Resolved Serval seconds lasting lag

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Keddy, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Keddy

Keddy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey there,

I like racing with large grids (about 60-70 cars) and haven't tried, if this happens with smaller grids as well. The game runs smoothly at 60-90 FPS, depending on how many cars are nearby. But after some 15-20 minutes it seems my computer takes a brake and it occurs, that I have 2-3 seconds of catastrophic lags.
    It feels like there are less than 5 FPS, which mostly lets me end up in the gravel trap or barriers. If not, I experience exactly the same issue some minutes later. Unfortunately, this totally ruins R3E for me, as I cannot run race of serval hours.

I have tried to use ESC, but the game seems to register only wheel-inputs during this issue. I am not able to open the menu as long as my computer / the game has a siesta.

My system specs:
    Intel Core i5-4670K (not overclocked)
    8 GB DDR3-1600Mhz
    Nvidia Geforce 970 GTX
    Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Windows runs on an SSD, games are installed on an HDD. Graphics cannot be the reason, as I have good FPS-rates with a single screen FullHD setup. My game is vanilla, I have no dashboard-app or any other plugin in useage.

My system runs AC, PC and iRacing very smoothly as well, but there occur no such behaviors issues. R3E has catched me with its single player races, so I would love you for some advice ;)

Thanks in advance!

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, have you checked the Windows Energy Options already, maybe they are set to 'balanced' and sth tries to go into energy saving mode after a certain period of time?

Any security software running that might be starting some sort of background check?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  3. Keddy

Keddy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply. As I am heading out to Spa now, I will try those things after the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, have fun at Spa then.
    Later

5. Keddy

Keddy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So, a bit later than I proably wanted to, but in the last days I again had some time for some further investigations. I have tried things I found in other threads engaging various fps / stuttering problems. Unfortunaltely, none of it did it for me.

As I always have to test about 20mins, it toke some time, to test through all of the potential fixes.
    Nevertheless, I may have an idea, what could cause my problems. Everytime the described lags occur, I notice an increased storage usage by the system process. As the systems writes into the replay file, a constant usage isn't very surprising, but this peak is always the same, when tabbing out directly after the lag. (screenshot below)

I have already checked all disks and turned of "superfetch" and "windows search" in the services, but this didn't change anything. When it comes to CPU and RAM, everything is very smooth and stable. Both are only used by ~60% and the temps are good as well.. (screenshot below)

As I am out of ideas, what to try next, I would be lucky to hear some suggestions from you. As it is only with R3E and I am very busy with study projects (computer science :p), I currently don't want to reinstall my system, which would be my next step.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Disable replays? Not sure of the command line but that will be a temp fix im sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    -disableReplay in the Steam launcher.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Keddy

Keddy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow thanks a lot!!
    It seems to have done the job for me. I only had 45min to test, but as it never took that long before, I am sure R3E now runs stable for longer sessions as well.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will report once again after a longer test session.

9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Glad it worked, it should be permanent, but i would dig a little deeper, personally, i would have to track it down and find a fix, not having the replays to reference would be an issue for me.
    Chipset drivers, check if there are newer off the manufacturer than windows, even if not newer i would give them a try, sata drivers, dx and then gpu in that order if i was going to reinstall them ;) 100% its bandwidth\transfer rate issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bspec_bob

bspec_bob New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was having the same problem after installing Windows 10 anniversary update. The screen would freeze for 3-5 seconds regularly but audio and my wheel were still working, this made it unplayable.

With the anniversary update Microsoft have auto enabled their game recording software GameDVR, after I turned it off everything was running smooth again.

Open Xbox app, Settings (Cog icon bottom left), GameDVR tab and turn it off.

• Informative Informative x 1