR2, I bought every RACE 07 DLCs as well, and I was really-really happy when I noticed that the studio and this game arise. But right now, I'm sad. And upset. Really-really upset.

I never say never, but I'm not going to play with this game and buying any kind of content. Sorry guys, maybe later.

Btw, I'd like to thank you for that past 200 hours of fun!

Cheers,
    (a not satisfied, former customer)

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, it's the opposite for me. This is now a very good sim since the last 2 updates.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    An Intel i5 (or AMD equivalent) is really a prerequisite in order to enjoy decent performance with modern PC games. R3E might be using an old engine as its base (although heavily modified) but that doesn't mean you should expect the game to run nicely on a potato.

You have to move forward.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to say this, but you are not right. Many games run pretty good on this CPU, despite it's not the best - one thing is correct, I need some compromise in respect with the settings, but usualy I can set it every game into an enjoyable level, with a good quality too.

Btw, with this system, I run many CAD system, without any trouble...any question? :)

But, okay, let's speak about some other things. In a 2014 dev stream, the guys said an iRacing-like rating system is on the way. Right now, it's May 2016, and we know nothing about it. NOTHING. Is it dead? Or will it come 2 years later? Or WTF?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    HD 5850 Isn't that like 8 years old?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps it's an AMD thing? Your CPU and GPU are decent.

Most people seem to think R3E isn't all that demanding to run. I run a mid-range Intel CPU from 2011 and R3E doesn't really test it, even with massive grids of AI. Most games don't push it to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I would buy a new PC only for R3E.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Right now I have GTX 960. I used to have an HD 5850, back in 2013.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    You sound like someone from the SCS software blog? But hey if the game is not running well for you I understand. Right now it runs top notch for me , triple screens and all. But on a prior mobo I had issues.

Now more than ever though, when I play other racing games I realize how good R3E has become....It's the king right now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ClayytonBR

ClayytonBR New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree! The game, right now, is totally unenjoyable! I even reinstalled GTR Evo just to be sure that I wasn´t being too harsh about R3E, but no! The AI in GTR Evo is waaaaaaaay better, they overtake, push you, give you the feeling you´re really driving against real drivers. I also gave up on R3E, for the moment, unfortunately. The game lost its appeal that was a very smart AI. Some people have gotten along well with the last two updates, but I´m pretty sure that those who really like to sit and enjoy a challenging sim must be quite disappointed right now.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I guess I am missing the point of the thread. Why don't you like the game?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    objectively , only I perceive that this sim only improves day after day

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I don't know Race07, but compared to Assetto Corsa and Peoject Cars, the AI in Raceroom give me the best races. I had a some very enjoyable races with wheel to wheel and bumper to bumper action, that were pretty close to a good multiplayer race, of course there is always room for improvemment.

From what I understood the diffs are locked now, because the real ones were/are locked. So I am fine with that. At first I wasn't happy with for instance the Group 5 update, as the cars felt too easy. But when pushing them to the limit to reach a top spot on a leaderboard, they get their teeth back for sure.

I am 2 minutes short of my personal 100 hour milestone and I do enjoy the game a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. marciovs28

marciovs28 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion the staff of R3E is going the right way! The game flows in a pleasant way and by far is the best racing simulator at the moment. Obviously there are still many points to improve, but the immersion and sensation of piloting that the game offers is really impressive.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The still missing features like the promised rating system, that I get. The rest not so much. So you are complaining about that the setup got adjusted more towards how it is in real life and you complain about the game still using an outdated engine, besides that your pc is just as ancient? Seriously?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    No, my point is, the based on an old engine, although it contains some new features, it still needs too powerful hardwares, despite the origin of the engine.

It's like you need to have an i7 to run rF1 - seriously? This 'ancient' hardware can run any kind of new games easily, with proper settings. (Note: I know that my PC isn't the best, but I still know people who uses the game with much worse hardware, without any performance problem.)

Secondly, not I'm the only one who's struggling with the same problem - with using much more better hardware.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I'm certain that they won't have a line of code just to slow down people who's on older hardware. ;)

I run a GTX660Ti with a i5-3570K, at a 1680x1050 resolution, with 4xAA or sometimes 2xAA for big grids, with all other gfx options turned up, and the game runs really nice, most of the time at 60fps (i have vsync on).
    Do you btw have AA too high, or anything conflicting on Nvidia driver settings?

Regarding the game aspect, while I see there's room to improve, the latest updates have brought the game to a whole new level, including car handling which I feel is much better now than before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    On the performance side I think R3E runs really sweet, over the last few updates it runs smoother and looks better, my fps is extremely good. Yes it is dx9, but hey it still has a very nice natural look, iracing and R3E have a very similar look, before and after iracing moved over to dx11, which has taken many years, now I'm sure R3E will move over eventually, but when they need to, but just because it is using a old engine and dx9 it doesn't mean you can get away with running it on a low spec machine, i5/i7 are pretty much the norm now days, and most peeps I know run higher specs than that, that's the thing with PC's every few years you need to upgrade something, it's called moving forward.
    I say my PC spec's are getting old, but right now they run everything I use, but the clock is running....

19. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Even though the base engine may be the same, R3E and rf1 are not comparable in any way. But of course such an old engine runs into certain limits at some point. You on the other hand should be thankful that you can run the game at all on a 7! year old system instead of complaining about performance issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    The more I read this thread the more I am amazed.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are many reasons one could dislike this game, I just never thought a complaint about using an old engine and using old hardware was one of them. Using an older engine doesn't make a game bad and the number of people on older systems here seem to think it runs better than most other sims.

Now if we are talking Batman, I could see the point.

• Agree Agree x 4