Raceroom and the legend of Pyracurse.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lixma, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    A million years ago there was a game for the ZX Spectrum called Pyracurse. It was a pretty good game but for inexplicable reasons the developers decided that being able to restart the game after your band of adventurers was killed was an unnecessary luxury. If you wanted to play again you had to re-load the entire game - which in the days of cassette tapes took the patience of a saint.

So imagine my surprise when after a terrific race with the A.I. I discover Raceroom will not let me restart the race. No, I am thrown back to the main menu and have to wait while the whole thing reloads everything that was there only seconds ago.

Why?

2. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Once an event is done, it's done. It would be pretty annoying if you weren't thrown back to the main menu imho. Just setup the race accordingly to what you want and don't make them too short, and maybe set it up for a two races event if that is to you likings. Maybe with reversed grid, or new quali, or with results of race 1.

And if your loading times are the same as with a ZX Spectrum fully loading a game, it maybe is time to do an upgrade here and there... :p;)

3. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    This makes no sense at all.

How can being given the option to restart the race be more annoying than being thrown back to the main menu and have to load the whole thing again?

Every other racing game in existence (including S3/Simbin's own GTR and Race series) give you the option to restart the race.

4. Patrick van der Meulen

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Because it isn't the other games I guess? R3E is really event based. As long as the event is running in single player, you can restart it. But once the event is done, it's done.

That's also why I mentioned the process of setting up an event. If you really after doing the same short races over and over again, maybe R3E just isn't the best suited game for you. :)

5. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Which is complete madness. Why not just throw the player back to desktop - after all the event is done!

Incredible.

I honestly didn't imagine the inability to restart a race would be defended as a feature; as something that distinguishes R3E from the competition.....but there it is.

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If it isn't to difficult to implement, a restart-Button in addition to the Continue-Button in the Resultlist wouldn't hurt...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    And a REPLAY button too.

If I pause the race one second before I cross the finish line I can watch a replay. But the moment the race ends....nope. Why?

I'm really loving R3E but these weird design choices just baffle me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Patrick van der Meulen

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Sorry bro for just try to explain the difference... :(

9. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I would like the option, in MP it would be handy in case there's a bad start to a race, just to be able to restart it without losing qually results would be a real winner.

10. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    There should definitely be a replay option after the race has finished.

Unfortunately the pace of development is glacial so don't expect your wishes to be implemented any time soon.