Locking Camera to Horizon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bailey Lagstrum, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    It's just impossible to simulate it 100% properly, as our brain has nothing to cling to when it's beeing presented with shaky vision, especially lots of high frequency jitter without simultaneous info from inner ear to compensate it properly, that it gets while driving real race car. Therefore it is better to stabilise outside view even 100% than leave it like it is now causing one hell of the eye fatigue (at least for me) and ruining the whole experience. Try to research info on the subject, speed with which our eyeballs (not only our neck) are able to compensate jittering vision is impressive, and has nothing to do with the way it's beeing presented to us in majority of simracing games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Now gang, what ole Fairman isn't telling you is he doesn't drive above the speed limit, hence the movement is minor and doesn't bother him. It's too be expected though, it's hard on geriatrics. :p

Bailey

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Hahaa! Well with my pimped Rollator I barely get faster than 15 Km/h but the suspension is not stiff enough...so I had to do something to get the experience more thrilling :)
    Well that put aside I noticed that with a value of 1.00000000 0.00000000 1.00000000 the Lock-to-Horizon Effect is already there - which for some might be a good compromise....I personally stick to the default setting (cockpit movement at 65 btw)

4. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for removing the dust from this old thread:p but i'm coming from the ideas-and-suggestions-thread where the head-movement-thing came up again.

So i have 2 questions about the XML editing.
    Do i have to restart R3E after editing the XML to see the changes, or is it sufficient to return to main menu and then simply load the session again?
    And how do the cockpit movement buttons influence the XML parameters. Should i set cockpit movement to 0 or 100, when adjusting the "orientationSpeed type" parameter?

5. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @Ernie

1. Unfortunately you have to quit and restart the game every time you make a change to the XML files. It's a process of trial and error but worth it.

2. The in-game cockpit movement is a separate thing and works in tandem with these XML tweaks. The in-game cockpit movement deals with g-force effects of accelerating, braking, bumps etc. I leave cockpit movement at zero as I don't want these effects.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Fortunately you're wrong. You just have to exit the session you're in (race, training, etc.) and go to the main menu. If you change the camera files while in there and then start another session the change will take effect (because the cam files only get loaded once you start a session).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    +1
    This is what I did when I was experimenting to get the best feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure I tried that and it didn't work. Happy (and thankful) to be corrected.

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Assumed that, so it made me think if it might have something to do with the way one starts steam/R3E (admin mode)? Shouldn't make a difference but for me it definitely worked.

10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    This is nice, thanks.
    If you drive bonnet/hood view and are struggling to get this to work look at the xml file for the car in the cameras folder.
    It will be called something like Bmw_320_Turbo.xml

<noseCamera type="string"><![CDATA[/Cars/audi_r8_lms_ultra/Cameras/hood_pivot]]></noseCamera>
    <hoodCamera type="string"><![CDATA[/Cars/audi_r8_lms_ultra/Cameras/nose_pivot]]></hoodCamera>

You either need to edit them two lines to reflect the correct cam file or edit the nose_pivot file.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  11. Swir80PL

Swir80PL New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Option to reduce horizon shake would be great. For me excessive shake is one of the most annoying things in simracing atm. I noticed it doesn't bother me at all if I compromise on FOV and use 1 screen, but when trying to get true to life FOV across 3 screens the shake eventually becomes unbearable to my eyes. It always gets through 3 stages for me:
    1. Initial wtf, can't see anything.
    2. slowly getting used to shake
    3. Eye fatigue.
    The third one comes to soon unfortunately :/

Lock to horizon would help, but I'm not big fun of it either as it doesn't do the job very well with big elevation changes. iRacing cockpit view is my favourite.

12. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Referring to the video posted, it's not particularly realistic having the car flip around you while the horizon stays horizontal either... I'd bet you wouldn't be able to keep your eyes levelled like that in real car... ;)

So, like many other aspects of a simulation, it all boils down to a compromise of technical realism and recreating the feeling of driving a car. And we are all different in which elements we want to compromise in order to get that "right feeling".

I like something in between a fixed cockpit camera and locked horizon, which I think the current "cockpit camera movement" adjustments cover just fine. But that's just me.

Absolutetly. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    As long as we have options to please all, as imo realism is in that very matter not important. It's a game, I want to have it convenient, and with tripples the shaking is a real issue (just like movement is a problem for VR). The discontinuity of what we perceive and should sense is just too big.

14. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0

I think the comon term for it is, car sickness same effect as when you look out the side window to long you get nausea, the ability to focus on a fixed point in the horizon when driving prevent that yes. so I agree would be a welcome seting in R3E :D
    Edit: and look to apex %

15. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Just found this thread and was happy because this has bugged me since my first drive of RRRE about 2 weeks ago.

The jumpy horizon makes me feel very ill very quickly, especially on the Formula2 cars where even with camera cockpit movement at zero it jumps around like crazy ! Real ? Virtually Real ? don't know and don't care but I definitely want the option to change this myself without having to do it on a per car basis via a text file.

So would like to ask/request has this been implemented as a change in the upcoming big patch ... if not will someone please tell us when we might expect this ?

Sorry to sound demanding, I don't mean to, but this really should not be a big issue and one easily sorted, shouldn't it ?

It may not be a top priority but relatively it should be, as nobody likes feeling dizzy or disorientated driving a sim - I get enough of that from the wife when she is ordering me around on a weekend to fix this, fix that, do this, wash the dog, clean the bins ... blah ! blah ! blah ! :eek:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    AfaIk lock to horizon isn't gonna be in the patch, and I'm not sure there will be any change in that regard in the very near future.

Have you checked out the camera movement setting that's already in the game?
    You have to assign two buttons/keys in the controller options (it should be called smth like camera movement) and it will let you change the way the camera interacts with the cars body and the surrounding. It's 0-100 and higher values equal more body/head movement, lower values kinda "fix" the camera to the body and result in more world movement I think. I found a setting of 50 to work pretty good for me now. Not perfect, but better.

So maybe playing around with this setting and trying different values can at least improve your experience.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  17. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah no worries mate, thanks.:) I will just continue those edits per car - I already have cam movement assigned to adjust but the txt file edits are still needed. It made a huge difference because prior to editing I could not drive the Formula2 at all without motion sickness.:confused:

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Note that you should be ok to simply make those edits in one camera file and then c&p that file into the other cars folders. The files are identical for all cars afaik.
    If you've made those edits the in-game setting will still determine the strength of the cars body movement, higher value = more body movement and vice versa.
    Here's the edits I've done a while ago, it reduces the world movement greatly but still allows the horizon to shake on really heavy bumps:

<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{35.00000000 77.00000000 5.00000000}</orientationSpeed>

It's the first value that determines the lock to horizon. Higher values allow for more world movement, anything below 30 will basically mean the horizon is locked. I like it between 35 and 40, which results in greatly reduced but still some world shaking.

• Like Like x 2
  19. pinor27

pinor27 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I tried this combination, with set minimum cockpit vibrations from the menu' game, for my feelings is an ideal compromise:

<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{30.00000000 50.00000000 40.00000000}</orientationSpeed>

probably you know but I use this software Textcrawler( free version), useful to change all the files.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Indeed! Here's a link to the software I used (fnr/find and replace), replaced all of them at the same time so it was quick and painless.
    [​IMG]
    Editing orientationSpeed made all the difference, happy to be back enjoying RR! :)
    B

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1