The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Well I was racing PCars on the PS4, before I discovered Raceroom and started to use my PC for something else then photo editing and flightsim. With a TM wheel, TP3A pro pedals and the TH8 shifter I would not call it "arcade", especially as developing a good setup in pCars on the PS4 was a far more complex task than the simplified setups we have here in R3E. So no need to hold the nose that high over the "console arcade racer community"

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    And that is what you learn and want to share while looking at this release trailer ? ".. this kind of driving realism..." ? Where did you see that ?

Having raced on consoles in GT5-6 and pCars for several thousands of hours, then switching to PC with pCars, R3E and AC, the last one was the least impressive to me. Above that I have had more bugs, issues and inconveniences (and still have) while playing for about 270 hrs AC, than in all other titles combined. I don't have a clue how the console version will be, and I guess you don't either, until it is released and can be tried out.
    As AC is now, I would/will never recommend it to my friends that are on consoles (not using controllers). I'd suggest them buying a PC and give R3E a try (since they are all keen on racing instead of just driving).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Sigh.

I have over 800 hours in AC on PC, is that good enough to allow me an assessment of it?

I just recently picked up a PS4 also, only because it was hilariously cheap more or less, and caught me on the wrong foot. I do not really need or use it. In summer sales, I got Project Cars for it, again cheaper than a cheap joke.

Complex physics simulation and wheel usage here, driving on rails and rubber tracks and gamepad there. The difference must not seriously be put into question. ;)

20 years ago or so I played NFS 3 and 4 on PS1. :D

For gamepad, and console standards so far, PC actually is a good arcade racer, I'd say, and they seem to have patched out the AI that was in a terrible, absolutely terrible state at release (I played that once on another guy's PC at release, but had enough of that nonsense after some minutes. On PS4 now, with gamepad, it reminds of something like Wipeout or Trackmania. Nice be-faster-than-the-other-guy entertainment. Just nothing worth to be referred to as "driving simulator". With gamepads, there is no thing like "simulating the driving".

Heck, with only a gamepad I expect even AC to be not more than an arcade racer on console. C'mon, driving simulation -without a wheel...? Cant get any more absurd.

With wheel, it may change, but there is no precedent for the AC physics on consoles. And most console racers do not have wheels. Its different than on PC.

And thats why I think that the majority of console players who do not race on PC, and use gamepads and the ordinary console racing titles, indeed do not really know what is about to hit them. :D Good for them - the first surprise is always the best one!

4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    And this is just in, once again Kunos' Marco Massarutto replying to criticism by some people that the console version of AC is only about to water down the standard of AC on PC. The same was said already last Christmas time, and before. I wish people would finally trust them a little bit more - and let them do the work. All people who were allowed to test the console version since Spring this year confirmed that thy felt practically no difference in driving between the console and the PC version. None.

With wheels, of course. :D

5. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agreed on the gamepad/wheel story.
    But since you have a PS4: go take a look at the pCars TT leaderboards and see how many controllers are used and how many wheels.
    The "occasional" console racer might not have a wheel but almost all dedicated console racers are using wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexander Dornieden

Alexander Dornieden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Preparing for the GTC by Virtual Racing at Redbullring which is the first race in the calender. Was a decent lap but i need to improve my setup and my driving style to be more competitive.
    Feel free to give me some tipps and adjustments.
    Hope you enjoy ;)

7. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    If pCars on the PS4 is like driving on rails for you, I suggest you raise the realism level. Never read such an arrogant nonsense - sorry. Obviously you hate consoles or think you are something better as a PC gamer, get to know your PS4 titles, before you judge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I think a hardcore racer, regardless of platform, would have a wheel.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its difficult for you to accept that others may not share your opinion on something, eh? But that is no excuse to fall back to such an aggressive, haughty tone. If you read carefully, you will see that I admitted that I think the game has been improved since its first release (on PC), and that for gamepad-console-standards I consider it to be a very good title indeed. But to me it is no serious driving sim, sorry. Now live with that differing view of mine - without offending me.

Its just that it does not compare, physics wise, to RR or AC, probably also Automobilista (which I do not have used, but I used GSCE), too. It is simplified, and very fundamentally so. It lacks the subtle nuances. That does not mean one could not have big fun with it. Long time ago I had fun with stuff like Ridge Racer and Need for Speed 3 and 4. That were good, entertaining racing games. Wipeout was also good and entertaining. Physics are just this in Project Cars: simplified, compared to other, more hardcore oriented sims. And I use the serious physics settings in it for sure. I would say that also Dirt Rally has more convincing physics, except maybe on ice, and snowy tarmac. The transition of car attitudes, or weight shifts, and loosing or winning grip, is MUCH more snappy and abruptly in PC, than in any other of these driving titles. I did it with gamepad on PS4, but I also did it with a wheel on PC. And back then, on PC platform, it was even more extreme trailing behind in both AI and physics.

And now calm down your temper a bit. And enjoy the drive of your choice.

10. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    @Skybird
    After that being pointed out to me, I thought this topic was going to be about AC. So why do you keep picking on pCars all the time, over and over again ? You made it very clear YOU don't like it (that is your loss btw), both others do.
    But since we are at it, not liking pCars is one thing, that is your privilege, but please stop talking about simplified physics and arcade feel and things like that.
    It is getting a bit boring now.
    I said it before and I will repeat once again: if the feeling in pCArs is not good, that only means you have never tried it with a decent FFB setup. It may be too difficult and have too many sliders for most people, but there are very good tools to help you out.
    pCars is as much a sim as AC, imo a lot better on almost all points, certainly graphics and the way they are handled by the game. In the same conditions - track/cars/number of oppenents - the graphically and visually much better pCars has a much higher fps count than AC. KUNOS promised some improvements on this in the next patch, which means they know they are on the wrong path.
    Losing or winning grip too snappy and abrupt in pCars ? Ever driven a race car on slicks on track ? It drives like that: as soon as the tire temp is right, these cars have MASSIVE grip level, but push it a little bit harder and you'll loose the car, because all grip is gone, at once. That does not count for cars on road tires and you will notice that has been simulated very well in pCars.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Because Rudi adopted an aggressive tone that I did not take well, so I gave a more detailed explanation for what I think about PC - and why.

Even you did not read me correctly. You say above that I "don't like it", which is not true. I clearly said that I think PC has been improved since release, and that I think that it is a very good console racer, and that oen can have good fun with it. I said that twice, or where it even three times ?! I also said that wheel steering and gamepad steering do not compare, or didn't I? But I stick to it: compared to other titles, the physics in PC, no matter on what platform, imo are much simplified. They do not make that much sense at times for themselves, they do not convince me as being "realistic", and they do not win either when comparing them to certain other titles. Its nice you like PC, and I wish you good fun with it. I say its a good console racer - but not of that technical and physics fidelity like some others. I have seen that kind of physics behaviour before, with older games, games that I enjoyed back then, but that I would not rate as simulations. I will have fun with Project cars on PS4, too - but on much rarer occasions, and probably for other reasons and with another perception of it all than you. It cannot get any simpler than this.

And now relax everybody. ;) Nothing I said that justifies this row. :)

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The list of wheels officially supported on PS4 and XBox has been released.

To many players' great disappointment, the ongoing legal disputes with Sony Monolith regarding wheel licensing in general, prevent Kunos from giving support to Fanatec wheels on PS4. This is a move that Sony has directed not just against Kunos, but many other titles/companies as well.

Sony's reputation will suffer even more from this.

Thrustmaster does well on the PS4, also the G29 gets software-supported.

On XBox, many wheels by both Thustmaster and Fanatec are supported, plus the G29.

13. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Nope, wouldnt say that is the problem with Pcars FFB. Obfuscating ease of use by having a million sliders is not the way to go. And as such, more sliders does not inherently mean better. It simply means... well... more.

People criticize R3E's many sliders and I agree they do have a lot... but they all have a purpose. Pcars has just about double, with many that make zero sense and have little affect. Not to mention their FFB settings are in 3 different menus in entirely different areas of the game. (controller settings, FFB settings, and car setup)

Personally, Pcars FFB is flawed at the fundamental level. The design philosophy of SMS with what they want you to feel while driving. Imo, it cannot be improved because it is heavily flawed and simply does not provide the same feedback and sensations other games offer. Every single tweak I have tried from 'the experts' have been for naught. They cant make you feel what isnt there.

Highly subjective there. :p You will find very few people that arent invested in Pcars (being paid to say nice things about the game) say that the driving feeling in Pcars is better than AC. Which is what matters most in a driving game right? Of course, this too is only grounds for arguments. So I wont instigate any further.

Hmm, not exactly equal comparisons. Pcars AI is vastly more simplified than AC's, since AC's uses the players physics model. Afaik, they are the only game that does this. So AI load in AC is quite heavy.

With 0 AI opponents, fps in both games can be rather high. If you dont use Pcars insane super-super sampling AA, and if you dont use AC's massive reflection settings, you can both obtain fps that is solid. Neither game performs better than the other I feel.

Anyways, for @Skybird... You should write your diatribes on Race Dept. If for no other reason than they would provide an immense amount of entertainment :D

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    No argument there. They could/should probably do with a lot less sliders.

Not important for me. I go on my own feelings, what I feel is best and closest to what I know/feel.

Test both on the "ideal" settings that NVIDIA provides (not saying these settings are the best choice, but just to see).
    In almost any condition pCars fps count has an advantage of 20-30 fps over AC's, sometimes more. And that is with or without AI on track. I once had (don't remember which track, could have been a mod track), driving on my own, a whopping 39 fps !!
    In pCars, rain, night/day race, 36 cars, whatever track, I never go below 58...
    Regardless what people may say, these are my own findings...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    @Fanapryde I agree with you. I used to hate CARS, event hough I did invest in it and got some money from my investment (enough to pay for the DLCs at least), but the game overall was mostly a huge disappointment to me, but I did try it out this month and most of the issues I had with it, seem fixed (no bugs here at all). With that in mind, simulation value aside, I find CARS overall a better game than Assetto Corsa - it runs better, has more features, supports Crew Chief (yay!) and IMHO has pretty good AI. Maybe not the kind of AI that veteran simracers would expect, but it is very enjoyable and entertaining, unlike Assetto's robots with inhuman skills (and stability assists on).

