Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964) | Setup Guide

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Another Porsche, chose this for the simple reason that these new Porsches are on some of the most up-to-date physics. A much more tame car than the 934 is, but still has the normal Porsche traits of lift-off oversteer and understeer on power. Because this car does not have that much power, you can't really compensate for the understeer by letting the rear wheel slip a bit, which makes a well-balanced setup important. However, it is a fine balance between making the car nice and responsive on power while keeping it stable enough on entry and mid-corner. Just as the modern cup car, the setup is quite locked down, but still enough options to make a significant impact on the handling!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Nürburgring Short

Setup & Telemetry

Brake Bias
    Not as critical to get this right due to the ABS on this car, though it can still help to tune the brake bias to get more rotation on the brakes. This is exactly what I did as I shifted it quite far to the rear. It did not seem to affect the overall stopping distance much.

Tire Pressures
    Decided to keep the pressures on default, the temperature spread on the tires was fairly good straight out of the box. The pressures are maybe slightly on the high side for this track, but lowering the pressures only made the tire temperatures go up and made especially made it more difficult to keep the rear temperatures under control.

Camber
    This car has a lot of roll on the rear, which means that the negative camber on the rear gets a lot lower as you go through corners. So even on a relatively slow track like this, lowering the camber only decreased rear grip in corners. On the front this was not really a problem, so there was some benefit from lowering the camber slightly, as there are not many high speed corners where this high camber is needed.

Toe in/out
    Very similar to the other two Porsches, I kept the front toe-out on default, but lowered the rear toe-in a bit to get a bit more rotation on power.

Anti-Roll Bar
    The car was still quite on the safe side, which is normally how the default setups are intentionally balanced. As the rear rolled so much, it was really difficult to get rotation on power, which was improved with the lower rear toe-in, though I decided to try to improve it further by increasing the rear ant-roll bar. This also improves the camber behaviour on the rear a bit, so it was quite a worthwhile change in theory, which also turned out to work in practice. The overall result was still on the safe side, so I lowered the front anti-roll bar by one click to get the balance to my liking.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.