Offline Physics vs Online: Anti-wrecking system ruins offline racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bullet66, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Bullet66

Bullet66 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can understand that there are some "liberties" taken with the physics to reduce the incidence of wreckers online. But seriously, watch a race on TV and tell me what happens when the a car bumps the car ahead. Does the trailing car go carroming off the track? No. The front car usually ends up in the gravel and the trailing car (the rammer) gets the trophy and the girls. Please tell me why in R3E I can ram a car ahead and my front goes spearing to one side? Not that I want to make a living wrecking cars, but because the AI is inconsistent and erratic, sometimes they stop short under braking or mid-corner, I tap them but my front end goes spearing off and the car ahead gets turbo boost to go further ahead.

I can see this being useful in online racing to prevent the bump and run, but it makes racing touring cars impossible. Same with car glue when two cars touch and slow down. And also I find it impossible to successfully spin a car when doing a pit maneuver. Again, not that I'm trying to wreck everyone (I only race offline) but these deviations in the physics totally break the immersion. I can't see myself doing more racing (at least in WTCC) without upgrades to the physics.

Thanks, Ryan

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, it's a major annoyance of mine and many others on here. The devs are aware as this is issue has been discussed a number of times but whether they plan to change collision behaviour is unknown. I hope they do as the collision physics are unnatural at present. A racing sim should represent reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bullet66

Bullet66 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for basically telling me I am NOT crazy. And sorry for reiterating what's already been said. I didn't know if there were more offline players like me or if most are online racers. R3E has a lot going for it for offline racers, it just needs better collisions. My hope is it gets there. The product keeps improving. I guess we just need to tell them it still matter to help motivate them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Always worth reminding them. Not sure if it's on the to-do list or not (and it's a very big list, apparently) but plenty of people have complained about collisions so I would hope they get attention at some point.