Playing Raceroom with the PS4 controller is great!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheFlash, Nov 12, 2015.

1. TheFlash

TheFlash Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    [I'm not a native English speaker, so please forgive me if my language/grammar is off at times]

I'm new to Raceroom (previously played pCars on the PS4 for a few months). Since I have no wheel, I tried out my PS4 controller on my PC. And it actually works surprisingly well. When you use the "DS4Windows by Jays2Kings" instead of the general wireless gamepad driver, the controller works as it should and you can customize it in many ways. You can even increase the rumble above 100% and use the build-in touchpad as a mouse in menus.

And now to the cool stuff:
    I'm playing Raceroom in 3rd-person-view (I know, not very popular these days) and obviously I can see the brake lights on the screen shining red. I thought it would be nice, if the light bar of the controller illustrates the breaking - and it works, you can configure that! So I set up the light bar to be off on default and when hitting the breaks, it turns red and lights up the nearby area in front of me (especially when playing in a darkened room).

I don't know if anybody else think that it's great - just wanted to share my excitement :)

And thanks to the devs for the good in-game control options. I haven't played any other racing sim which plays that well with a gamepad like Raceroom does.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Johan Korthout

Johan Korthout New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you use the DS4 controller wired or wireless? If wireless, how did you do it? I think there is a wireless dongle for that? (but it seems to be sold out almost everywhere...) But it sounds interesting though...and nice discovery about the ability to configure the led light of the controller for braking light ;-)
    Thanks for the info already - John

3. Skelm

Skelm New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice to know when I dont have the energy to use the wheel :D

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I used a ds4 controller before I got my wheel/rig setup and you can have a lot of fun with the game that way.

The ds4 controller is supported natively through steam so no need for any third party apps. Just setup in controller options. Works both wired and via Bluetooth.