Zandvoort will not load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbond1, May 31, 2024.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,042 / 0 / -0
    Do you have an SSD available to test moving the game there?

The fact that it is only Zandvoort makes me wonder why... Could it be that zandvoort files are located on some bad sector of your drive?

Maybe you could try running Windows' Resource monitor while it loads, then you can see in real time the disk access that the game is doing, and see if it is actually doing anything at all while you are stuck on that loading screen.

If you can do that test of loading one track, then back to main menu, then load zandvoort and let it sit for 15 minutes while looking at resource monitor, then send me the game.log, that'll be nice.

2. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I could narrowly stuff RR's 61 GB in to my nearly full OS drive. I will save that for all else fails time. The download would be long, and then again to put it back on the other drive afterwards. I assume I cannot have it installed on two drives at the same time?

Thank you for helping. I can run that test yes. The poor man's resource monitor is the power button on the PC, which flashes blue and red when there is hard disk activity, and that was solid as I looked at it. But I can see what resource monitor has to say.

Occupying a dead sector does seem a reasonable guess. But then deleting and recovering the files, as I tried, might have shifted location? Yeah, I don't know how that works. Apologies if it takes a bit to get back to you on this.

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Upd: Ignore my comment, better do what FanFan said, it would be much easier and will probably take the same time anyway.

-----
    You can't, but you don't need to download the game again to install it on a different disk, you can copy the files manually.

I'm not sure what procedure you should take in your case, but this is what I would try.

1) Create a new Steam library on your SSD disk, call it, for example, "C:\Steam Library".
    2) Copy Raceroom files to this path: "C:\Steam Library\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience". It's the same folder structure as on your main Steam installation disk.
    3) Rename Raceroom folder on your main Steam disk (the path might look like "Steam\steamapps\common") to "raceroom racing experience - backup", for example.
    4) Tell Steam to uninstall the game. Since you renamed to folder, the files will be intact, but Steam will think the game is uninstalled.
    5) Tell Steam to install the game, and when selecting where to install it, select the library that you created on step 1. Steam will scan the Raceroom folder that you put there manually, find and verify the files and won't download anything because all the files are already there.

When you want to get back to using your main Steam disk again, uninstall the game, rename the backup folder from step 3 back to "raceroom racing experience" and ask Steam to install the game on your main Steam disk. As before, Steam will scan the folder, find and verify the files and won't download anything.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
  4. FanFan

FanFan New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi, you can do that too if it helps. From the Steam client, navigate to the “Steam” menu, then “Settings”. Go to the “Storage” tab. Select the drive where the games you want to move are stored. Select the games to move then click “Move”.

Sincerely

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    In this case the files will be copied twice, first to the new location, then to the old location. If you do it how I described, you will only need to copy it once. Although thinking about it, it might not be faster in the end, since Steam will need to verify files two times, and that is not a fast process either.

Yeah, I think it's better to do how you said.

6. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run scandisk and see what happens. And eventually I'll swap drives if it comes to that. Zandvoort is a great track, one of my favorites, but it's just one track. Would prefer to be able to drive there.

I ran the test J-F Chardon had asked for. I loaded up RR and chose leaderboard challenge in a Formula 3 at Mid-Ohio Full. That loaded as expected. Went back to menu, and loaded leaderboard challenge in Formula 3 at Zandvoort GP and let it run for 15 minutes, before alt-tabbing and killing the process through "Stop" on Steam library.

I had resource monitor running and hard disk transfer rate spiked a few times in the first 30 seconds after it started to load and then flatlined

Here's the log. Thanks again for your interest. Oops forgot the log

Attached Files:

7. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Not ruling anything out at this point, more like thinking out loud...

If the suggestions to swap drive is because performance may be suspected, then I don't think that's it. If it's because the Zandvoort folder might sit on damaged clusters then yes that might be. If performance were the issue other tracks would figure to suffer in the same way, wouldn't they? The drive is a Seagate Barracuda. Not the cutting edge, but 7200 RPM, and otherwise seems to perform well. Other tracks load snappy enough

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any anti-virus or cloud-save software? Or anything that can interfere with reading data from a disk.

9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    can you run zandvoort in sp mode / practice / race ?

Andi

10. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    All modes fail to load, on each layout too.

11. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    J-F Chardon, have you had a chance to have a look at the last log? Any conclusions?

12. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Seems this one has run out of gas just before the finish line. Well, if anything comes of it, please PM me so I don't miss it. Someone looked at the file it appears. If it was you J-F Chardon please share your thoughts if you get a chance.

13. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    One more go at it, just in case perhaps you've forgotten of this thread. I was asked to run a test and post the log, which I have done. Did you have a chance to look it over? Did it reveal anything? Any ideas how I can get Zandvoort to load? If this post gets no traction then I'll let it go and not keep spamming the forum looking for answers.

14. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry, he will look at the log sooner or later.

15. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,042 / 0 / -0
    So, we just have no clue what's up, sorry - Have you tried moving the game to an SSD or just another disk?

16. dbond1

dbond1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No, thanks for having a look.