So called "discounts".

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krzysztof Volek, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    One of the things that irritates me about Race Room store are those fake discounts that you see all over the place. Good example is Daytona Prototype, which just a few days ago was on a real discount (it cost then around 150 vRP - I can't recall exact value), now it's back to regular 249 vRP, but the store site is trying to convince me, that it's still 68% off and that the regular price is 786 vRP (yeah, right. I payed less for ADAC 2014). Second is DTM '92 - anyone seen it being sold for 2225 vRP (suggested full price) previously?
    Few other suggested full prices are:
    WTCC - 3874 vRP
    Eu Track Pack - 6686 vRP
    Radicals - 1438 vRP (for two cars only)

Why do I write about it? Because I've spoken with few persons about Race Room which were convinced, that content is insanely expensive and due to that reason stayed out of it. I just think that those ridiculous suggested full prices in store apart from trying to make fools of us also create a false opinion about Race Room being very expensive sim, when the true is far from it. Just try to read through few of the comments on Steam, so many people complaining on prices, when R3E is much cheaper than iRacing. What do you guys think about it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    This is a package discount!..
    The full price is based on what you would pay for the car and 11 extra liveries, if you bought them separately.

Same goes for all the other packs.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Krzysztof Volek

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Well, then it's confusing (it seems, that not only for me, but what is more important - for potential newcommers).

4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I think it's pretty clear, and it shows you how much you save on buying the packs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    uh, no, I believe isn't that clear. I also didn't know the reason until today... :D

6. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I think people who think R3E is too expensive, won't change their minds no matter what pricing model is/will be chosen. Everytime people come up with ideas for better pricing models or examples of games that are cheaper. Then there starts a discussion about todays DLC policy in general and what's supposed to be cheap and what's expensive... this discussion leads to nowhere, because no one is changing his position! I think it's up to everyone themselfs, to choose to support a small company that brings a great sim to all of us or not. I'm a guy that gladly donates a couple of Euros to a modder or a small company for the efforts and hard work. I'm happy about all this people and companies that support my hobby and make it a better experience. This is no mainstream hobby, so everything done for it is appreciated. Just my two cents to this pricing discussions.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Should be pretty clear the discounts....it is to me .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well, honestly,what I believe is that 1. in these times (global financial& political chaos) many ppl quickly get "intense" when it is about paying bills, no matter which kind, 2. many folks are indulged & over-saturated by playing /cracking for free (incl. loads of mods for old games like GTR 2 and last not least the tsunami of new titles thrown at us years after year).
    3. to rant,bash and troll seems to be a contemporay Zeitgeist-Phenomenon (connected to 1,) nowadays - mind me to ask who is really happy with his life ?
    I`m surely not a friend of the gaming industry taking over full control of every aspect of the gamers/consumers behaviour (selling it as caretaking of the gamers needs) , but unfortunately these are the times we have to accept to live in (for now :) )...
    And so I better spend my money for some smaller but humble (I believe) Team with a niche production than mindlessly feeding the big players and then complaining about that the small ones take too much money while (allegedly) not coming into terms with their product.
    Or let me say it different: You`ve got a brain : Use it !!

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  9. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    For a fair portion of forum dwellers, I fear this is not the case. :laughing::sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0

In all honesty if you think their pricing is bad go to iracing. It a lot worse

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Krzysztof Volek

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Did you even bother to read my whole post? I was refering to iRacing in it if you haven't noticed. I wasn't saying that pricing is bad, just that it's being presented in confusing manner.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    My fault I'm an idiot!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    RR/S3 are offering a new Hillclimb Pack btw. and by discount (I own most of it) I `ve got the CSI 635 (Great car! Was worth to wait for)with a load of liveries (for the G5 /M1 BMW) for 3,00 €....thats a fair deal compared to a single purchase.
    Maybe before demanding more and more you should at least BUY something (maybe S3 should bring a supercheap VW Beetle 1972 Pack for that purpose :) )....

• Like Like x 2
  14. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,509 / 0 / -0
    An overview of our discount system can be found in the FAQ´s:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Krzysztof Volek

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if you were refering to me, but if so - I own both ADAC 2013 and 2014, WTCC, DTM'92, Radicals pack, and all tracks apart from two, and currently I'm struggling to resist the urge for Hillclimb Pack, but I feel I will be loosing this fight due to test drive in BMW 320 Turbo :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    No Krzysztof, was addressed generally to the usual nay-sayers ;)

17. Edelstahl

Edelstahl Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever played Flightsims? New Planes for DCS World (for example) are expensive... So what? A new Car in real life is expensive... so why people are to churlish to spend a few bucks for a nice made new car for RRRE?

(don´t take this post to serious :) )

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I think @Krzysztof Volek has a point and that is some of these packs are far too expensive to begin with.

If the cost of the undiscounted WTCC pack is correct - 3874 vRP - and I can go to RaceRoom's shop and get 5000 vRP for €34.99 (which is already a bulk buy discount).....well, you can see how that's quite an expensive purchase for a pack that's only a few cars and doesn't contain any WTCC tracks or real series rules. Compare it to the RACE WTCC expansions and you can see how it's poor value.

Want the European track pack as well? That takes it up to over 10,000 vRP, which can be bought for €64.99 on the RR store.

It's expensive.

That's why, as we keep saying, the sensible point of entry into R3E is picking up a DTM or ADAC Experience when they go on sale (either in store or on Steam), acquiring a wealth of tracks and cars on the cheap, then using linked discounts to go from there. Of course, there are always sales on other content and/or the option to buy single cars and tracks (which is poor value in the grand scheme).

In order to get the most mileage out of your money in R3E you have to do your homework. That in itself is a barrier. The newcomer perhaps looks at this sim, thinks it's a rip-off and moves on to one of the competitors products.

First impressions are crucial. R3E presents a great impression on the track. As a sales model, the impression is largely negative.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  19. André Linhares

André Linhares New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    People here compare the prices to iRacing all the time. Thing is, iRacing is a fully functioning game with a large online community.

This game on the other hand is a beta, lacking a lot of key features and a multiplayer that is a very crude alpha, and even then it still has very expensive pricing. And I agree with the OP, the model is a little confusing.

I may be a little harsh here, but I think the devs make a poor job of making it clear for newcomers that this isn't a scam. I, for one, will not buy anything for a game that is in such a crude state.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I can only agree that the discount pricing is confusing, I am not saying its to expensive because that isn't the case.
    The discount tag is just misleading/confusing.

When an item is on a real discount the tag is the same then if the item has a bulk discount.
    And in the real world a bulk discount is not treated as a discount.
    Otherwise every 6-pack, would state you get 1 for free and is on discount, its just common sense if you buy 6 cans its cheaper then if you buy 6x 1.

Just remove the discount tag on packs or change the color to something less screaming.
    Keep the yellow tags for real discounts.

• Agree Agree x 7