App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. tcb77

tcb77 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Essential app mr_belowski, I would ask if at some point there is a chance you'll make a version for Assetto Corsa?

2. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    That would be a great idea with all the wreckers there :p I do not think that all the data he needs is in the AC API though.....been begging Kunos to add more data to their shared memory but they ignore my posts..

Though maybe Mr Belowski has magic tricks under his sleeves.......

3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if the data accessible to the python apps would be enough for crew chief - could package it up into a UDP packet and send it to my android app maybe. Dunno, seems like a lot of work and python makes me want to puke. Will have a look some day soon

4. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,509 / 0 / -0
    FYI
    I noticed there are still quite a few false warnings about cars coming from behind, when leaving the pits.
    I did also get a "great move" when the guy in front of me lost his car into the gravel.

5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    It was a great move not to follow him out in the gravel. ;)

• Funny Funny x 7
  6. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the overtake messages are hard to get right. Its supposed to check the opponent hasn't slowed down too much immediately after the pass, perhaps I need to make this stricter.

Will take another look at the pit exit message logic.

Thanks for the bug reports, keep em coming guys :)

7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    On tracks like Norisring you'll get a "car left/right" warning simply because the counter straight (opposite direction) is just a few meters away ...well due to the layout of some tracks it couldn't be avoided I guess..nevermind - using my common sense I know that there is no car trying to overtake me......

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Amazing app thanks!
    Only issue ive come across is when the pit chief tells me how far off the pace i am even when i am in first he always tells me i am 48.5 secs off the pace

9. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to start the application automatically when R3E is launched from Steam? Thanks

10. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    What does this app in a few words?

11. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Increases immersion.Adds a level of Realism. Provides information on your race , car stats, who's pitting, position , fuel, tires, delta times & laps times, words of encouragement and more. ;).

A must have in my opinion. Dont forget to buy Mr B a Beer.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    1. replaces/enhances the ui with audio. like a real race.
    2. increases spacial awareness by telling u your position relative to the cars around you.

all options are toggle able/ adjustable so no need to worry that something will annoy you

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    3: swears

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    That was the "more" in my post.
    Yesterday at Suzuka in a GT3 my spotter said something like, " We want a clean race, no F#*k ups."
    Such a cool app.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    A tiny bug... or perhaps a limitation...

I just a WTCC 14 championship race at Mid Ohio and as I was struggling a little in qualifying. Anyway I finally got my act together and my second last lap put me in P2. Then on my last lap I knocked off a tenth and put it on pole :cool:!!!

Unfortunately my crew chief said "P2".

I suspect that's because as you cross the line at the end of the session, the session abruptly closes (something I wish it wouldn't do - an in lap would be nice, but that's feedback for S3).

So... can Crew Chief wait for the shared memory to be updated before giving my position or is the memory not updated because the session ends.

By the way, my pole lap was captured in your wonderfully helpful list of session lap times...

Thanks - and I'm still lovin' the app - its now just part of R3E for me. It feels lonely without it.:blush:

16. Poapi

Poapi New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I love this app. It puts you right in the race and gives it a more realistic touch. Since the last december update though the chief doesn't tell me when someone is on my side. He is not saying "left/right side" or "still there" and "left/right clear" anymore. Has this something to do with the update, some sort of bug or did i something wrong?

17. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    that's weird. I'll have a look at that later. Anyone else finding the spotter not working in 3.10.0?

Make sure you've not got the spotter disabled in the properties screen. Also make sure you're using the latest version - the shared memory was changed when Raceroom was last updated so my app needs an update to work properly.

On an entirely unrelated matter, can someone explain to my why anyone could possibly think that Python is a suitable language for *anything*? I've just started trying to combine the Assetto Corsa shared memory and python plugin data into a byte array that and be sent to Crew Chief. I've never worked in Python before. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but it's just fcking hateful :(

18. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I did not even bother trying.... :D Took a look at it a few weeks ago and I ran away as fast as I could!

Having said that, many use it...its just not for me

19. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps I'm a bad programmer, but the complete lack of meaningful compile time checking combined with no significant IDE support makes it a bizarre choice for anything more complex than "hello world"

20. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Can't import the python socket library, can't get a meaningful error message when it fails, can't connect a debugger, can't access the AC module from an IDE (so no code completion / incremental compiling / checking), can't build any unit or integration tests, can't test *at all* without starting the game up, can't run the game in a window without random crashes.

Totally can't be arsed banging my head against this particular brick wall, sorry AC players. Perhaps I might feel differently another day but the tumbleweed rolling through the programming section on the AC forum doesn't do much for the enthusiasm, and the choice of Python for a plugin language seems completely batshit crazy to me

• Like Like x 1