As for the the handling and FFB. Let's face it, all you need to do is try to drift in CARS to find out that something is very wrong here. But as far as just racing goes, it's pretty ok. Easier than rFactor 2 and Automobilista and easier than Assetto, but in most situations, cars handle like they should. The FFB is another thing, I use the tweaker files with all the bells and whistles and except for some cars (damn Lotus 49) it feels quite good, I'd say almost as good as what I have in Raceroom. Maybe you don't get all the feels that the FFB in Assetto gives, but at the same time, Assetto has a very loose wheel around the center in a lot of cars (the older ones mostly) and no minimal force, or LUT file can solve that. Another more important issue is the weird lag when you start going sideways - in Assetto, you have to anticipate the spin a bit and the notion of regaining grip is also very light. So as far as feelios go, it's all good, but not very functional when things go south, unless you have a lot of experience. That problem is not present in Project CARS the wheel starts spinning instantly when you go all Tokyo into a corner and the moment when you should hold it and start to center the wheel again is also very clearly felt. Same as in Raceroom, same as in AMS and RF2. So probably, people who focus more on functionality of the FFB and have good settings, are going to say CARS is better here.

Coming back to Assetto's framerates again, I am going to say this - the problem Kunos has, are the shaders. You can have really huge FPS when you go without post-processing even with a lot of AI cars on track (one exception is crashes, sometimes when crazy things happen, I get a warning about 99% CPU utilization and FPS drop like a rock). However, when you use post-processing and for example some custom shaders and weather files, it can drop even with a single car on track. Try the brilliant Good and Bad Weather mod by Peter Boese - some presets look just stunning, but the FPS takes a huge hit and it's not like you see sharper textures or some bells and whistles that are not in Kunos' shaders - it's the light. You ever wondered why Assetto is limited to only one light source?

• Like Like x 1
  16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That's a bit unfair to say. If you were able to play Pcars with custom weather and post processing, you would similarly see a pretty big hit to performance. For anyone that has dug in the .ini files of the pp filters and edited or tried to make their own from scratch, you will know that there are a lot of settings that provide a huge fps hit for little gain. Lots of AA options on things that dont matter for instance. Quality of glare, and other things like this. It would be like making a custom Sweet FX filter for a game. Some have a small impact, and others have big impacts. When using the stock ones, there is certainly a hit over going without, but that is to be expected...

Because they envisioned making a game with 5 tracks and 15 cars that was solely used for driving during the daytime because that is what people use 95% of the time? :p Of course their vision expanded greatly, as did their studio size. I suppose not everyone knows they started off with something like 5 people working on the game.

On these notes about appearance though.. One thing bothers me a bit. Why in the world did they change the weather so drastically from their previous game, NetKar Pro? I replay that every so often, and the skyboxes in that game are gorgeous. None of this junky fake clouds that look nothing more than a collection of dots in the sky. Clouds look authentic, the light looks crisp... It's really weird that they changed it so much. :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Well, I can't really argue since I don't / can't drift in any sim, Apart from having some sideways "fun" in a couple of cars around specific corners, the only reaction I have is to immediately correct if the car steps out. I could not score better than bronze (one lucky silver) in GT's drift events and the only reason that I tried to complete them was to get the Platinium trophy. Since then I simply disregard the whole drifting.
    Give me certain cars (the Caterham for instance) and I'll drift through Silverstones Luffield corner each time without problems, even better in the wet. This "drifting" may not score high on GT's ranking, but it goes sideways enough for me to call it that way.
    In AC I can't manage that (here the Caterham is a mod car).

Oh yes, the 99% thing. It happens not every day, but I get that rather frequently. Read about it on the AC forum and decided just to ignore the issue. They will probably mark it as "as designed" or "no issue" sooner or later :D
    The reason I never started using the weather mods is exactly what you describe. It confirms what I read about it and though I would to try it out, I never did until this moment. FPS in AC is bad enough as it is.
    If I use NVIDIA ideal settings, FPS is even worse, so I allready moved several sliders down a notch, while in pCars I have them at ultra. Being a bit of a sucker for "eye candy", pCars keeps amazing me. One thing though (before we switch this topic to a pCars topic), the interior (cockpit) view in a few cars is too dark and for some reason SMS is not very keen on changing it (though it as been reported dozens of times). The BMW Z4 suffers a lot, just change to whatever other cam to see the huge difference.

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    For PS4 and XBox owners, the countdown keeps ticking down.

Link - PREVIEW by TeamVVV

Banked Monza - Nascar Oval on steroids. :D

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I just got hold of a used DK2 (All my current budget and pc will handle for the moment)
    And was going to try out AC in VR, but how do you do that?
    In Steam VR I only have an option to play it in the Salon mode.. (Where it's like you're sitting in a theatre and playing the game on the big screen)

20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I think you might have to go into the games graphics settings and switch it from full screen rendering, to oculus rendering.

In any case, I think there is an option in there for VR. Unless you already tried that... then it's beyond me. :p