Resolved Throttle, Brake mapping for Logitech F710 Rumblepad

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Actually James, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Actually James

Actually James New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The problem

For anyone using the Logitech F710, I am sure you may have experienced the same frustration as I have with the mappings of the left and right triggers. I use these for brake and throttle and on the most recent builds of RRE have always had the constant issue of both throttle and brake reaching 100% at about half the travel of the analogue triggers total range of movement.

This is quite annoying since ideally I wanted to have 100% mapped to the point where the triggers both hit the stops at the trigger's max travel, giving me the entire range of the triggers to modulate throttle and brake.

As it is out of the box, this wasn't the case and I had to use tricks like placing my middle finger underneath the trigger to sort of create a stop roughly where the throttle hit 100% in about the middle of the range. But this was far from accurate or ideal.

I'd looked and looked for others with the same problem and what they had done to fix it, but after trying things like removing the controller set .rcs file and restarting the game, the problem always came back.

Finally I solved it. By editing the .rcs file

It turns out that RRE applies an assumption to all the analogue axes of the controller that they have a 'center' value of 0.5. What I imagine this means is that on the thumb joysticks, the range of each axis goes from 0.0 to 1.0, 0.5 is dead center for the joystick on each axis. But this is NOT the case for the triggers. More annoyingly, the RRE controller options menu doesn't show that there is a 'centre' value, and doesn't allow in game mapping or adjustment of individual axes. So unless you know this, you've got no way of fixing it.

How to fix it
    Your .rcs file lives in the following location

Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet\

You may have more than one depending on the controller you have.

At the bottom of the file, past all the FFB (Force FeedBack) adjustment values, you'll come to the axes of your controller and their associated values for tuning. You'll notice, if you have the same problem as I did, that they all have a 'center' value of 0.5.

You'll need to locate the two axes of the left and right triggers (if you've used these for throttle and brake). This is hard because they're not labelled as such, they just have numbers 0-7 for each of the analogue axes on the controller (which is weird since I only count 6 on my controller, but apparently there are 8 of them?).

You can easily get around this problem by opening RRE, and then making an adjustment to the throttle and brake sensitivity, I moved the sensitivity to 0.58. Then I opened my .rcs file, and saw that the sensitivity values for the two axes used for throttle and brake had changed to 0.58, so now I know which axes I have to edit.

I then changed the 'center' value to 0.0. This makes sense since these triggers have no 'center' like a joystick. They are setup to be at 0.0 with no pressure applied to them, quite unlike the joysticks which have a resting, or 'center' value of 0.5 because the joystick sits in this position with no pressure applied to it.

After changing the center values to 0.0 and restarting the game, both throttle and brake now reach 100% when the their corresponding triggers on the controller hit their max travel. This is wonderful! The cars are now much easier to control :D

Having the total range of each analogue trigger for braking and throttle allows for much finer control over the car and its made racing far more pleasant. I might have even had some faster lap times since.... maybe :)

I hope this helps you if you're in the same position, or even if you have a different controller, maybe a wheel even, its worth checking these values for each axis of your wheel, pedals to make sure RRE hasn't applied the same assumption to an axis that shouldn't have a 'center' value other than 0.0 its sure to be a real pain, especially if you've spent $$ on it just to play the game.

See you on track :)

• Informative Informative x 2