Locking Camera to Horizon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bailey Lagstrum, Feb 17, 2015.

1. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Well, i've beeng driving around R3E a bit more this last few days and I hope all this bounciness goes away soon. R3E has come a long way these last builds but the strain on my eyes is too much let alone the "motion sickness" feel.

I've found my way to the configurable keys in the advance menu but both spring and motion don't seem to do much. Actually, the spring keys don't even show a value like the cockpit motion. Bug?

2. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I tried to participate in the Merc DTM at Zolder competition and that track took a toll on me.
    Some tracks don't bother me nearly as much obviously but I would love it if this (lock to horizon( becomes a reality so I could jump in with both feet.
    B

3. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately last patch still didn't broght us any resolve to this. Lately I tried to adjust my FOV to make it more realistic (I didn't care much for the FOV before). With theese new FOV setting (0,5x according to calculator) I'm simply unable to drive. I don't understand why are we given option for decreasing cockpit movement, but no option for decreasing (or better disabling) horizon movement. Come on guys, it really is gamebraking for some of us, and not because we choose to whine about it but because it gives us nausea.

4. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I stumbled across something that should be good news for people waiting on a lock-to-horizon setting.

There was a very helpful post over on RD a few days ago regarding a text file tweak that gives you lock-to-horizon in cockpit view and I would urge everybody to follow his advice. Sadly it's on a per car basis so a lot of editing to get this working for all cars, but it's worthwhile. Here's the post:

Enable Cockpit movement!!

I've just tried it and it works a treat. So many thanks to the poster called VeloW. Not sure if he's a member here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. pinor27

pinor27 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    @James Cook i tried it and it works very well, thanks for sharing, great suggestion!:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Hi James, Thank you for posting this, can't wait to try it.
    I love R3E but the movement is hard on me. I use RealHeadMovement in rf2, AC and GSCE and it works like a charm.
    It's not movement that bothers me, it's a horizon that bounces excessively.
    Thanks again for the info. :)
    Bailey

• Like Like x 1
  7. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    You'll be very happy with this, Bailey.

8. pinor27

pinor27 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I discovered that also setting cockpit movement to zero in-game options this moves the same.
    it would be nice for me to be able to reduce more cockpit movement, i will try ' :rolleyes:

9. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for Sharing this James, It's working great and I finally don't have to struggle with eye fatigue while driving.
    Now if only devs of all simracing games finally understood that shaking view is probably the worst, most artificial and not realistic way to simulate driver's eye view, so we wouldn't have to fix it for each game (and in this case each car) separately.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. pinor27

pinor27 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    hello,
    I noticed that the cokpit copied too the side slopes of the circuit, this gave a little 'bother me.
    i tried to increase the last value from 2.00000000 to 8.00000000 ( the other value as suggested on racedepartement) and it seems more 'good for me, my eyes say thanks:D

(sorry for my damn google translate ...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yes, VeloW said that higher values actually reduce the amount of pitch, yaw and roll, so in your case changing the 'roll' value from 2.00000000 to 8.00000000 will lessen that effect.

I set yaw and roll to zero as I don't want any movement in those vectors and increased pitch from 10 to 25 to make that effect more subtle. I may adjust things a little further.

@Sector3 ....any comment on this? If a simple text file tweak can yield such great results for so many people, shouldn't there be global pitch, yaw and roll sliders in the UI, and as a priority?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I just feel the need to write a few words in this thread.
    I'm not bothered at all of the shaking horizon, but thought I give it a go just to see the difference.

And this along with @mr_belowski's Pit to car radio app have taken this sim 10 steps forward for me!!

These settings gives the feeling of the G forces I have requested, and makes it look a lot more natural and realistic!
    Thanks a lot @James Cook for that link!

And devs:
    This should be in the Community Workshop!
    And as James said, you need to implement this as an option in the UI!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Proper job!!
    Good man, tempers the old vertigo! o_O

14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    More than strange that @Sector3 didn't do anything about it/ didn`t respond so far - when it's just about editing that file....thx btw. trying it myself.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Ok guys, as much as I see the neccessity to have that lock to horizon for those who get physical issues from cockpit shaking - I have to admit I find it totally unrealistic to edit the values like suggested above - maybe those who find it realistic are used to it from other sims , or prefer it because it makes driving more comfortable BUT considering that you are heavily tied to your racing seat in a pure racecar with stiff suspension and even with the option having some hydraulic features to counterbalance or whatever, there is no way there is no impact at all to your view (just realized that I initially found it unrealistic in AC right from the start). For me it takes away any physical simulation/sensation of being directly tied to the car, as well as in regard of the general immersion that makes R3E unique in my eyes - means I'm not merging with my car anymore !. I in fact INCREASED the cockpit movement levels to literally "feel" any bump I'm rolling over......sry to say that to those who have no (health-related) need to change it but did it anyway : Pussies :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  16. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't want a total lock to horizon, but this I like.
    It's somewhere in between.
    The horizon still bounces but it's evened out with the car moving a bit as well, as in real life I guess.
    Haven't been strapped down in a real race car, but I cant imagine that they strap the helmet to the chassie as well.. ;)

As you see in this BMW DTM helmet cam both the horizon and car is bouncing around. :)

17. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Bouncing horizon is not what your eyes would see/interpret. It's a view of a stiff onboard camera.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @heppsan

Change the pitch setting to something in between 30-40 and see what you think. It's a compromise between a lock-to-horizon and lock to car. You'll get a little horizon bounce but over all it feels more realistic.

Currently I'm running 30.00000000 (pitch), 0.00000000 (yaw), 30.00000000 (roll) and that feels good to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I have been fiddling a bit with the values myself, my last try was 50, 50, 50 and think that felt quite good.
    Will try your setting out when I have the time.

20. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    @heppsan

Lol, of course I was provoking - a good compromise is always of good use - I just find without using Track IR or sth similar S3 found a good way to simulate Head/Cockpit Motion (personally I just miss Look-to-Apex)..and last not least I experience no issues with how it is working.
    Edit: I don't believe the BMW driver in the vid is experiencing the motion like the helmet camera does - the eyes automatically get adapted to compensate in relation to head and car movement but never in a way as if not influenced by the law of physics at all..
    But blahblah :)...for those who get nauseous by or don't like it the way it is, (S3) bring some additional functions (incl. Look-to-Apex) to the game for gods sake :)

• Like Like x 1