Steering setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taholmes160, Jun 10, 2024.

1. taholmes160

taholmes160 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    HI Folks:

I am running a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals set, and I like it, only problem right now is the wheel is small -- like 10 inches or so, so every little movement I make gets magnified in the wheels of the car -- when I was in iRacing, there was a setting called damping that helped to settle out those little movements, also helped smooth out larger movements keeping me from being jerky. I'm looking for a similar setting here in Raceroom. Can anyone help -- also if there is info in the car settings etc. that would help with it please let me know. The ideal solution is to replace the wheel and pedal set with something better, but currently unable to work and waiting on disability, that's not realistic right now, so I'm looking for other options.

Thanks
    TIM

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    There is, or was, an unintended interaction between settings. Analog sector 1, 2, 3 (maybe Return Multiplier too) settings were created for gamepads to do just that - dampen the axis signal so that your jerky movement of the stick doesn't directly translate to jerky movement of the car steering.

The smaller the number, the more dampening you have. But if you drop down the Analog sector 1 to 0%, all these setting stop applying (Analog sector 1, 2, 3 and Return Multiplier) and you get raw input without any damping.

Try this out and tell me if it still works. Then maybe devs will want to keep these settings in the for cases like yours.

There are other ways to make the steering less jerky, but they are different and don't work as damping. These are: increasing Steering angle (either on the car setup page or, if it doesn't work for your wheel, in Logitech software) or decreasing Steering lock (on the car setup page) - with this, you will need to turn the wheel more to get the same steering as before; decreasing Steering sensitivity or increasing Steering curve exponent - this affects steering linearity, steering will be slower around the center (also FFB will probably be weaker) and faster on bigger steering angles (also FFB will probably be stronger).

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    hes on a wheel / the analogue sectors shouldnt work / should be ignored by game
    there is a dampening slider 0-100 in the ffb settings

can you post a screenshot of your ingame ffb settings and any logitech settings @taholmes160

Andi

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    They shouldn't but they do, as it was discovered last year. I don't know if it was fixed since then, so worth trying, it's exactly what he needs.

There is no dampening in the in-game settings. There's stationary friction that uses your wheel's damping effects, but this is not what he's looking for.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  5. taholmes160

taholmes160 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great -- thanks guys -- I'll have a look at it later today!

TIM