What are the ranked server rules where do I find them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GregoryLeo, Dec 13, 2020.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    After years of doing only single player racing for a number of reasons not worth listing here, I decided to try the ranked player servers.
    Of course I have to start at the bottom which makes sense. My first race went ok, only two people on the track and I finished second. But on my second race, me and four other guys were the only ones to qualify. I was thinking "Bummer I was hoping for a few more racers" But when the race started there were suddenly 8 players on the track. And the guys at the back were way faster than everyone else. So I went from 5th to 7th in the first lap. But then on the last lap the two guys at the front who had started at the back, and were about 30 seconds ahead of me were now 15 second behind me and I finished 5th. My rating went down 3.2 and my rep up .4. I did have significantly higher incidents in the second race I was pushing harder and so made more mistakes.
    Anyway I wasn't well impressed with the idea that someone could sit out the qly session to get a better rating. Or am I mistaken? Seems kind of chicken shit too me.
    So as in the title where do I find the rules so I can decide if I want to pursue multiplayer?

2. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Hm, not entirely sure what you're referring to as "rules". Also, note that you're starting (exactly) in the middle, not at the bottom when it comes to rating! https://game.raceroom.com/multiplayer-rating/

The rating isn't based on qualification & race results, only race results and previous race results. So if someone decides to skip qualification for whatever reason, if they want to keep their rating, they'll have to finish in the "predicted" position based on their previous races. If you only have done a few races, the system can fluctuate a little until a baseline has been set. It takes roughly 20 races.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. At least I have some of what I’m getting into. Still on the fence about this. Seems kinda like an old mobile app I used to play where you had to keep playing to maintain your score. I don’t know that I will have the consistency to keep a decent rating. :oops:
    One of my problems is our crap internet that will cut out for one or two seconds for no reason without warning a LOT throughout the day, which could easily be seen as rage quiting:mad: Which is the main reason I don’t do multiplayer o_O
    Anyway, thanks again for the info. Makes a bit more sense now.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020