steering settings- degrees rotation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jynn, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, I have a T300 using 900 degrees of rotation. I'm a bit confused about what I should be using for default steering settings on a per car basis. for example the corvette gtr3 has default 600 degrees and 13 degrees (or something like that) steering lock. If I change the degrees of rotation to 900 degrees, do I then change the steering lock by the same ratio ie. 600 x 1.3 = 900, so 13 x1.3 = 17 degrees lock.

Or how do you guys do it?

2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I normally leave them at default since S3S has rotation/lock info from teams.

3. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    yeh but then it feels a bit weird because the steering wheel movement on screen is not the same as what your physical wheel is doing. It's not a huge deal, just feels a bit jarring when the onscreen wheel moves faster than what you're turning.

4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If you let the virtual drivers arms, the virtual wheel is limited to 180° rotation. That's why it doesn't rotate as your own wheel.
    Just desactivate the driver arms and the wheel will turn as yours.

But the better solution is to desactivate the virtual wheel, as you already have one in front of you :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I already have arms deactivated. The idea of deactivating the virtual wheel sounds good, but would probably freak my brain out, I'm just too used to seeing an actual wheel.

6. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    your brain should already be freaked out by seeing two different wheel :rolleyes:

Don't worry, your brain will be ok, as it already has your real wheel with you're real hand just in front :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Reinhard Berger

Reinhard Berger Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    hi jynn,

yes, if you will exactly have same steering as default but with 900°, then like you did already write in 1st post, only calculate to 900°, but you must calculate with 1.5x (not 1.3 like you write), so 13x1.5 =19.5

so 900° with 19.5 = 600° with 13 , so both identical sensible? (or whatever is english name).

but for me, 13° with 600° is to slow wheel move, i do make around 30-33° for 900° with new update too.

8. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'll give my brain a stern talking to and give it a go, no excuses from it will be accepted.

9. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    @richard thanks for the correction, wow doing Maths seems like such a long time ago. ;)

10. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    This is a topic that's overly complicated because of the implementation of steering lock by R3E.

In the Logitech profiler, you need to make sure that you have "enable game to override settings" checked. I don't know what the Thrustmaster equivalent is for this, but having it checked means that R3E will automatically adjust your steering range to use whatever you have set up in the car setup menu. If for example you drive a car with a 450 degree lock, your real life wheel will be locked to 450 degrees.

Doing the above means that your real life wheel will always match the car's simulated wheel.

However, that does not mean that the visual wheel that you see in the cockpit will line up. For reasons that I don't understand, the visual steering wheel is controlled by a setting completely independent of the car setup wheel lock setting. Whenever you get into a car, if you want the visual wheel to match your real life wheel, you need to go into Vehicle Settings, turn off driver hands, and set the visual wheel rotation to match the car's setup page.

Doing all of that together means you'll have 1:1 alignment between your real life wheel, the simulated wheel, and the visual cockpit wheel.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I have a G25, logitech profiler off (also in trie bar) , R3E set the right rotation of G25 for each car, I have to change manually the visual rotation in the monitor and eventually the right in game profiler (H SEQ PAD)

12. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Your brain is incredibly adaptable. It might seem strange at first (did to me when I made the move from Gran Turismo where there's no option to turn the arms/wheel off) and it might take a day or five to fully adapt to it, but once you have you'll wonder how you ever drove with that stuff on your screen and if you turn them back on then your brain will really freak out.

13. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info Why 485, I will try your method.

14. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    le_poilo your suggestion of removing steering wheel is a revelation to me. My brain put up a bit of a fight, but after a brief scuffle grudgingly started accepting it and then started actually really liking it! So much so in fact I've applied it to Iracing and AC too. It allows one to move the camera much closer to the dashboard which makes one feel much closer and more connected to the road.
    So thanks man!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  16. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the world of immersion! ;)