App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I can't download the msi installer Mr B. It says error reading file.

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    i just updated the app - try again, might have caught it half way through

3. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    This was last night. The crew chief works great, it the bit after where I can ask questions. It extracted the us and gb language part but the installer part was the issue

4. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    downloading it now to have a look. It's *really* slow isn't it

5. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
  6. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    It was lightning fast for me....

7. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    What's the best thing to use for uploading a picture on here please

8. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    no idea, what's the problem?

9. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    None now, it's working and I have a new friend :smile:

10. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    You can use windows Snipping Tool, save the image as png and then just use the "Upload a file" button on here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Capture.PNG This is what I was getting with the old links but it's working now thanks

12. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Great app.
    I've been using on Pcars and now that i bought a few packages from R3E, i'm using it as well.

I was wondering what would be necessary to translate the app, the audio messages and the voice recognition in PT-BR (portugues - brasil).
    Dunno if Microsoft has the files for the voice recognition, but the other 2, is it possible?

13. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    @mr_belowski
    I just ran a race using an Audi GT3 car at Oschersleben.
    The crew chief V4 (not the 2 latest versions with pCars fixes), is giving incorrect spotter information.
    Wondered if this is a bug or just a limitation?

I was coming up behind another car and the crewchief indicated I had a car on my left. I was caught off guard, since I wasn't aware of any cars behind me, and I looked.....nothing.....then I rammed the car in front of me.
    Several laps, the crewchief kept telling me I had a car next to me, but the only car in the vicinity was in front of me - and I'm less than a car length behind it. I have the replay video, hopefully it contains the crew chief audio.
    Just wanted to let you know.

14. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Was it always at the same point of the track it would give the incorrect call or did it vary?

15. pinor27

pinor27 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately I do not speak English :(
    but that 's an incredible job !!
    if you can enter the message as in the video (in minutes 2.50)
    it would be fantastic :D:D

well done!! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

I fixed the balls up with Project Cars, and the current version should have far less spotter ghost calls but if you do get 'em, it'd help me to know what track & corner. I can't see where they're coming from to be honest (now the closing speed stuff is sorted) but one possibility is inaccuracies due to elevation changes. The orientation calculations only take the first Euler angle into account (yaw) and rotate the co-ordinate frame based on this only. If the car is pitching up or down significantly this might not be accurate, but my 25 year old A-level maths doesn't stretch far enough to rotate a co-ordinate system in 3 dimensions based on Euler angles...

I've been fiddling around with adding customisable prefixes and suffixes to messages, while I've been reworking the sound player. The old sound player code loaded 1500+ .Net SoundPlayer objects and held them in memory. This was causing some weird behaviour - I think the app is bumping into file handle limits or some other internal issue in .Net caused by having all these loaded SoundPlayer objects kicking about. I've reworked this into an LRU cache.

Now for the fun stuff... this rework has let me extend the logic a bit. If the app finds a sound file with a magic name (yeah, I hate having meta data represented in file names but it'll do for now) then it will add another sound file to the start or end of it. So I have another sounds folder called prefixes_and_suffixes. This contains subfolders, each with a prefix or suffix - stuff like "neutral", "angry", or "encouraging".

The app picks a sound for, say, the "get ready" event (played at the beginnng of the start lights cycle). If the sound file it picks is called, say, "prefix_neutral19.wav", the app gets the sound files in the prefixes_and_suffixes/neutral folder, picks one at random, and plays it before the sound it was going to play.

Why is this fun? Well, because the sounds in prefixes_and_suffixes can be personalised. So rather than saying "watch for the lights, keep out of trouble" the app will say "OK Jim, watch for the lights, keep out of trouble". Or instead of "your lap times have gone to crap, sort it out" it could say "f*ck's sake Jim, your lap times have gone to crap, sort it out". Or instead of "nice pass, keep 'em coming", maybe "nice pass, well done Jim".

Stuff like that.

All a bit nebulous at the moment but looking (potentially) quite cool. The code is all working, it's just a matter of figuring out a sensible way to make this kind of stuff available

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
  18. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Wow it just keeps getting better and better. Adding our names into the prefixes and suffixes is taking it to another level and really personalising it. I like the sound of it a lot :)

19. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Enjoy your beer Mr B , well deserved !!! Just wanted to make sure with the auto update, it overwrites correct? We don't have to uninstall first? Also Sound pack and drivers names appear to be up to date and are opaque as in they can't be clicked on. Do they remain like this until you have a soundpack available ?

Cheers

20. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Correct on both counts, and thanks for the beer, I shall drink that while sitting in my bath full of money ;)